Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,587 times

Advertisements

On the way back up to Maryland from my sisters wedding in Raleigh, NC this summer, my parents and I want to stop through Lake Gaston for a day to check it out. It is a place they are considering retiring in a few years. We have never been but have heard good things...

Any suggestions on places to visit while we are there? My Mom really likes colonial style, little towns, antique shops, that kind of thing. Are there places that are far enough away.. but close enough to "stuff" for when they need to go out?
Would I have to contact a realtor to get anywhere close to places on the lake, I'm assuming there is no real public access?
Are there many churches to choose from? Or small town one church type of thing?

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM

485 posts, read 689,703 times
This is a Roanoke forum. It is pretty far from Lake Gaston . . Roanoke is near Smith Mountain Lake

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Any suggestions on places to visit while we are there? My Mom really likes colonial style, little towns, antique shops, that kind of thing. Are there places that are far enough away.. but close enough to "stuff" for when they need to go out?
Would I have to contact a realtor to get anywhere close to places on the lake, I'm assuming there is no real public access?
Are there many churches to choose from? Or small town one church type of thing?
Hello - We also looked briefly at Lake Gaston as a place to retire and decided against it. The major reason was the lack of amenitites nearby. You would have to go to larger town 15 to 20 miles away for a hospital. The small towns servicing the area are Littleton, NC and Clarksville, VA. Littleton has a grocery store, a couple motels and boating supply places.

We found the housing choices disappointing, as we saw mostly rustic summer cabin places. Your wife would probably disappointed with the area. There are a couple historic places in Clarksville, and I never saw an antique store. The major recreation is fishing in the lake. For churches, there are probably several flavors of Baptist.

You are correct that a realtor would have to show you around, as many communities were posted or gated. The area may work for you, but it just did not work for us.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Hello - We also looked briefly at Lake Gaston as a place to retire and decided against it. The major reason was the lack of amenitites nearby. You would have to go to larger town 15 to 20 miles away for a hospital. The small towns servicing the area are Littleton, NC and Clarksville, VA. Littleton has a grocery store, a couple motels and boating supply places.

We found the housing choices disappointing, as we saw mostly rustic summer cabin places. Your wife would probably disappointed with the area. There are a couple historic places in Clarksville, and I never saw an antique store. The major recreation is fishing in the lake. For churches, there are probably several flavors of Baptist.

You are correct that a realtor would have to show you around, as many communities were posted or gated. The area may work for you, but it just did not work for us.

Where did you end up, if you don't mind me asking. This is actually for my parents...

I think they are really looking for a nice lake house that is far enough away.. but close enough. So if they could drive 15 minutes to get to everything the need, that would be bad I don't think. But I'm sure some places would be better than others. A cute town semi close by would be their top choice.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I think they are really looking for a nice lake house that is far enough away.. but close enough. So if they could drive 15 minutes to get to everything the need, that would be bad I don't think. But I'm sure some places would be better than others. A cute town semi close by would be their top choice.
We moved to Sneads Ferry, NC near North Topsail Beach, in a water access community near the Intercoastal WaterWay.

You parents might like Littleton or Clarksville. There were some older houses worth restoring in Littleton. It has potential, but it isn't a tourist town yet. I think it has a doctor and drug store, but the hospital is in Roanoke Rapids about 20 miles away. About the same is true of Clarksville, VA-- the hospital is in South Boston.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,129 times
Littleton is just 15-20 minutes from Roanoke Rapids and Lake Gaston is between I-85 and I-95 on the VA/NC state line close enough to Raleigh/Durham and Richmond. South Hill VA is close too. Roanoke Rapids being the closest town with shopping center, entertainment, restaurants and hotels etc. Lake Gaston has constant water levels with no floating docks (unlike Kerr Lake). There are public access boat ramps but the vast majority are privately owned lake lots with private boathouses.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegaston View Post
Littleton is just 15-20 minutes from Roanoke Rapids and Lake Gaston is between I-85 and I-95 on the VA/NC state line close enough to Raleigh/Durham and Richmond. South Hill VA is close too. Roanoke Rapids being the closest town with shopping center, entertainment, restaurants and hotels etc. Lake Gaston has constant water levels with no floating docks (unlike Kerr Lake). There are public access boat ramps but the vast majority are privately owned lake lots with private boathouses.

Awesome! I'm excited to check it out this summer with them. What quadrant are you most familiar with?

I think we will be looking in the areas within 30 or so minutes from Roanoke rapids.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,129 times
All Lake Gaston quadrants are nice. The closest to Roanoke Rapids would be the SE Quad where you have subdivisions such as Myrick Estates, Evergreen, Two Creeks, Timber Creek, Roanoke Shores, Cross Creek, Lake Shores South, Eatons Ferry Estates.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM

159 posts, read 258,986 times
i am thinking the same thing about the stores being far away. In the NE corner I heard elizabethtown is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area