Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

216 posts, read 421,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
I've never been much into shopping, so what is around here is more than enough for me. However, especially for those coming from other cities, I can see how the shopping here would be limited. Something like Keagy Village could have turned into an attractive and upscale shopping center for these kind of stores, but at this point, I have no idea what will happen to it. The next best bet for these stores to locate here would be in the new development planned on the opposite side of Valley View that should be completed in about 5 years.

I've never completely understood how Charlottesville can attract all the stores that Roanoker's wish for. Is it the fact that UVA is located there? Closer proximity to the DC market? More wealthy citizens?
Bingo! If you were to compare the average income of Cville/Albemarle County residents and that of the Roanoke Valley, you would understand why they have better retail. That area is one of the more wealthy areas in the VA apart from NOVA. Add in the fact that most UVA students come from wealthier families and its a no brainer.

Sprawl and retail will happen. There really isn't anything you can do about it. I suspect that Riverfront, Ivy Market, South Peak will surprise a lot of people with what they will bring to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Sprawl and retail will happen. There really isn't anything you can do about it. I suspect that Riverfront, Ivy Market, South Peak will surprise a lot of people with what they will bring to the area.
Ah, but with the exception of the monstrosity known as South Peak, none of that is sprawl, it's actually urban renewal. Riverfront will be even be urban renewal with an actual strategic plan rather than a single developer's project. Be still my heart!

That is one of the things I love about this area: everything you need* but with a vibrant downtown and minimal sprawl.

*(but not everything you want...because IMO once you believe you have everything you want, you lose interest in the world beyond your own backyard, which is a sad state of affairs indeed)

Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Thanks for suggestions. I hope things improve. I will definitely keep looking in Stein Mart & other stores suggested in this thread. What bugs me is that we have great stores just like other cities but what they carry is wayyy off from big cities. The buyers hired by these stores are not meeting our expectations. If they have gone to the trouble of opening a branch here, then please keep us upto date with latest fashion. I see the same stuff lying around in every trip. They just trim the perimeter & make it look pretty but once you start searching the racks, its the same old junk.

Its not just the clothes, but every trip to barnes & nobles resulted in the reply: we dont have it here, you have to order it online. If these stores dont have what most of us need & we have to buy it online or drive outside of the city anyways, then why are they still open here??

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
The malls definitely do not have a good selection. However, I don't buy my work clothes here. Since I travel a lot, I buy clothes in cities I visit. Places to shop are not too far from here. I don't think that's a reason youngins don't stay. It's because there is little financial opportunity.

Now I go to Stein Mart and they have a lot of nice stuff. I can easily spend a few hundred on every visit there. The department stores are lacking. It is or has to do a lot with the demographic and the limited income. I don't shop often so I cannot tell you where the best places are for shopping. There's a Talbots and JoSABanks, here. I never visited. I don't dress to impress when I'm not at work. I enjoy wearing jeans and a T-shirt. It's simple and I'm not trying to impress anyone with clothes, cars and Worldly items.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
I buy 75% of the non-perishable items I have online. Books, music, electronics, whatever. That's just how things have been for me since about '99.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
I was going to say this was a shallow thread (no pun intended), but then I realized we load up on clothes in a giant outlet back in my home town in NY when we visit.

The nice thing about working from home is my work clothes are boxer shorts and a wife-beater. Every day.

Edit: If you're willing to avoid Valley View (always a no brainer) and shell out the $ for the quality, there are some really good local stores around the city and county.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I moved here over the summer from Northern Va and of course the shopping doesn't compare...but you just have to know where to look. The Marshalls here is just as good as the one in Fairfax, so I can still get my designer brand fix. I'm not picky about brand names though, and the Kohls here is as good as any other. I've been in the Macys at Valley View once and probably won't bother with it again. I also order things online and I shop on trips back "home."

For shoes, online ordering really is the way to go. With Zappos and Endless.com both having free shipping and returns, there's no risk if your purchase doesn't work out.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
i find that walmart and the goodwill stores keep me at the height of fashion

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
i find that walmart and the goodwill stores keep me at the height of fashion
That is the sad truth of the state of our economy in 2012! Growing up I never thought I would shop at Goodwill & WalMart just for basics and I would shop at
department stores and buy overpriced junk made in sweat shops in 3rd world nations. For those of us who can afford "better quality" merchandise now I am wondering how long that trend will last.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
I agree with everyone here. Online shopping is the best option or just driving to a bigger city every couple of months. I was looking into charlottesville.
Its difficult for department stores to survive in this town. I dont think i would even bother going back to the malls anymore. I was looking into driving to charlottesville 2-3 times a year to shop for clothes & shoes. I dont feel like spending money here if I cant find something reasonably attractive. I am not looking for anything high-end or expensive brands or boutiques, but simple yet attractive outfits at an affordable price. Forget about affordable prices, even the expensive clothes here are not good enough. Should have given up last year when I went shopping for a pair of simple black shoes for work & all I could find were either sky-high heels or really ugly boots. Yuck. Most of the time I end up buying the same pair of shoes that I have on because those are the only brand & design of platform shoes available in entire roanoke. I am not picky but c'mon, I should be able to find couple of decent shoes for work. I dont wear any special sizes nor I am being unreasonable picky. I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area