Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post

Checked out Bennys and thats a huge pizza lol , reminds me of down the shore in NJ.
like the sawmill in seaside

I moved from NJ to the Roanoke area about 7 years ago. The pizza here is really no good. No one can nail a slice like you get from the good old mom'n'pop pizza places hiding out in strip malls everywhere in NJ... Nino's in Basking Ridge, Italian Village in Stirling, Villa Scotto in New Providence, etc. It must be the water, seriously. Even the bagels here are really no good. You will probably want to look into a way to import the water from up north. NY Pizza in Vinton is not a good NJ or NY slice. In my opinion they fall way short.
Folks here tend to prefer their Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Caeser, and Papa John's. And many independent restaurants... even some of the really good, busy, well-spoken-of ones seem to die.
We don't have diners here (Greek or otherwise). No Taylor ham (porkroll) egg and cheese on a hard roll. No cheese fries and gravy. No killer eggplant parm. In fact the stores here don't even sell Taylor ham, and there's not a hard roll in sight. It's a sad culinary situation. At least there's some good Mexican food around.

Last edited by j1n; 01-17-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
I have some Long Island friends who relocated to Wilmington NC and while visiting I heard the same comment on the water issue and pizza. Wilmington does have an awesome italian bakery/market which would do very well on the Roanoke City Market.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Do you guys not have it because it's not offered or ? I don't get it lol these are basic essentials and nobody is making it??

Well I will be down in a few more weeks to do my scouting and taste testing, we'll see how they outcome will be. I've looked at a few pizzerias menus online and I'm definitely not impressed with such little they offer .

Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
At least there's some good Mexican food around.
OK them's fightin' words....cuz I moved here from Texas and one of the things I miss is the Mexican food!! It all depends on what your "base line" is I guess!!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
People may be making it, but nobody's making it for sale. Stuff like the diners, pizza, etc are so prevalent up north, and down here there's just nothing that compares. Don't even get me started on the Franklin Restaurant in Boones Mill and their concept of shrimp scampi...
Honestly, the best Italian food I've had since we've been here was probably at a little Italian restaurant/pizzeria in Rocky Mount that was run by Middle Eastern folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
OK them's fightin' words....cuz I moved here from Texas and one of the things I miss is the Mexican food!! It all depends on what your "base line" is I guess!!
My wife grew up outside Houston and there are a few places that she considers close to what she had there.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
My wife grew up outside Houston and there are a few places that she considers close to what she had there.
There are some decent choices but I definitely miss my fave spots from TX (along with the bbq brisket)...

I did read about this new place, and do plan on checking it out soon!

http://blogs.roanoke.com/fridgemagne...lenita-tienda/

Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM

137 posts, read 218,348 times
No diners? I didnt even notice that really.

Oh man, I do love a diner cheese burger, steak fries and slaw every once in awhile.

Oh well... there will be plenty of new food options to explore and I can always make a diner and bakery stop when visiting north.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 25,136 times
OK, had to weigh in here. We are originally from New York and my uncle owned an Italian Restaurant, so I know what good Italian food is. About the best I have found around here is Luigi's on Brambleton Ave. Sal’s in Bonsack is OK but Luigi’s IMHO is better. Expect about $50 a plate for appetizer, meal and a glass of wine or two. Don’t know too much about Japanese but Café Asia is excellent as far as my limited Japanese knowledge goes. They are also in Bonsack, near Sal’s.

New York Pizza in Vinton is OK, Benny Hanna, hit and miss. Had a real good slice there, then went back the next week and it tasted like it laid around awhile, you know, sauce dried up, cheese had no flavor.

What we really need around here is a good Italian bakery. You know, the hard crusted bread, pastries, Italian Cookies. Whoever opens that up will make a killing.

As for the person who said we can’t get Taylor Ham here, check Kroger. The ones by me have it.

As far as where to live, we really lucked out. We bought into a neighborhood called Virginia Ridge, still under development. Most of the lots are 1 acre or more, and 80% of the neighbors are from NY, NJ or Pennsylvania. We love it here. The neighbors are great. Someone always having a get together or party.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Here 2010 View Post
OK, had to weigh in here. We are originally from New York and my uncle owned an Italian Restaurant, so I know what good Italian food is. About the best I have found around here is Luigi's on Brambleton Ave. Sal’s in Bonsack is OK but Luigi’s IMHO is better. Expect about $50 a plate for appetizer, meal and a glass of wine or two. Don’t know too much about Japanese but Café Asia is excellent as far as my limited Japanese knowledge goes. They are also in Bonsack, near Sal’s.

New York Pizza in Vinton is OK, Benny Hanna, hit and miss. Had a real good slice there, then went back the next week and it tasted like it laid around awhile, you know, sauce dried up, cheese had no flavor.

What we really need around here is a good Italian bakery. You know, the hard crusted bread, pastries, Italian Cookies. Whoever opens that up will make a killing.

As for the person who said we can’t get Taylor Ham here, check Kroger. The ones by me have it.

As far as where to live, we really lucked out. We bought into a neighborhood called Virginia Ridge, still under development. Most of the lots are 1 acre or more, and 80% of the neighbors are from NY, NJ or Pennsylvania. We love it here. The neighbors are great. Someone always having a get together or party.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.
Thank you ! I think a lot of people just like to use the whole NY style pizza name but in reality don't understand what it really is or how it's made. Few more weeks and I should be in town to taste test the area.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 25,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Thank you ! I think a lot of people just like to use the whole NY style pizza name but in reality don't understand what it really is or how it's made. Few more weeks and I should be in town to taste test the area.
How true. I would just about give a month of my retirement pay to get a fresh hot slice from Brooklyn or my old stomping ground, Liberty Ave in Queens. Man you could get a good slice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area