U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,167 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm looking at places to live in VA. Was researching mainly places near the mountains because I love the views and I love outdoor things to do. Is Blue Ridge, Covington, or Radford good places to live?? Looking for a smaller town with a cute "downtown" and a friendly community. I'm going for my RN right now and by the time I move I'll be married. How are the hospitals down there? No kids right now, just 2 kitties.

Just looking for something different besides Ohio that's a little more country than Cleveland LOL. I'm tired of so many people and I want a house with a few acres. Is this possible in any of the above places mentioned or any suggestions for places close by with land available? Soon-to-be hubby is going into electrical engineering, so that's something we also have to consider Ohh also, will it be a problem that we're "northerners"? Have no idea how the people are in this area, just a pondering question. How are housing prices and taxes in this area? High or pretty moderate? Thanks for your time and sorry for all the questions...inquisitive mind! Hope to hear from someone soon!

Last edited by LoveMyDoxies; 05-08-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

503 posts, read 278,316 times
All the places you mentioned are sure to have nice mountain views with obviously a much more country feel than Cleveland. Even living in somewhere close to Roanoke or Blacksburg you will experience the same mountain views and you will find more job opportunities on a larger scale. If you have not set your mind on one of the locations you listed, you are sure to be able to find substantial acreage and an overall country feel moving to the outskirts of Roanoke in places like Botetourt (Blue Ridge), Franklin, Roanoke, Montgomery (where Radford is located) or Bedford counties, but still be close enough to the city if you would like to experience that. First and foremost, you should have jobs lined up and then move to that location afterward, but you can find a taste of country and mountain views just about everywhere in SW Virginia.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,167 times
Jobs are definitely a big priority...I'm hoping that having my Bachelor's in nursing will help make the relocation search easier, as I did see there are quite a few different hospitals around the Roanoke area and its outskirts. Our only problem is my fiance and his electrical engineering degree and the hope that one of the many hospitals there will hire me.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,512,127 times
Good luck with your schooling. Try to get training for critical care or emergency medicine. There's always a market for those.

Based upon your original post, Roanoke, Charlottesville or Harrisonburg would fit the bill.

Roanoke has a lot to offer and is worth a visit. If you want mountain views and land, you'll need to live a bit further out from the city/county. Franklin and Botetourt Counties are your best bet for price. Roanoke county is very difficult to find something like that in an affordable price range. Being a Northerner your tolerance for commuting will get you a far amount of land if you don't mind the drive but schools need to be a consideration as your family grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area