Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 26,237 times

Advertisements

PeggyB-
Wow, glad to hear that your plan is to buy in Old Southwest- The lessons/tutor will be easy to find- The Higher Ed center is a 5-10 minute walk from the Old Southwest neighborhood and they offer these classes OR I'm sure once your settled in, you can inquire with other neighbors. Don't be shy, feel free to check out the neighborhood meetings- They are held every 3rd Thursday of the month- Just show up, you and your family will be welcomed- Also, check out Old Southwest, Inc - Roanoke, Virginia - Roanoke's Historic Neighborhood too-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM

67 posts, read 282,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyB View Post
We are buying a summer home in Roanoke (Californians) and I need to find either intermediate spanish lessons or a one-on-one tutor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We plan to buy in old SW Roanoke. Thanks
Good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM

126 posts, read 324,366 times
Default Spanish tutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyB View Post
We are buying a summer home in Roanoke (Californians) and I need to find either intermediate spanish lessons or a one-on-one tutor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We plan to buy in old SW Roanoke. Thanks
Hi Peggy,

There are several very good Spanish tutors in Roanoke. The first place to check would be with Elena, the Spanish teacher at Community School (563-5036). I know she tutors on the side. She is from Bolivia and, because she is a Spanish teacher, is a wonderful tutor and very "child friendly."

If she isn't able to help you, email me and I will get the contact information about another tutor who is a former Spanish teacher at Cave Spring High School.

happygal0000

Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Bless Her Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMom2girls View Post
I am so new to this, so forgive me for not knowing how all this works yet. I live in Memphis, TN and am researching new areas for my family to move. I just had to post after reading Happygal's post. It made me laugh. I have lived in the south all my life and I would have to say that your perception of southern hospitality is pretty good. I do have to let you know that you were right about the fact we don't even know we're doing it to people, I had no clue until I read your post and gave it some thought. But the main reason I wanted to reply to your post is because almost EVERY friend I have here is from the north or California. I am a very Outspoken southerner as are All the women in my family. And so are all my friends. Please don't stop being outspoken. It may just be your town, but I tell you, here in Memphis, we respect people more when they're outspoken. We all agree to disagree, but we love a good debate and if everyone just bit their tongue how much fun would that be? TIP: In the south, when we don't agree with what someone is saying and it is a situation when we need to bite our tongues, we say, "Well, bless his/her/your heart!" Try this next time, it's hilarious the facial expressions you get. It makes the person immediately shut up. And then you can politely change the subject. I love it.

Hahaha, Tennessee Mom!

Oh, yeah, I know all about when to use "Bless His/Her/Your Heart"!! I didn't mention it, mostly because it's pretty much an art form, knowing how and when to use it for its full effect. Also, to learn how, even though it's a spoken thing, you have to see it put into practice to learn how to do it! Don't know why that's so, but I have found it impossible to "tell" someone how but, after a few times of watching, BAM! they get it!

PS: Northern California is the "other" state as far as Southern Californians go. Everything about So Cal and No Cal are completely different -- topography, climate, personalities, attitudes. Kinda like No Virginians and SW Virginians....ya know what I mean?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Default SW Roanoke Co. Elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMomto3 View Post
Good Luck Red123...We're moving to Roanoke this summer too!

happygal...great info. I've been looking at each of the SW elem's websites. I've noticed that since the SOL scores came out for 2007 that Clear Brook did great. Do you know any specifics about it or does anyone else? In regards to being able to transfer within the county, is it usually approved if you've been in the school and just move elsewhere in the county? That has been a concern for us as we will probably buy a house to get us through the next few years and then buy or build a house that will be the house we're in till all the kids are out on their own. Nowadays that may mean they've finished college and moved back for a few years! Considering our youngest isn't even 1 yet, we may still have atleast one around for many years to come!! Oh yeah, you mentioned visiting schools and made a comment about what an experiece it was visiting Salem schools...what did that mean? Haven't visited there or any schools yet so just curious??
Hi Southern Mom,

I don't place a lot of stock in SOLs...sorry, but I trust my judgment and my own eyes first. Too many teachers are "teaching to the test" instead of being good teachers -- and I want a chance to see that for myself, instead of trusting some test designed by politicians.

