U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
 
650 posts, read 808,740 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

How much more commercial development does Forest need? I wouldn't say that Honda corner you're talking about in Lynchburg is any place to live so having a...what is it...Fresh Foods there where there's been 40 accidents in the last two years because of the poor road planning is a big deal.
...the point being, Cully, that there is a reason that Fresh Market is locating in Lynchburg and not, say, near Wyndhurst. You misunderstood may comment; you originally insinuated that all the new development is happening in Forest, and that is not true. There are some developers trying to dump lots that they speculated on, and plenty of upside down young couples who bought more than they can handle, but there is very little new development in Forest, at all. There has been more residential development in Campbell County along the 29 corridor than anywhere else in the area. One other issue with Forest- so many dual income families that they have a very difficult time staffing the volunteer fire department. There are problems where you live when your fireman has to leave his job in Lynchburg to come out to your house. I'm content with the higher taxes and the far better services here in the city. I also appreciate the fact that I can get anything I want and eat any kind of food I want without more than a ten minute drive from my house; beats my friends 50+ minutes everyday he spends just driving from his house to his office and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
 
650 posts, read 808,740 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
O
Few can also sell their wonderful old homes in Lynchburg. What I've seen happen over and over is people hear about Lynchburg and go to look at the enormous mansions or the small homes or the lofts for a fraction of the price they'd pay in NY, Phillie, DC, cities in CA etc....and then find themselves wandering to Forest and they can get that same home much newer, more open space and more mountain views.
Also, since I don't think you actually live in the Lynchburg region, I wanted to point out that those lofts downtown seem to have no problem filling up. Just in the last 6 weeks, there has been a block of four buildings that have been undergoing complete remodeling for condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,278,684 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Also, since I don't think you actually live in the Lynchburg region, I wanted to point out that those lofts downtown seem to have no problem filling up. Just in the last 6 weeks, there has been a block of four buildings that have been undergoing complete remodeling for condos.
Remodeling doesn't mean filling up. And filling up doesn't mean purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,278,684 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
...the point being, Cully, that there is a reason that Fresh Market is locating in Lynchburg and not, say, near Wyndhurst. You misunderstood may comment; you originally insinuated that all the new development is happening in Forest, and that is not true. There are some developers trying to dump lots that they speculated on, and plenty of upside down young couples who bought more than they can handle, but there is very little new development in Forest, at all. There has been more residential development in Campbell County along the 29 corridor than anywhere else in the area. One other issue with Forest- so many dual income families that they have a very difficult time staffing the volunteer fire department. There are problems where you live when your fireman has to leave his job in Lynchburg to come out to your house. I'm content with the higher taxes and the far better services here in the city. I also appreciate the fact that I can get anything I want and eat any kind of food I want without more than a ten minute drive from my house; beats my friends 50+ minutes everyday he spends just driving from his house to his office and back.


I don't insinuate. Rather, I stated Forest is where new building is. Since the original poster asked about places in which to live that are amiable and safe I am concentrating more on residential than much commercial. I am definitely not concentrating on that Hundai, Honda, former trailer park now razed, Fresh Market four corner area. Not that there's anything wrong with those businesses. Just a place one goes to for whatever needs can be met there.


As would be the 9,000 sf Dollar General slated for the corner of Coffee and Boonesboro.


Regarding upside down loans...hey, that's all over the place. Regarding dual incomes hampering the Volunteer FD. I have found there are more moms very very busy and seldom home but because they have committed to get the best for their children. Lots of activities, lots of lessons and classes and family involvement in sports, lots of success on regional and national levels so there's more travel, etc. Yes, they often have at least a college degree and are often able to fit in utilizing it during school hours.

The Fire Dept...Lynchburg, Bedford County and, I guess Campbell County go back and forth with their fire depts and emts and ambulances. And the state troopers share too. So it all works out...except still not thrilled about Campbell County...although I love that Hunters something subdivision off 460. (Not the 29/airport cheaper area of Campbell County) Concord is also great.


See now if you worked on the east side you could live there...higher end...low taxes and take 460 up to wherever you needed to go easily and quickly.


50 minutes. Your friend must live more towards Goode. Forest, especially close in Forest or parts of Forest where you can easily get to take 460 make it very easy.


