Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,645 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I are researching the Roanoke area as a place to relocate to. We are currently living in Covington, LA which is about 45 minutes north of New Orleans and an hour east of Baton Rouge. The 'North Shore' here where we live is one of the most sought after areas in south Louisiana. Still, there have been times while walking through the downtown area that what I lovingly refer to as a 'thug' will roll down the street with windows down and 'boom' music blaring.

Don't get me wrong-I love music and can appreciate the feeling of a beautiful day, windows down, radio up. What I'm referring to, however, is a whole different persona: driver slouched down in their seat which is reclined back so far I don't know how they see over the steering wheel, clothing that looks like they got it from a friend who is twice their size and loaning them their worst outfits, and music that is seriously offensive. In essence, a thug.

Ever see that around there? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
I see the rich white kids in their fathers BMW's driving to Cave Spring High School doing this...

So yes?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7616 View Post
Hello all,
My husband and I are researching the Roanoke area as a place to relocate to. We are currently living in Covington, LA which is about 45 minutes north of New Orleans and an hour east of Baton Rouge. The 'North Shore' here where we live is one of the most sought after areas in south Louisiana. Still, there have been times while walking through the downtown area that what I lovingly refer to as a 'thug' will roll down the street with windows down and 'boom' music blaring.

Don't get me wrong-I love music and can appreciate the feeling of a beautiful day, windows down, radio up. What I'm referring to, however, is a whole different persona: driver slouched down in their seat which is reclined back so far I don't know how they see over the steering wheel, clothing that looks like they got it from a friend who is twice their size and loaning them their worst outfits, and music that is seriously offensive. In essence, a thug.

That is not a thug. A thug is a criminal or someone that commits a violent act. Last time I checked playing loud music isn't necessarily a crime, although it could be if it is excessively. People have spent way too much time misusing words these days and stereotyping others. There are kids or young people who do this, who do it for attention and not necessarily because they are going around committing crime anywhere and everywhere. If you want to know if an area is safe or not, look up the crime report. There are people who don't look anything like these individuals that you describe who commit crime too. Trying to determine, if an area is dangerous based on how many people play loud music and dress a certain way is ridiculous.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM

363 posts, read 557,248 times
Default Thugs?

Quote:
Hello all,

Well every city has its good areas and its bad ones.. For the most part the Roanoke area is safe. A thug is not what you described. Not in the least. Just because someone is listening to music loudly and leaning back while driving doesn't make them a "thug". If you are looking for somewhere that never has any of these actions you describe then any city in any state will be a turn off for you. Certain cities may not have that "boom" music as you describe, but they may have country or rock going doing the same thing. The Roanoke area is a beautiful place to live and again for the most part is very safe. Outdoors galore and an up and coming technology/art region. We have much to offer to anyone, but if loud music and leaning back in a seat driving determines where you will live then I would have to advise moving here. There is a chance someone will do those things at some point in this area. Not because they are thugs, but because they are having fun or just wanting attention. Good luck on your search and check out the area. You may find beyond those "thugs" you describe is a great place to live.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,645 times
pgtvatitans, people also spend a lot of time making assumptions but that didn't stop you. I agree, trying to determine if an area if safe or not based on the way people are dressed or the music they play IS ridiculous. That's not the reason for my question.

Also, in this case, maybe your understanding of 'stereotyping' and a misused word is merely my opinion. What I stated was 'what I lovingly refer to as a thug' and later, the 'musician' as
'in essence, a thug'. I don't expect anyone to agree with the language I chose to describe that type of behavior and therefore am not trying to pass it off as the absolute truth.

Maybe I have higher standards and consider music like that in the ears of young people criminal. Maybe I believe that some areas of town (i.e. where people or KIDS are out and about walking in a downtown area) is sacred and behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated.
And yes, playing 'boom' music excessively loud to the point where windows in the house rattle is against the law, but no one seems to care or to do anything about it around here.

Maybe I can HOPE that some parts of America are not fouled by this type of behavior, but then again, I'm not totally naive.

Again, as the last line of my post indicated, I was just curious.

No place is perfect.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
pgtvatitans, people also spend a lot of time making assumptions but that didn't stop you. I agree, trying to determine if an area if safe or not based on the way people are dressed or the music they play IS ridiculous. That's not the reason for my question.

Also, in this case, maybe your understanding of 'stereotyping' and a misused word is merely my opinion. What I stated was 'what I lovingly refer to as a thug' and later, the 'musician' as
'in essence, a thug'. I don't expect anyone to agree with the language I chose to describe that type of behavior and therefore am not trying to pass it off as the absolute truth.

Maybe I have higher standards and consider music like that in the ears of young people criminal. Maybe I believe that some areas of town (i.e. where people or KIDS are out and about walking in a downtown area) is sacred and behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated.
And yes, playing 'boom' music excessively loud to the point where windows in the house rattle is against the law, but no one seems to care or to do anything about it around here.

Maybe I can HOPE that some parts of America are not fouled by this type of behavior, but then again, I'm not totally naive.

Again, as the last line of my post indicated, I was just curious.

No place is perfect.
How do you 'lovingly' call someone a thug? Can someone 'lovingly' call you are bigot? These words have negative connotations. If you go up to one of these individuals and call them a thug, I'm certain it will not end well. If that's what you say behind closed doors, that's your business, but you're on an internet forum, people are not going to understanding if you are saying something 'lovingly' or not.

No place is perfect is right. Why not just ask for the crime report and keep it moving? If find a place that has no crime, but has one of these 'thugs' coming through, are you going to move? Does it really matter that much?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times
everywhere you look around here there are kids and young men with their pants sagged down around their thighs and their underwear sticking out. It doesn't mean they are a thug... just that they like to wear a style that originated behind bars. We call it "looking for a husband"... But no... Roanoke is pretty mellow. Some cars with sound systems here and there. Not excessive though in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Still, there have been times while walking through the downtown area that what I lovingly refer to as a 'thug' will roll down the street with windows down and 'boom' music blaring.
Are you talking about the common definition of "Thug" or are you asking if black's live in the area?
It's confusing since you're clearly describing black people but using the word "thug" instead. Here is a discussion on the new use of "thug" so we need you to clarify.
"Thug" the new "n-word"?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,133 times
We have tons of thugs here. The music venues downtown: full of thugs. The churches that host music fests for young people: thug-central! The new Elmwood Park ampitheater: SO MANY THUGS! FloydFest was too mud-thuggery by far but now there's Lockn' too: THUGGERY RUN AMOK I tell you.

You should probably stay in "one of the most sought after areas in south Louisiana" because you would not believe the look of thuggery here. Not actual thuggery, mind you, but the look of it. So thuglike. Probably too thuglike for someone who is sensitive to thuglike appearances.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
We have tons of thugs here. The music venues downtown: full of thugs. The churches that host music fests for young people: thug-central! The new Elmwood Park ampitheater: SO MANY THUGS! FloydFest was too mud-thuggery by far but now there's Lockn' too: THUGGERY RUN AMOK I tell you.

You should probably stay in "one of the most sought after areas in south Louisiana" because you would not believe the look of thuggery here. Not actual thuggery, mind you, but the look of it. So thuglike. Probably too thuglike for someone who is sensitive to thuglike appearances.
You forgot the hooligans, blackguards, miscreants, hooligans, hoodlums, ruffians, tough guys, delinquents, goons, no goodniks, and the ever damnable ne'er do wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area