U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 PM

1,983 posts, read 3,713,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Agreed! I love the "refurbed" apartments, but imagine if we added a high rise Condo/Apt building? It would be something different. BUT finding someone to finance something like that will be really difficult. It's much easier to get money to refurb a building. Especially a historical building.

I still have hopes that the Riverfront project will bring a semi-highrise apt building. You figure that it has to be built vertically because it sits in the flood zone. I am very anxious to see that progress. Hopefully breaking ground this Fall!!
From what I have read the new apartment building in the Riverfront area will be a high rise, I hope the architects will add some style with balconies and not just a cold, sterile hospital like building. I wouldn't live there simply because I like to walk downtown during the day, but it is an exciting project!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

407 posts, read 286,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
There is plenty of parking. There is way more parking than gets used. People just don't like to use the garages or walk a block or two. People want street parking right in front of the store they're going into. That's not how it works in a vibrant city center. You park in a garage and walk to your destination.

People don't mind walking across several blocks'-worth of asphalt at Valley View or Target, but downtown they want to be able to see their car from their restaurant table. It's silly.
Co-signed! They also don't want to have to pay $2 or $4 for parking which is a bargain when compared to larger cities. There are many parking garages downtown that have plenty of available parking. Having lived in the DC area most of my life, I've been confounded by the prevailing fear of parking garages in Roanoke. I think nothing of parking in one daily, and have no fear that I will be a crime victim. I find many locals to have the opposite mentality. (This fear didn't occur to me in DC, either). I feel as though I am no more likely to be a crime victim in a parking garage than I am anywhere else.

It is nice that a male often offers to walk me to my car in the later evening. I just don't find it necessary. However, never let it be said that chivalry is dead!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,096,110 times
I drove into Manhattan for work.

Downtown Roanoke parking is essentially the parking version of heaven.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

146 posts, read 136,034 times
Just a quick FYI - Beamers 25 is opening tomorrow. Located in the West Station apartment building on Salem Ave next to the Habitat Store.

Gourmet Burgers, 20 beers on tap, 20+ bourbons and I believe outdoor eating.

If anyone goes, let me know how it is!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM

146 posts, read 136,034 times
We knew this was coming, but not exactly what the plans were. Guess we will find out what the plans for Evans Springs today.

Public to get 1st look at plan for property near Valley View - Roanoke.com

Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM

3,169 posts, read 3,236,327 times
You know what they say...Build it and they will come....there are lots of baby boomers searching for places to retire (like myself) and are taking a good look at Roanoke. What is being done downtown sounds very exciting and people seem open to growth.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM

760 posts, read 1,072,647 times
Big section featuring downtown Roanoke in today's Roanoke Times....some very interesting articles...

A Downtown Evolution: How private developers are challenging stereotypes, expanding boundaries and changing the perception of Roanoke's city center - Roanoke.com

Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,713,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
An interesting article on the old Heironimus building which seems to be in bad shape. Unfortunately that corner
is a critical spot for future development. I think the City should take a serious look at what needs to be done
to get rid of the eyesore, even if it means tearing the structure down to make the space more attractive for
a developer. I would like to see a Hotel with parking there instead of even more Hotels at Valley View Mall?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 AM

760 posts, read 1,072,647 times
I am a future Roanoker and very impressed with the blossoming of downtown! We are moving to ROA to “pre-retire.” Initially we had our eyes on the older homes in Roanoke City, but the downtown living is looking more and more appealing. Don’t underestimate the appeal of downtown living to empty-nesters!

One thought…I wonder if anyone else has considered. The present Valley Metro station is very well located. I know there are limitations as to what transit can offer in a metro area the size of Roanoke, but I am impressed by the timing of the transfers so that folks who are riding two buses to get somewhere do not have to mix in a 20-30 minute wait for their second bus.

Having said that, the downtown Valley Metro transfer center (an enclosed garage on Campbell Ave.) is dark and full of diesel fumes. I wonder if there is a spot where an “open-air” transfer center could be developed that would have much more visual appeal (despite some occasional weather inconvenience). The “open air” transfer centers are used a lot (with covering of course). Just a "first impression" from an outsider!

Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 AM

407 posts, read 286,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Just a quick FYI - Beamers 25 is opening tomorrow. Located in the West Station apartment building on Salem Ave next to the Habitat Store.

Gourmet Burgers, 20 beers on tap, 20+ bourbons and I believe outdoor eating.

If anyone goes, let me know how it is!
I went Tuesday night for the first time. I sat at the bar with a friend and had a couple of glasses of wine and the turkey burger, which was delicious! I was impressed with the menu and the prices are very reasonable. I asked the bartender how business has been and she said they are packed on Friday and Saturday nights. There is parking adjacent to the building. I will be back! Especially since I now know that on Wednesdays every bottle of wine is half-price.

In contrast, I went to Wasena City Tap Room (I know, not downtown) on opening weekend (something I don't normally do) and was unimpressed with the food and service. I might give them another try after they've had time to work out the kinks, but I don't know. I've just moved out of the neighborhood and may be hard-pressed to drive over there for another round of meh food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area