Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM

523 posts, read 654,633 times

Advertisements

For anyone still interested in this project, work has finally started on the condos that will be located on the 419 side of the hill. Other developments, like a Hilton Garden Inn, will not be started until later this year.

Here is a link to a short article, updating the project:

Roanoke Co. South Peak development sets foundation | WSLS 10

And here is a link to the development's newer website:

South Peak: Elevate Your Lifestyle (http://www.southpeak.net - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
A good sign the economy is getting better! Roanoke County needs some good news for a change!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Another update: South Peak development finally shows some structure - Roanoke.com

I know there were some questions and concerns about the restaurant choice when an article was published last summer, but from this article: "Jim Smith of Smith-Packett had said last summer that Cracker Barrel was interested in the site, but the restaurant seems to have passed on South Peak, Whitesell said.

Whitesell said Smith-Packett is now in talks with a smaller, more upscale restaurant chain. He wouldn't name the restaurant."

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 AM

The new condos from the photos resemble something I have seen in the animal
kingdom area of Disney World. They almost have an African lodge look to them.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Here are some pictures from South Peak's tree lighting a couple of weeks ago. There are also some pretty good pictures of the soon to be finished condos:

South Peak Christmas Tree Lighting - a set on Flickr

Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
SOUTH PEAK is in the news again...not so good, I fear...

Judging from the comments on the newspaper and TV sites, 99.9% of Roanokers saw this coming...

U.S. 220 reopens after retaining wall collapse near Tanglewood Mall - Roanoke Times: Roanoke

Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 PM

South Peak and the Taubman Museum are the 2 places Roanokers love to hate. I don't worry about the retaining wall or that big hill the development will sit on but the high winds that are likely during severe storms. My house sits on a hill, which is becoming very common around here as land becomes scarce and the higher wind speeds can be scary. I still think South Peak is a unique project but downtown Roanoke is where the energy has shifted in the valley. Downtown needs new development and a Hilton would do well also.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:21 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
South Peak and the Taubman Museum are the 2 places Roanokers love to hate. I don't worry about the retaining wall or that big hill the development will sit on but the high winds that are likely during severe storms. My house sits on a hill, which is becoming very common around here as land becomes scarce and the higher wind speeds can be scary. I still think South Peak is a unique project but downtown Roanoke is where the energy has shifted in the valley. Downtown needs new development and a Hilton would do well also.
I'm not a complainer - and I'm a newbie - but when I saw them butchering that mountain a few years ago, I couldn't believe it.

(But I'm fine with the Taubman LOL!)

Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM

I drove by South Peak today and I didn't notice any sign of a problem. I guess the developer got jittery. I did notice construction of the Hilton has started and the views of Tanglewood Mall and beyond were impressive. If I lived up there I would not enjoy driving up that hill in winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area