U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 31,715 times
Default Farmers Market in Roanoke

I have heard there was a large Farmers market in Roanoke. I would like to go there the next time I am in the area. Does anyone know exactly where it is?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM

567 posts, read 1,460,995 times
Yes! It's right in the heart of downtown Roanoke, along Market Street.

Farmer's market loc: roanoke, VA - Google Maps

Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 AM

232 posts, read 1,153,463 times
Yes, the whole area of and surrounding the market is a wonderful place to roam around. It is located in Downtown.. as I recall Campbell Avenue. I'm not certain on that, but I do know that if you drive down I-581, there are adequate street signs to direct you there. There is also Center in the Square as well as an abundance of restaurants. Not many franchises at all. The food court, adjacent to the farmers market, offers many types of foods. It is a very unique area.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 PM

709 posts, read 2,213,284 times
Smile Here are some pictures of the Farmers Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouFerr View Post
I have heard there was a large Farmers market in Roanoke. I would like to go there the next time I am in the area. Does anyone know exactly where it is?
We love to go to the Farmers Market.

Here are pictures from a trip we did earlier this year.

This post on my View from the Mountain Blog has a number of links to older online albums I have done of the market.

Here's a Google Map link, most of the market is between Campbell and Kirk on Market Street though it does spill over.

There are a number of parking lots available. If you get there before ten am on a Saturday, you can probably find a free parking spot in Center in the Square which is just east of Jefferson along Campbell. On the week days, it fills up before 9 am.

While you are there, you should have lunch in the old Market Building. One of my favorites is Burger in the Square which I think serves the best burger in Roanoke.

Then there is On the Rise Bakery, I would love to have a loaf of their great bread.

If I can answer more questions, give me a shout.

-David Sobotta

Old 10-14-2007, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 31,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post

This post on my View from the Mountain Blog has a number of links to older online albums I have done of the market.

Here's a Google Map link, most of the market is between Campbell and Kirk on Market Street though it does spill over.

There are a number of parking lots available. If you get there before ten am on a Saturday, you can probably find a free parking spot in Center in the Square which is just east of Jefferson along Campbell. On the week days, it fills up before 9 am.

While you are there, you should have lunch in the old Market Building. One of my favorites is Burger in the Square which I think serves the best burger in Roanoke.

Then there is On the Rise Bakery, I would love to have a loaf of their great bread.

-David Sobotta
Thank you so much. We are heading to Roanoke this week to look at real estate. Is the market open year round?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:03 AM

41 posts, read 81,654 times
Smile nice pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post

-David Sobotta
I enjoyed your pictures so much! Food looks great. Last week-end I ended up in Wythville, VA and saw the signs to go to Roanoke, but didn't feel I had the time to make the trip. Now I wish I did. I keep spreading out further North in Va, and love the scenery, people, and places no matter where I travel. Can't wait to visit.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:15 PM

709 posts, read 2,213,284 times
Surprising Saturday evening is the best time to travel Interstate 81, the traffic is the lightest.

We have a daughter living on Lake Norman so we'll often go visit on Saturday morning and drive back in the evening. As long as the weather is good, the trip up Fancy Gap and Interstate 77 is a beautiful ride.

Once in a while we'll go down a day early and enjoy Mount Airy. I love the fried oyster salad at Goobers and then there's always Odell's for a sandwich and Snappy Lunch for breakfast or the famous pork chop sandwich.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,715,913 times
Default A Tip for Parking

For visitors to the Farmers Market in downtown Roanoke, it can be hard on some days to find a parking space. Park around the Hotel Roanoke or across from the Visitors Center and walk across the glass-enclosed bridge from the Hotel to downtown. On most days there are plenty of spaces. Also, adjacent to the Hotel Roanoke there is a safe large parking garage. Also, there are many public parking garages in downtown.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 63,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouFerr View Post

The Roanoke Farmer's Market is great and I hope you enjoy it. You can find another small Farmer's Market in out adjoining city of Salem. It is quaint and interesting, just a bit smaller than Roanoke's and only about 15 minutes away.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,232,108 times
There is also a farmer's market in Rocky Mount, about 25 minutes south of Roanoke:

Town of Rocky Mount, Virginia :: Farmers' Market

I think the folks in SWVA have a farmer's market in just about every town with more than 2,000 people

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area