Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM

288 posts, read 230,057 times

Advertisements

Good Schools,prefer charter school if possible
Parks for kids and pets
No restrictions on pets
Various shopping opportunities
College of some kind near by
Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts and Kids sports teams near by
Open minded when it comes to non church attendance
Close to interstate
3 bedroom's for rent under 800$ a month
Plenty of eateries. Wife is a chef. She may want to work as well as I.

We were considering and still are Ky and Fl but my family is in NC wife's is in WV so this is half way plus its not far from the beach. We seemed to have skipped over Va all together somehow until now...We would even be happy with living outside Roanoke some if we could get what we wanted outside of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,422,795 times
Roanoke fits your list for the most part. No charter school but plenty of school choice. Not sure what restrictions on pets you mean but Roanoke is pet-friendly for sure. Dog park, chickens in urban backyards, etc. It's definitely churchy here but attendance isn't mandatory by any stretch.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,702,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
Good Schools,prefer charter school if possible
Parks for kids and pets
No restrictions on pets
Various shopping opportunities
College of some kind near by
Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts and Kids sports teams near by
Open minded when it comes to non church attendance
Close to interstate
3 bedroom's for rent under 800$ a month
Plenty of eateries. Wife is a chef. She may want to work as well as I.

We were considering and still are Ky and Fl but my family is in NC wife's is in WV so this is half way plus its not far from the beach. We seemed to have skipped over Va all together somehow until now...We would even be happy with living outside Roanoke some if we could get what we wanted outside of the city.
Pet restrictions depend upon your rental agreement if you choose to do so. Most places I reviewed had weight limits, no more than 30 pounds. Larger rentals are pretty sparse. You may want to try Zillow or Craigslist to see what fits your rental budget.

Shopping....well, Mebane, NC is not too far away (outlet malls).

Aside from that, your criteria is met.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Cool. I was looking on the city website and it said something about registering pets? I couldn't figure out if it was mandatory or no? I did look on craigslist and its about the same as Florida prices which is fine...What are some of the better areas/towns outside of Roanoke?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,702,482 times
Daleville
Lynchburg
Blacksburg
Christiansburg
Clearbrook
Boones Mill
Fincastle
Catawba

Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
Default Employment and Cost of Living

I work in Mental Health here in Central FL and would probably rent before I bought dream home in Virginia. I was ultimately hoping for a modest home on an acre of land with mountains in view, a lake within driving distance, a decent town to take a stroll with or without my small dogs, a park, movie theater, some decent festivals to attend, history and culture, acceptance of diversity, a museum or two, and library or two, 4 seasons, with less humidity than central FL, and a slightly lower crime rate than Orlando. Is there a place in Virginia that meets this criteria that you know of?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,868,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsleary View Post
I work in Mental Health here in Central FL and would probably rent before I bought dream home in Virginia. I was ultimately hoping for a modest home on an acre of land with mountains in view, a lake within driving distance, a decent town to take a stroll with or without my small dogs, a park, movie theater, some decent festivals to attend, history and culture, acceptance of diversity, a museum or two, and library or two, 4 seasons, with less humidity than central FL, and a slightly lower crime rate than Orlando. Is there a place in Virginia that meets this criteria that you know of?
I assume you are looking for a small town in this region. Look at Montgomery County which tends to be about 10 degrees cooler in summer than Roanoke Valley due to higher elevations. Some say it is less humid but it does get humid here like everywhere on the East Coast, but not as bad in this part of VA. Smith Mountain Lake is the big lake around here and the major town is Bedford, about 20 miles from Roanoke, adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway, beautiful mountain views! Another town south of Roanoke is Rocky Mount which is also
close to the Lake, maybe a little bigger than Bedford but it still is a big favorite of retirees.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
Cool. I was looking on the city website and it said something about registering pets? I couldn't figure out if it was mandatory or no?
Yes I think it's like $5/year per dog. No idea about other animals. I need to re-up my mutt, thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Ah. So its mandatory to register a pet like you do a car? Wow...that's just weird.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM

It's been the case everywhere I've lived. Urban/suburban/village, several states. I've never lived out in a rural area though, I imagine it's different there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area