Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but does anyone know why the old Heironimus building on Jefferson Street continues to remain vacant and an eyesore? With all of the money being spent downtown by Ed Walker on his many projects I can't understand why there is so much apathy about the most important corner downtown. Since the Market area is getting so much attention from developers it seems there is a need for a hotel/parking garage on the Heironimus location. I understand Hilton Garden Inn is planning something at South Peak but it baffles me why they don't look at downtown. Hotel Roanoke stays full so there is no other alternative for guests and more meeting space is greatly needed downtown plus Church Avenue remains dead. Very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM

216 posts, read 421,873 times
Developers just announced that they purchased the Crystal Tower and will build 70 apartments and new retail space. This building is on the corner of Campbell and 2nd st.

New owner plans apartments, retail for Roanoke's Crystal Tower building - Roanoke.com

Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM

I heard a rumor yesterday from a friend who said the City will announce a new
Hotel to be built at the new Church Avenue parking garage next to the Fire Station June 21. It will be a chain and it has already been given air rights so it must be a high rise building. That Hotel will bring more people to downtown!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM

523 posts, read 654,584 times
Work will also begin on the Shenandoah Building within the next month to turn it in to 90 apartments.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/309744

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I heard a rumor yesterday from a friend who said the City will announce a new
Hotel to be built at the new Church Avenue parking garage next to the Fire Station June 21. It will be a chain and it has already been given air rights so it must be a high rise building. That Hotel will bring more people to downtown!
Interesting rumor and if true should continue to add to the positive vibe downtown. I also think Roanoke could use some new development downtown, either for housing or other uses. In the meantime, converting old, vacant buildings seems to be working well. And on that point, I've found it interesting that almost every downtown project, either condo or apartment, has been mostly, if not completely leased by the opening date. Yet, there is certainly no mass migration to move to Roanoke, as shown in recent slow population growth. Does that mean that most of the people living in these new projects downtown are moving from the county and suburbs, or are these projects really becoming home for many first time residents?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 AM

Because Roanoke did not tear down all of its old buildings like Charlotte, Greensboro for example and build cold, sterile structures I believe that was a
key in the more "people friendly" atmosphere of downtown. I don't know where all of these people are coming from to buy downtown properties but it is definately folks who are tired of the "suburbs" of bland cookie cutter homes, neatly manicured lawns and too much conformity. Downtown definately has a vibe of a much bigger city with a trend toward 24/7 living. Now, if we can get more retail(even a general store like in Asheville)a decent food store, a Hotel,
and even some chain type fast food restaurants(not very popular I know).

Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Because Roanoke did not tear down all of its old buildings like Charlotte, Greensboro for example and build cold, sterile structures I believe that was a
key in the more "people friendly" atmosphere of downtown. I don't know where all of these people are coming from to buy downtown properties but it is definately folks who are tired of the "suburbs" of bland cookie cutter homes, neatly manicured lawns and too much conformity. Downtown definately has a vibe of a much bigger city with a trend toward 24/7 living. Now, if we can get more retail(even a general store like in Asheville)a decent food store, a Hotel,
and even some chain type fast food restaurants(not very popular I know).

I for one have always wondered why "chains" haven't popped up downtown. I think they would draw even more people downtown rather than to Valley View.

Adding to the skyline would be great if they can make it happen with a hotel. I am in full support!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
And on that point, I've found it interesting that almost every downtown project, either condo or apartment, has been mostly, if not completely leased by the opening date. Yet, there is certainly no mass migration to move to Roanoke, as shown in recent slow population growth. Does that mean that most of the people living in these new projects downtown are moving from the county and suburbs, or are these projects really becoming home for many first time residents?
This is a broader trend for a variety of reasons. Home ownership rates have declined (more renters), and more and more people (young folks, old folks) are drawn to walkable areas vs the traditional suburbs.

We're seeing the same thing in downtown Richmond where over 1,300 apartment units have been delivered since 2010 with 1,200 more currently under construction... and the vacancy rate is just 4%. Downtown population doubled between 2000 and 2010.

I really like Roanoke's downtown... hope the positive momentum continues.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Though the local restaurants downtown are a fabulous draw and we are very fortunate we have as many as we do, I also wouldn't mind a few good chain restaurants downtown. Something that is not established here and would bring even more people in. When the Center in the Square reopens, I think to have a roof-top restaurant succeed it will almost have to be a chain that people have heard of and would flock to. An unknown restaurant on top of a museum roof would seem to me to be quite difficult to sustain.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
Though the local restaurants downtown are a fabulous draw and we are very fortunate we have as many as we do, I also wouldn't mind a few good chain restaurants downtown. Something that is not established here and would bring even more people in. When the Center in the Square reopens, I think to have a roof-top restaurant succeed it will almost have to be a chain that people have heard of and would flock to. An unknown restaurant on top of a museum roof would seem to me to be quite difficult to sustain.

+10000 This really is the only way to make it work. I agree.

Could you imagine something like J Alexanders coming up there. A pipedream, but would be awesome. Shoot, I would settle for a PF Changs or Maggiano's

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM

@roanoker4: Not sure if its just a coincident or not, but today DRI announced that their annual meeting was scheduled for June 21st. So if a hotel is to be built, I guess we will find out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
+10000 This really is the only way to make it work. I agree.

Could you imagine something like J Alexanders coming up there. A pipedream, but would be awesome. Shoot, I would settle for a PF Changs or Maggiano's
Agreed, that would be nice. Ruth's Chris would be another one. I even remember someone mentioning that Hard Rock Cafe would be a big draw if it would locate there. Doubtful that they would though, since they seem to locate only in large cities or in popular destinations, such as Gatlinburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area