U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,884 times
Default Planning to move to roanoke/salem!!!

Hi, I am planning to relocate to Roanoke/Salem area. I plan to drive up for a couple of days this weekend.
I need information about Jobs,living cost/areas to rent/avoid, activities, population. I am 31 and moving with my brother who is 23. I am a registered nurse and my brother is looking for community college, manufacturing jobs or any.

What is the base pay for registered nurses?I assume the pay will be significantly lower that what it is in Alexandia,VA. Are there any or manufacturing jobs?
I am planning to rent for now. How is cost of living in Roanoke/Salem? what are the good areas/areas to avoid?Are there nice shopping centers /big malls? Where do young people hang out? What is the population- age, diversity, colleges students, gyms or different activities, coffee shops, comedy clubs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 AM

156 posts, read 153,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsmall View Post
Hi, I am planning to relocate to Roanoke/Salem area. I plan to drive up for a couple of days this weekend.
I need information about Jobs,living cost/areas to rent/avoid, activities, population. I am 31 and moving with my brother who is 23. I am a registered nurse and my brother is looking for community college, manufacturing jobs or any.

What is the base pay for registered nurses?I assume the pay will be significantly lower that what it is in Alexandia,VA. Are there any or manufacturing jobs?
I am planning to rent for now. How is cost of living in Roanoke/Salem? what are the good areas/areas to avoid?Are there nice shopping centers /big malls? Where do young people hang out? What is the population- age, diversity, colleges students, gyms or different activities, coffee shops, comedy clubs?

Should be able to find answers to a lot of your questions by browsing older threads. But I will help ya out a bit.

You shouldn't have an issue finding work as an RN here. There are 2 large hospital systems in the area. HCA and Carilion. RNs are in demand, as you already know. As for your brother, Virginia Western Community College is located in Roanoke city. There are also a plethera of technical schools around.

Manufacturing jobs is a tough one. Industrial work is dominated by Norfolk and Southern here. Not to say that manufacturing jobs don't exist, just might take a little looking.

Population in the entire Roanoke Valley is around 350k. Age is a little older than NOVA, but go downtown on a Fri and Sat night and you will see the younger crowds. Tons of gyms (2 golds, planet fitness, Roanoke Athletic Club, 2 YMCAs, Green Ridge Rec Center)

Depending on what you are looking for and if want to be near all "the action" I would look into living downtown Roanoke. Plenty of new and modern lofts/apts are going up and you are located within walkin distance of bars/restaurants/Farmers Market/Shopping.

I moved here from Cleveland, OH and Roanoke definitely has the best of both worlds. Laid back southern feel with a touch of the urban life.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,358,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsmall View Post
VA Western Comm College is an option. Avoid NW Roanoke (near Melrose Ave). Southeast Roanoke is also nasty.

Quote:
I know an RN that makes 32 an hour, dunno if thats good or bad, but thats the number.

Quote:
i own so dunno about rent, cant be that bad.

The Roanoke county rec center in the north of the county (and its splash park/pools) are mint, theres also a gym on main st in Salem and one off electric rd near Starkey, the Roanoke athletic club.

Can't walk without walking into a coffee shop (or frozen yogurt) shop it seems. The Big Mall is Valley View, Tanglewood is much more geriatric and dead.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM

469 posts, read 601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Southeast Roanoke is also nasty.
Oh it is not. It's working class and solid, and has the greenway running through it.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Oh it is not. It's working class and solid, and has the greenway running through it.
Whenever I head to NY Pizza it looks like the houses are going to fall over.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

469 posts, read 601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Whenever I head to NY Pizza it looks like the houses are going to fall over.
New York Pizza is in Vinton. Southeast Roanoke ranges from the hospital to Campbell and includes Mill Mountain, the greenway, schools, parks, some gorgeous houses by the river and some tiny old ones out in Garden City, etc.

If you are taking Dale out to Vinton, you are not seeing Southeast Roanoke.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,942,591 times
The SE neighborhood around Jackson Park and the Buena Vista rec center is really unique. The homes are older but they have a unique quality of the 1940s,
1950s that the newer bland cookie cutter McMansions do not have. I remember a Mom & Pop grocery store across from Morningside School that was once quite
popular. I think the greenway by the River is starting to attract more interest.
I also like the views of Mill Mountain Star at night. I read somewhere where the
Buena Vista home was one of the first structures in Roanoke. It is probably the
closest thing we have in Roanoke of a pre civil war era mansion. I have noticed there has been more construction of newer homes in that older neighborhood.
The best part is the walking distance to downtown.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
New York Pizza is in Vinton. Southeast Roanoke ranges from the hospital to Campbell and includes Mill Mountain, the greenway, schools, parks, some gorgeous houses by the river and some tiny old ones out in Garden City, etc.

If you are taking Dale out to Vinton, you are not seeing Southeast Roanoke.

Why isn't that advertised better?

When I first get there off of 581 I see the "Welcome to SE" sign on 24...followed by houses along that road which look like they should be condemned.

First impressions matter.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,942,591 times
The way Roanoke likes to refurbish old structures(especially housing), I wouldn't be surprised in 10-20 years parts of SE will see a renaissance.
Many of those old houses now are at least 70-80 years old!! We might even see a "Fork in the City" restaurant there one day!! LOL!! There was an article in this months "Roanoker Magazine" which highlighted a NY couple who moved to an old home in SE and loves it there!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,884 times
Thanks everyone!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area