By the way, you sound like you might not realize Wyndhurst is in Lynchburg. 24502. Cute little village. Didn't turn out the way they had thought it would. Did turn out the way some wiser people thought it would.


I don't know if we need to be so narrow minded we even notice when we cross the county line. Friends in Lake Vista in Forest get to restaurants easily in 15, 20 minutes. That's why people appreciate substituting the rat race for the mouse race in the greater Lynchburg area.


Talking about Lake Vista. If you can find a condo or house right on the lake there that's a great view...sunrises, sunsets over woods and mountain views depending on where your house is. And a quick straight shot to the expressway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
 
650 posts, read 808,740 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Remodeling doesn't mean filling up. And filling up doesn't mean purchase.
Cully- Your comments have little basis in truth. Do you really think that all the units in downtown have been left empty, and all the while developers keep starting new projects? Look at the number of vacancies downtown. Call Marjette Glass in the economic development office- she can tell you how many new residences there have been in the last two years in just the small area bounded by 5th St., the Expressway, Church St, and Jefferson St. Before you ramble on about Fire Dep./EMS/police sharing, do a bit of research on the area. You have some fair observations, but you obviously have just visited here rather than being a long-time resident
You missed the math in the 50+ minutes- I said to AND from (that would mean 25 minutes each way) Midtown to Ivy Hill. Next time you are in town drive it at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Lastly, check the building permits. PM me if you don't know how to find them. There is more development, both commercially and residential in Lynchburg than there is in Forest. Don't just spout off that I am wrong- currently, there is one planned mixed use (apartments) development in the Forest area and no new neighborhood/townhome developments. There are more units being developed in the Greenview complex (apartments/townhomes/houses) than in the Forest area right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,278,684 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Cully- Your comments have little basis in truth. Do you really think that all the units in downtown have been left empty, and all the while developers keep starting new projects? Look at the number of vacancies downtown. Call Marjette Glass in the economic development office- she can tell you how many new residences there have been in the last two years in just the small area bounded by 5th St., the Expressway, Church St, and Jefferson St. Before you ramble on about Fire Dep./EMS/police sharing, do a bit of research on the area. You have some fair observations, but you obviously have just visited here rather than being a long-time resident
You missed the math in the 50+ minutes- I said to AND from (that would mean 25 minutes each way) Midtown to Ivy Hill. Next time you are in town drive it at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Lastly, check the building permits. PM me if you don't know how to find them. There is more development, both commercially and residential in Lynchburg than there is in Forest. Don't just spout off that I am wrong- currently, there is one planned mixed use (apartments) development in the Forest area and no new neighborhood/townhome developments. There are more units being developed in the Greenview complex (apartments/townhomes/houses) than in the Forest area right now.
OH, man. Greenview that keeps being built out with no chance of purchase so that it's become Liberty town with tons of student rentals and the parents who bought a few years ago are upset they did for just that reason. Nice kids but still. And the institutional look. Oh, man. Can't get my mind around thinking that's anything to go on about. Now the FIOS....that is a draw. But then Liberty does insist on the very best. Good for them. I do know people who rent there just to have an "office" for their "at home business. I mean they live ...come to think of it in Ivy Hill, Forest. That is close to Goode and cell phone reception is still bad as far as I know there. They loved the fiber optics but wanted the quiet, mountains, open space and top notch schools for their kids. Can't blame them. However, Verizon is surprisingly getting caught up and is now offering very very high speed so these guys will let go of their rental when the leases expire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,278,684 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Cully- Your comments have little basis in truth. Do you really think that all the units in downtown have been left empty, and all the while developers keep starting new projects? Look at the number of vacancies downtown. Call Marjette Glass in the economic development office- she can tell you how many new residences there have been in the last two years in just the small area bounded by 5th St., the Expressway, Church St, and Jefferson St. Before you ramble on about Fire Dep./EMS/police sharing, do a bit of research on the area. You have some fair observations, but you obviously have just visited here rather than being a long-time resident
You missed the math in the 50+ minutes- I said to AND from (that would mean 25 minutes each way) Midtown to Ivy Hill. Next time you are in town drive it at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Lastly, check the building permits. PM me if you don't know how to find them. There is more development, both commercially and residential in Lynchburg than there is in Forest. Don't just spout off that I am wrong- currently, there is one planned mixed use (apartments) development in the Forest area and no new neighborhood/townhome developments. There are more units being developed in the Greenview complex (apartments/townhomes/houses) than in the Forest area right now.

