Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM

8 posts, read 35,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twootees View Post
The Melrose Rugby neighborhood is very strong- It has an active membership and the people who live in this neighborhood are amazing! They continue to work hard on making their neighborhood a vital part of the city- I agree, make a trip here and check it out- Good luck- p.s. we'd love to have you in Old Southwest- The more diversity, the better!
I'll probably be out in July. Would you list your top three neighborhoods so I can narrow my search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 26,268 times
Of course I will put Old Southwest at the top of the list- Old Southwest, Inc - Roanoke, Virginia - Roanoke's Historic Neighborhood Our neighborhood just placed 2nd in the Nation for Best Neighborhood of the Year for it's efforts in the Social Revitalization/Neighborliness category held in Hampton, VA at this years NUSA (Neighborhoods USA) conference- Over 850 people from all over the U.S. attended this year's 33rd conference. Our neighborhood has held a "Food with Friends" (pot-luck) each month for over two years now as a way to bring the neighborhood community together- It allows folks to get to know their neighbors, network, talk, laugh and share a delicious meal. The cost is minimal because the host household is only responsible for hosting the event and providing the paper products. Each person that attends brings either an appetizer, entree, side dish or dessert and their favorite beverage. We also have a different theme each month, for example: We have had American, Mexican, Thai, Italian, etc. So the dishes that are prepared and offered have those themes associated with them. We average between 30 and 75 neighbors each month. Our website and calendar are up to date with each months info. It's been so successful that a neighboring community of Wasena just started their own "Food with Friends" and call their's "Fridays on the Front Porch" Old Southwest is home to Roanoke's oldest and 1st city park which is Highland Park and has 32 acres which is just beautiful. We are on the verge of having the cities FIRST fenced/off leash dog park and are very excited about it coming our way. Can you tell I love Old Southwest? We have a rainbow of professions that live here too. We have doctors, lawyers, medical staff, federal and city govt. employees, contractors, students and self-employed individuals.

Okay, now onto the other two recommended neighborhoods in the city of Roanoke which are just my opinion. I would check out Raleigh Court. There are some wonderful people in this neighborhood which has a strong neighborhood community and they are involved in what goes on. Another neat neighborhood to check out would be Wasena which is also in S.W. city but not to leave out Melrose Rugby which is N.W. in the city- You will find diversity in all of these neighborhoods. Good Luck and WELCOME!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 PM

53 posts, read 275,725 times
Hello,

If I were to move to right outside of Roanoke into the Boones Mill area, would the wind be as much of a problem? I read all of these posts and I see that it is a warmer zone in Boones Mill than in Roanoke. Does that mean that it is not in the valley? My Mom does not like heavy winds and she is concerned about that. Thank you for any replies!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Hey Hollikee, the wind isn't really an issue in either the Roanoke Valley, or in Boones Mill in Franklin County. Boones Mill (where I live) is not in the Roanoke Valley, but rather in the beginning of the piedmont highlands. From Boones Mill, downtown Roanoke is only 20-25 minutes away, accessible by a 4 lane state highway (220).

Sean

Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 196,298 times
Exclamation trucker traffic...in regards to hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradVT06 View Post
Yes, I am serious. As I said, I have a bias because I don't like Roanoke, so I said take from it what you will. I don't like the city. Please, take a drive down Orange avenue next time you're there and post back how many sections of the road has had to be repaved because of cave-ins. The example with my wife and her second job was just an example of how a higher percentage of people were dirty than anywhere else I've been. I'm now in Williamsburg, where I grew up (and couldn't get wait to leave when I first went to Virginia Tech), and I'm so much happier. We made the initial move this week, and will be back during of the Tech football games to get a moving truck with the bulk of the stuff we don't need right away.

I'm sorry if you feel insulted. As I said, it's a combination of things. I don't know if you've been there in the winter recently, more maybe you've never been to the 2 areas where I've lived- but the wind there is always blowing and is very strong. The wind will rip the door out of your hand and pull it out. It's pulled baseball caps (comfortably fit, not too tight or too loose) right off my head, etc. The temperature isn't bad but the wind makes it feel much colder. Whenever I'd come to visit my family in the winter it would barely seem cold because the wind doesn't blow all the time in Williamsburg. It makes the coldest temperatures feel very bearable. I've lived in New Jersey in some cold winters. Not Wisconsin or Mass, but still cold.

Yes, I will miss the rolling hills and the greater snowfall. I think I mentioned that. Not sure about the hills, but I'm sure I did say I will miss the greater snowfall.

Again, I'm sorry if you feel insulted. There are 'upper class' nicer areas in Roanoke, but generally it's not as nice of an area that I'm comfortable with. There are just as much thugs as drunken/dumb rednecks (the best class class association that I can think of). If you prefer 'rednecks' to 'thugs', that's great. I prefer neither. It's that in Williamsburg, there's less of both. Personally, I like the fall in Roanoke/Blacksburg, but would rather see the color changing leaves walking through Colonial Williamsburg. The mountains are nice though.

