Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 PM

55 posts, read 198,472 times

Advertisements

I recently read a wikipedia article that stated that crime in the city is very high and at a couple sources at one point listed Roanoke as a dangerous city. Is crime really that bad all over? I at one point thought about relocating there or taking a trip there, but not so sure if I will now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
My wife and I visted Roanoke last September since we plan to relocate there in the near future. We were all over the area with 3 different real estate agents. They did not seem to be uncomfortable in any part of town and neither did we. Its my understanding that there are some bad sections, but this is true of any town this size. I can tell you that we felt better there than in certain areas of New Bern, and Hickory, NC where we had also looked. And we felt better there than in some area of Erie, PA where we now live.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Virginia has a unique and antiquated type of city/county set up. When statistics are searched for Roanoke, Richmond, etc the numbers are only about the city proper and not the county that surrounds it. Virginia has a independent city/county type of government. In all other states statistics of any kind(crime, income, real estate prices, etc)are combined with the county. I don't feel unsafe in Roanoke City but like any city there is crime in disadvantage sections.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM

216 posts, read 421,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
I recently read a wikipedia article that stated that crime in the city is very high and at a couple sources at one point listed Roanoke as a dangerous city. Is crime really that bad all over? I at one point thought about relocating there or taking a trip there, but not so sure if I will now.

I know this is a serious question, but the crime in Roanoke is not an issue. Like any city, there are parts that should be avoided, but I have never felt uncomfortable at any time in my 10 years here. Lived downtown for 9 of those years and had not one encounter with crime or uncomfortable situations.

Roanoke is a pleasant place to live, no doubt

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM

101 posts, read 314,294 times
I have been here almost 2yrs came from Phoenix AZ . I would not consider it a high crime area at all . But there is crime everywhere you go

Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM

523 posts, read 654,396 times
Every city has crime and Roanoke is no different, however the article on Wikipedia makes it seem worse than it is and should be updated. Roanoke at one point was named one of the most dangerous cities in Virginia but the public safety really has been stepped up in recent years, and Roanoke police have recently set up a Facebook page that has made it easier to connect and share with officers. Besides a few areas in town that see higher crime, the city itself (along with downtown) is an area I have never felt nervous to be in, along with the counties that surround it.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
I also noticed fatal hit and runs are counted as murders...not sure if thats accurate for crime reporting, but its done. This is a small city so it can really skew the numbers.

Like most cities criminals usually prey on each other anyway. Random violence is as blessedly rare here as it is everywhere else.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
I have lived here for 8 months. Truly love it here.

Crime is a non-issue for a majority of city. There are only certain areas I would not venture out on foot. Downtown, the mall, the shopping centers, restaurant areas are completely safe.

Most crime is in small pockets but folks keep to themselves. Lots of stuff is domestic violence - friends with friends, lovers with lovers, etc. It is not out of the ordinary in any town. Violent crimes such as robberies, murders and car jackings are not like in Florida. Most are fights and assaults.

That's the problem with statistics, it can be biased.

All in all, it's about situational awareness. Be aware of your surroundings. I see so many people preoccupied with their cell phones. Those are easy targets for any criminal to attack. Want to be safe? Keep your phone in your pocket when you're not in a TOTALLY SAFE PLACE. That goes for any city.

People are very friendly and helpful. I have no regrets being here. Great town.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM

12 posts, read 21,911 times
This is what I got from an officer about the areas...

Northwest = Worst Crime Area
Northeast = Mostly Blue Collar types of people...not to bad
Southeast = More of your country / hillbilly kind of people
Southwest = The best area
Downtown = Pretty good also, just your occasional drunks in the evenings from the bars.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 54,062 times
My husband and I moved to NW Roanoke from out of state with our new baby in October of last year, and haven't seen, heard of, or experienced any crime.

There ARE some good neighborhoods in NW Roanoke, you just have to look for them. The neighborhood where I live has an elementary school, numerous, churches, tree lined streets, sidewalks, etc., and that's not all something that you'll find in other parts of the city. It's also about a five minute drive from Valley View, so it's centrally located to the mall, restaurants, a movie theater, etc.

My area of NW Roanoke seems to have a bad rap, and from what I've seen in my short time here, unjustifiably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area