I don't see what is amiss in towns and tertiary cities sharing law enforcement and fire dept help. I see no purpose nor morals in people sitting in a fire house with no calls while a house burns in a neary area across the city line because that city is busy. Fortunately, they agree in many areas.

The 50 minute commute to and from is one of those things that can be taken either way. To make your argument, I'd have stuck with the 50 minutes one way. No one in their right mind is going to think that a commute under a half hour is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM
 
650 posts, read 808,740 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I don't see what is amiss in towns and tertiary cities sharing law enforcement and fire dept help. I see no purpose nor morals in people sitting in a fire house with no calls while a house burns in a neary area across the city line because that city is busy. Fortunately, they agree in many areas.

The 50 minute commute to and from is one of those things that can be taken either way. To make your argument, I'd have stuck with the 50 minutes one way. No one in their right mind is going to think that a commute under a half hour is bad.
When everything you do as a family requires that back and forth time (other than Krogering or going to CVS) it adds up quickly. At least it is only 15 minutes to the hardware store! I agree on your first point, but it doesn't happen that way in Virginia. Simply the fact that a county resident chooses the lower tax option is an indicator that those services are not as high a priority. Reciprocity is the norm, but the city will not send a unit out of their jurisdiction if it will jeopardize their service to the people that pay their bills. There are few places in the city that a fire truck or EMS unit can't respond within 7-8 minutes. Not that way in the counties.

Bac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,278,684 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
When everything you do as a family requires that back and forth time (other than Krogering or going to CVS) it adds up quickly. At least it is only 15 minutes to the hardware store! I agree on your first point, but it doesn't happen that way in Virginia. Simply the fact that a county resident chooses the lower tax option is an indicator that those services are not as high a priority. Reciprocity is the norm, but the city will not send a unit out of their jurisdiction if it will jeopardize their service to the people that pay their bills. There are few places in the city that a fire truck or EMS unit can't respond within 7-8 minutes. Not that way in the counties.

Bac
Actually, Forest is nearby and while it's volunteer there is still staff there, not at home or work elsewhere.

Recently, the Fort Ave Lynchburg (just as close as say the one near the Sheetz and new park because of the expressway) emts and ambulance were on a trip to pick up someone in Bedford City...not fast, sirens-going kind of ride, just needed pros to pick up. But they got the call about the stroke in Lake Vista about 10 minutes away and went there instead. And someone else went to Bedford because these guys were around for hours and then hung at the hospital waiting for their next call to anywhere they were needed. There's always someone around.

About the hardware store. You realize you can get from 221 to Lowes on Timberlake by taking 221 in just a few minutes right? Now, if people want to live in Goode or close to it...they choose that in order to have less infrastructure...less structure...to be more laid back. It's just not possible to have more crowded conditions and the country life all in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
 
650 posts, read 808,740 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Actually, Forest is nearby and while it's volunteer there is still staff there, not at home or work elsewhere.

Recently, the Fort Ave Lynchburg (just as close as say the one near the Sheetz and new park because of the expressway) emts and ambulance were on a trip to pick up someone in Bedford City...not fast, sirens-going kind of ride, just needed pros to pick up. But they got the call about the stroke in Lake Vista about 10 minutes away and went there instead. And someone else went to Bedford because these guys were around for hours and then hung at the hospital waiting for their next call to anywhere they were needed. There's always someone around.

About the hardware store. You realize you can get from 221 to Lowes on Timberlake by taking 221 in just a few minutes right? Now, if people want to live in Goode or close to it...they choose that in order to have less infrastructure...less structure...to be more laid back. It's just not possible to have more crowded conditions and the country life all in one.
Cully- again, you show how little you know about the area. How about a little Google Maps- Ivy West Ct to Timberlake Rd. Why even bother discussing emergency services, because you surely don't understand their workings. One of the issues with Forest is the fact that they don't have their own EMTs. They rely on Campbell County EMTs; mutual aid from Lynchburg is not unheard of, but it certainly isn't common, and most definitely wouldn't be provided in the area around Ivy Hill and those developments along Perrowville Rd. Why not just recognize that Bedford County might be more serene, but is lacking in services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top