That being said, I don't know much about Clearbrook Elementary...the schools of choice in SW Co are (in my order of preference): 1. Cave Spring Elem, 2. Oak Grove Elem, 3. Back Creek Elem, 4. Green Valley, and 5. Clearbrook Elem. I graded them on parent participation; PTA "gifts" to the school; cleanliness; overall happiness of students (noted while walking around the school, visiting the library, watching kids in the halls and at lunch, on the playground); cheerfulness of the classrooms and teachers, friendliness of the office staff.

I have some friends who have children in Salem schools and they are satisfied. My problem with Salem schools is that you have to live in Salem and I don't want to live in another small, snobby, Southern town (that's the image I got from it, sorry all you Salem natives).

Regarding transfers within county schools, transfering back "into" a school you attended isn't always a given; it depends on lots of different things. They look at the child's grades, whether the child has had any discipline problems, but, most importantly, whether the school can handle any more students. For example, Hidden Valley HS currently has 50 children too many (there aren't enough lockers or cafeteria space) so they aren't allowing any transfer students there. So, if you live in the Hidden Valley HS district, but then move to another district, chances are not very good that your child will be allowed to continue attending. Perhaps, if you move in the middle of a school year, your child would be allowed to finish the year (I've heard of that happening several times, even at HVHS for the senior year).

But, truthfully, if you know your child isn't going to be able to attend the next year, I would move them into the new school in the middle of that year. The benefits are: most schools give the new kids a "buddy" (someone who has lunch with them, shows them around school, etc), they make friends in the new school before summer vacation starts, and there's some novelty status to being the "new kid." Status is always a good thing when you are the newbie.

So, you need to fill out an application (available at any county school office, just ask the secretary), mail it in to the county school adminstration office, then they notify you if your child is allowed to transfer...sometimes as late as the second week of August. It's tough to wait for (since school starts here before Labor Day) but that's one of the downsides of wanting to be a transfer student.

I also think the principal has to "sign off" on the transfer student each year so your child has to keep up their grades, stay out of trouble, and basically be a student in "good standing."

Oooh, I forgot! There is one loophole: if your child attends a HS in one of their Specialty Centers that's where they go to school. Here's a little blurb from the Roanoke Co school website (Roanoke County Public Schools - Instruction):

Specialty schools concentrate on special interests or talents of students. The centers offer Roanoke County students choices to focus their learning experiences and offer rigorous courses to students who have specific interests and career goals. Students must complete an application and be accepted before they enter a specialty center. If students complete the four-year sequence of classes at the center, they will be awarded a special seal on their diploma. All classes will begin at 7:30 a.m. (zero period). Bus transportation will be provided back to the home school only. Parents must transport their students to the specific specialty center in the morning.

Center for Business and Marketing
William Byrd High School

Center for Global Studies
Northside High School

Center for Engineering
Arnold R. Burton Technology Center

Center for Mass Communication Studies

Center for Visual Arts and Museum Studies

Center for the Performing Arts

Except for the Specialty Centers at Arnold R. Burton Center, my understanding is that, whatever HS you attend for your specialty center (drama, art, marketing, global studies), that will be your home school, too. So, if you want to stay at a school, you can try to arrange to have your child involved in the Specialty Center at that school -- just know that they will have to take concentrated classes in that area, so don't sign them up, for example, for the Art Specialty Center if they haven't any creativity! These Specialty Centers aren't fluff -- they are centers for concentrated learning in special areas. But, if your child has the interest and you want to keep him/her at that school, this might be an option.

Oh! A warning for the parents: you must arrange for the transfer student's own transportation to and from school. That can be a biggie, if you live far away or have conflicting work hours.

Lastly, I will mention there is a social difficulty with living outside your child's school area. It's not bad if you live in Hidden Valley and your child transfers to Cave Spring. Those are neighboring areas. But if you live in North County and your child goes to school in SW county, it makes socializing tough because kids (or rather, their parents) don't want to drive all the way across town for a play date (or a real date, when they get to that age). Extra-curricular activities present their own, unique adjustments: Participating in study groups is difficult; after-school activities are inconvenient. Sports meet every day, so that can be a nightmare if you like to see you child someplace besides in your car. Remember, your daily lives are across town from your child's friends' lives. It can make for some lonely weekends (for your child) or a lot of driving (for the parents) on the weekends and many week nights, depending on what's happening at school.

We dealt with that when our daughter went to Community School (over by Hollins Univ) and we live in SW Co. I went through 2 tanks of gas (minimum) every week, taking her to & from school, taking her to extra-curricular school activities, and picking up or dropping off at friends, skating, movies, the mall. All that driving and all that gas might not bother you, I'll let you decide.

