Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM

955 posts, read 4,072,068 times

Advertisements

If everything goes as planned, my wife and I will be moving from PA. to the Roanoke area this coming fall. My question is this - when we move we know we will have to register our vehicles in Virginia. I assume at this time we will also have to pay personal property tax on those vehicles. We are planning on buying a new car for my wife after we move, from a Roanoke dealership. Will we also then pay personal property tax on the new vehicle? Since PA. does not have a personal property tax, (we have a sales tax), does it make sense to buy a car here before we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,126,894 times
Personal property tax must be paid on all vehicles garaged in Virginia, regardless of where they are purchased. See here for info. It all gets pro-rated based on your move/purchase date.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,454,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Personal property tax must be paid on all vehicles garaged in Virginia, regardless of where they are purchased. See here for info. It all gets pro-rated based on your move/purchase date.
I think the proration depends on county/jurisdiction. Some counties do not prorate.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 62,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
does it make sense to buy a car here before we move?
The sales tax on a vehicle purchase in VA is 3%, in PA it is at least 6% and I believe as high as 8% in Philly. That should be your focus point, not property tax.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM

382 posts, read 861,143 times
My advice would be to sell the car in PA before you move if your getting a car right away in VA. Here's why; you can use the money for a down payment on the new car and skip the taxes on the car you would have brought down. Virginia assess the property tax on every vehicle you own as of January 1st of every year, so you get a lower tax on the new car because you won't "own" it in Virginia's eyes until January 2013, which gives the new car time to depreciate slightly.

In short, you will own it for a few months before it's assessed in 2013 at a lower, depreciated rate because it's a year older. You'll skip the hassle of having to pay to change the car from PA and then pay taxes and registration for the new one.

Rough idea w/ no trade-in based on $25,000 car; sales tax-$350, tags-$36.50, processing fee- up to $200 depending on dealer. Again, these are not exact numbers and some independant cities charge an additional sales tax. I don't know if Roanoke does, but I know Staunton,VA does, got caught there w/ my truck purchase.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 62,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
$25,000 car; sales tax-$350.
Is that right? 3% tax on $25,000 is $750, yes?

The sales tax is often larger than the savings on a sell and buy.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM

643 posts, read 2,375,714 times
For vehicle purchases, the Virginia sales tax is 3%. Personal property tax is NOT paid at the time of purchase. You will get the bill at roughly the same time as your real estate property tax bill. When you first bill is due depends on how the city or county collects personal property tax. Some have you pay the entire bill once a year and split it up into two payments. Some cities and counties prorate property tax while others do not.

Whether or not it makes sense for you to purchase in PA before you move depends on the exact situation. The sales tax for cars in VA is 3% and in PA is 6%. On a $30,000 that is a difference of $900. However, buying a car in the fall means you'll have to pay taxes on it in 2013 because you will have owned it as of 1/1/13. If the property taxes will be < $900 then it makes sense to buy in the fall. If you delayed your purchase until 1/2/13 you will not be assessed any taxes until 2014 and you would do even better.

If you're buying a house or itemizing your deductions on your federal taxes, don't forget that the personal property tax is deductible.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 53,607 times
VA has a personal property tax AND sales tax. And from what I can tell so far, their rates for property tax are outrageous. That's my only complaint so far.

When we licensed and registered our two cars and one motorcycle, we paid about $400 to the DMV (that included driver's licenses, too). Then a month or two later, I got a bill for two months of property taxes for 2011.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,578,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life'sABeach View Post
VA has a personal property tax AND sales tax. And from what I can tell so far, their rates for property tax are outrageous. That's my only complaint so far.

When we licensed and registered our two cars and one motorcycle, we paid about $400 to the DMV (that included driver's licenses, too). Then a month or two later, I got a bill for two months of property taxes for 2011.
In NY its called a registration fee. its all about getting your $.

VA seems to be double taxation, I dont forsee it being eliminated anytime soon, doubt any politician has the guts for it.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,539 times
Default ben bolt

Let me make sure I fully understand this VA tax situation...I have a 2009 Toyota RAV4.....i am taking it with me to VA...All though I have already paid Texas Sale Tax on the auto when I purchased it in Texas in 2009, are you saying that VA is going to charge me taxes again?....iF so, I hope they charge me taxes for what the car is actually worth now (2 1/2 years older)...These tax people in VA collect every penny they can legallky collect...Wonder if all the poeplke they have on their payroll collecting taxes bring in enough tax money to pay their salaries?

Ben Bolt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: