U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM

958 posts, read 594,283 times

Advertisements

Hey All!! I am so smitten by this lovely weather & would love to walk everywhere. Except, we dont have SIDEWALKS.
Tried greenways but you have to drive there, park the car,... takes away all the spontaneity, fun & seems like a chore. We complain about rising gas prices, obesity & health costs. This could be a simple solution to encourage people to walk (or bike) to grocery stores/work on a lovely day like this. I have heard about speed limit being the issue, especially on 419, but I have seen sidewalks in raleigh/durham on streets that have 45 speed limit. Making exercise as a part of your everyday life works more effectively than setting aside time to go to gym. Also, we could save so much on gas.
I hope this post shows up in search engines & some of our city planners/law makers seriously consider building sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,075,035 times
Oddly, there are very few sidewalks in Roanoke County where many of the nicer subdivisions are located. It seems as if the home builders had their way with Roanoke County supervisors in building homes in the past. In the older sections of Roanoke City there are sidewalks and many have access to neighborhood shops, especially in the South Roanoke area. The flight to the "suburbs" with its higher gas costs is definately reversing for many in Roanoke. We must all now think of the future and its challenges and how will be adapt.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM

469 posts, read 626,499 times
Where do you live, asma410? There are tons of sidewalks in Roanoke. Where I live they're on every block from here to the greenways and then some. One of the many benefits of city life over suburban life.

Also there are bike lanes all over the place too, so if you don't have sidewalks where you are, maybe you can ride your bike to the greenways?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 PM

503 posts, read 286,843 times
This doesn't exactly pertain to sidewalks, but I feel its still relevant to the discussion.

Check out this newly posted article, asma410. It has details about potential suburban greenways and a proposed greenway in South County that could eventually connect to the Roanoke River via Blue Ridge Parkway.

Cotton Hill – 221 Renovations Could Include Bike Paths / Greenways | News Roanoke

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

I live close to electric road. Would luv to see a stretch of sidewalk from tanglewood mall all the way thru 419, to salem main st & melrose intersection. And also on apperson rd in salem.
Thanks for the responses. I wish i cud start a petition someday. People who own houses can walk around in their neighborhoods but ppl living in apartments are stuck coz there is only parking lot to walk & some of them have very tight parking lots. Just walking to a closeby grocery store or pharmacy in evenings is so relaxing & healthy. Why do we have to depend on our cars even if the grocery store is less than a mile away? I hope our city officials gave it some serious thoughts. Build greenways that connect residential areas to grocery stores, restaurants, malls & put some benches on the way to enjoy the ambience

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 397 times
I recently moved back to Roanoke for the summer and was astounded at the lack of sidewalks in areas that most need them. Near Hidden Valley High School and Cave Spring Middle School, where children and young adults often run or bike, there are no safe pathways or sidewalks. This becomes even more hazardous when traveling up Bent Mountain and towards 12 O'clock Knob. Many of these areas would benefit greatly from sidewalks or bike paths. Though there is a rudimentary one located in the woods on Cotton Hill. However, this small sole example does not meet the needs of this suburban area.
There are endless benefits to having sidewalks and bike paths. The most evident benefits being 1) Eco-friendly travel in the form of walking or biking, 2) Safety in the form of a designated walking or biking area, that does not interfere with traffic and keeps school-aged children safe, 3) The promotion of healthier lifestyles in the form of walking and biking [to the grocery store, church, school, etc.].
I believe these are issues we must continue to address in the push for sidewalks. I would like to start a petition and letter in the next few months in order to bring this issue to the forefront of local politics.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,470,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinetrees View Post
I believe these are issues we must continue to address in the push for sidewalks. I would like to start a petition and letter in the next few months in order to bring this issue to the forefront of local politics.

Roanoke county is already badly in the red.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinetrees View Post
I would like to start a petition and letter in the next few months in order to bring this issue to the forefront of local politics.
Please do that. Its a great idea. I was excited about the greenways but didn't like driving there & parking before I can walk.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:48 PM

469 posts, read 626,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
People who own houses can walk around in their neighborhoods but ppl living in apartments are stuck coz there is only parking lot to walk & some of them have very tight parking lots.
There are lots of apartments in the city, where the sidewalks are. My street alone has subsidized housing, townhouses, little cape cod houses, big brick foursquare houses, and multiple apartment buildings. All on the bus route too. The city is where it's at, suburbs suck.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:44 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,590,765 times
I would love to see more sidewalks and bike paths.

Downtown Salem, South Roanoke City, Grandin, Vinton and Old Southwest are the only areas I'm aware that have sidewalks. Much of the county areas do not have a sidewalk. Areas like Hidden Valley and Hunting Hills are too steep and windy anyways. Other neighborhoods are just too small to even walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area