Oh, one last thing. Since your children are small, be sure you check out the Mothers Day Out (MDO) at our local churches. It will allow you an immediate social circle, your child(ren) will make friends, and you'll have a place to commiserate!

happygal0000

Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM

"...That being said, I don't know much about Clearbrook Elementary...the schools of choice in SW Co are (in my order of preference): 1. Cave Spring Elem, 2. Oak Grove Elem, 3. Back Creek Elem, 4. Green Valley, and 5. Clearbrook Elem. I graded them on parent participation; PTA "gifts" to the school; cleanliness; overall happiness of students (noted while walking around the school, visiting the library, watching kids in the halls and at lunch, on the playground); cheerfulness of the classrooms and teachers, friendliness of the office staff..."

Oh, how could I have forgotten Penn Forest Elem??? So, the schools of choice should be:
1. Cave Spring Elem
2. Penn Forest Elem
3. Oak Grove Elem
4. Back Creek Elem
5. Green Valley Elem
6. Clearbrook Elem

Sorry!
happygal0000

Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM

102 posts, read 526,566 times
Thanks for the continued school information. I'm hearing a lot of different opinions re: the elem schools but the consensus seems to be that you can't go too wrong with any of those you mentioned. I think the house we find will dictate it for us at this point.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Cool Possibility of moving to Roaoke

There is a possiblity I will be moving to Roanoke for a job that pays well. I have lived in Upstate new york most of my life. ( Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton).

Questions

1. Is it hard for someone with a northern accent to blend in. Does the majority of the people in RoanoKe have strong southern accents. Will my kids get teased for their northern accent
2. Is there a good mix of northerners?
3.I have three teenage boys (19,17, 14) What is the best high school for my 14 year old? How do the high schools compare to upstate new york.
4. How much does the sun shine? We only get 60 days of sun shine a year in Binghamton. We are tired of cloudy weather.
5. Binghamton is in a valley and my families allergies are bad here, I cannot see them being much worse in Roanoke. Am I wrong?
6. I am looking for a good nondenominational church, any suggestions?
7. I am looking to purchase a house in a nice suburb. Looking for good schools, quick access to stores and restaurants, any suggestions?
8. What are the most common prejudices you encounter in Roanoke?
How are different ethnic groups treated?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crandon View Post

Questions

1. Is it hard for someone with a northern accent to blend in. Does the majority of the people in RoanoKe have strong southern accents. Will my kids get teased for their northern accent
No, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Quote:
yes
Quote:
3.I have three teenage boys (19,17, 14) What is the best high school for my 14 year old? How do the high schools compare to upstate new york.
Someone may have some practical comparisons for you, but you can check out GreatSchools.net (hope it's cool to link that)
Quote:
4. How much does the sun shine? We only get 60 days of sun shine a year in Binghamton. We are tired of cloudy weather.
Roanoke has an average of 211 sunny days per year
Quote:
5. Binghamton is in a valley and my families allergies are bad here, I cannot see them being much worse in Roanoke. Am I wrong?
I'd say they are going to be worse in Roanoke...Roanoke Valley is pretty notorious for heinous allergies. Eat local honey to help alleviate them.
Quote:
lots around. when you get closer to your move, I can make some suggestions.
Quote:
7. I am looking to purchase a house in a nice suburb. Looking for good schools, quick access to stores and restaurants, any suggestions?
Salem City, Grandin area in Roanoke more...there's a lot of nice stuff around...lots of variety and "feels" to choose from
Quote:
In Roanoke itself, I haven't really noticed anything as far as prejudices.

Last edited by j1n; 02-17-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 06:15 PM

134 posts, read 519,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crandon View Post
There is a possiblity I will be moving to Roanoke for a job that pays well. I have lived in Upstate new york most of my life. ( Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton).

Questions

How's about another upstate NY'er answer some of your questions!

1) accents- dunno, but I suspect it isn't heavy. A little teasing has been known to teach people to grow thick skin.
2) I would guess there are lots of folks from all over as well as natives.
3) probably county.
4) This I know- Lots more than here! Check the City-Data data on this web site.
5) probably no worse.
6) be careful here- church tends to be "more" in Virginia. Probably Unitarian?
7) SW county.
8) no idea

Everything I've read and discussed with folks says Roanoke is a nicely "progressive" community. (I hate that word). Try to fit in instead of expecting the NY culture to be accepted is probably what you might consider. By searching this forum and other sources, you will most likely find many of these questions have already been asked. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area