You've got to be kidding if you think anyone doesn't know that living in the mountains/valleys will be hilly. Yes, I know that. But I lived there for a few years, and now that I've graduated, want to leave. I don't care about driving up and down, it's driving up and down with the 18wheelers. They go slow uphills, cut in front of you, go slower, then speed down the hills so they don't go as slow up the next hill, though they still end up creeping up the hills next to each, backing up traffic. I'd rather drive on flat terrain with less trucks. I'd assume most people would.

There's a reason the housing market is so cheap in Roanoke. Not meant to insult anyone, but it's just a fact. The mean income is less there, there are less professional and more manufacturing jobs, and the people, in general, don't have as high of standards. Take is as being a snob if you want. A lot of people think people in Williamsburg are snobs.

You can't go wrong if you like the outdoors, as I said. It's good to have the malls there. The city has a personality. I clearly stated my bias that I didn't like it and stated the reasons. Having lived in both Williamsburg and Roanoke, I'm stating the reasons why I choose Williamsburg hands down.

As for the people there..... Honestly I really don't know. My wife was a teacher and worked a second job, I was finishing college full-time and working full-time and we never really had any time to do much else. The teachers at my wife's school were all young and very friendly, all of them were women. The people my age I met were all pretty friendly, though most of them were going to school somewhere or another and wanted to leave area as well. I don't think you'll have a problem at all meeting people you're age if you have the time.

If you have any other questions let me know, I'll be glad to give you opinion or experiences, and be totally honest. I stated all biases and said what I liked and what was good. I did find people very friendly there though. Something else to consider.
given the date on this...and alot of post, to many to read all, i may be to late to put my 2 cents in....but i wanted to clarify something for folks living...moving to roanoke, or any town that has high truck traffic, hills or not.
first...dont blame truckers, not only do they haul the food you eat, the clothes you wear, the tv's you watch and the cars you drive, they haul everything inbetween, so maybe you should be glad they are on the road...its to your benefit...if not...guess you wouldnt need to rush to the mall all the time or eat for that matter.
2nd, you complain how slow they go up hills and then fast down...well...you strap 80,000 lbs to your bumper and try haulen it up hill, and see what your speed is...im sorry...small prices to pay when you go shopping for the goods they haul. fast down hill...well, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out...what goes up, must come down...heavy going up means that same 80,000 lns will push the truck faster down hill. so you see...truckers are not tryen to make you late for your hair appt, as a matter of fact, they got more important time to keep, seeing as they dont get paid by the hour, they get paid by the load..meaning, they dont get paid till it arrives. so being stuck in traffice doesnt just ruin their day by missing a hair appt or getting to starbucks before certain time, it means they are late in earning their paycheck. you put 80 hours a week living in a big rig...alot without creature comforts, delivering your next box of do-dads...and then you can complain, until then....stop cryen cuz you had to get stuck behind one trying to make a tight turn or climbing a steep hill
3rd....you complain of trucker pulling out in front of you, im not saying there isnt some idiot rude truckers out there....but i dare you to ride with one...for even 50 miles, and you will change your tune, when cars assume the truck can see them, despite signs warning of blind spots, and cut in front of them...they cant see you when you cut that close, they sit to high and you are to low!!! and lets go back to that 80,000 lbs they are pullen down the road....hmmm...just like a train...cant stop on a dime...rememeber that next time you dive in front of one, let alone dive across one to make the exit you was to big of a hurry to stay behind him and wait for that you had to gun it up past and cut trucker off to make.
the list goes on. but people need to know before they bash the truckers....yes, it canget conjested, not just in roanoke, but in any area, dont base your moving there or not on someones un-educated views of truckers. just remember this...they work hard so you have things to shop for....so wave and smile next time, theyd appreciate it more then the finger they usually get, especially since for a week or 2 at a time, you are all they see, cuz they dont get to see their families each night like you. thank you....a truckers wife

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

26 posts, read 59,748 times
i know of a woman who has a house in Vinton and she is just asking for the payoff, and it has a big yard, and i think your kids would go to William Byrd, which is a nice school, and vinton is a nice quiet town, and a park right across the street, off of a road called Gus Nicks. Right close to roanoke and out of the main city....close to everything.....

Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM

25 posts, read 31,385 times
I Joined just to answer this question.....if you can tell by the S/N hah. Anyway... Roanoke has a couple neat places to go as well as shops and things like the Blue Ridge Parkway......But you don't want to go into Christiansburg/Blacksburg. Things are bad here. People are extremely rude and mean, they look at you almost like you shouldn't be here. And just in case you haven't watched CNN lately, it violent. Morva, Common Bomb threats, Hardcore Vandelism of Cburg High School, and of course VT shootings are just some of the examples. So, to sum it up: Roanoke is not too bad--But don't venture into this area...You will regret it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 9,895 times
I totally and utterly agree with GOV06VT.Perfect.The people are friendly but they are closed minded.If that suit you great. The dress sense is a joke.... stuck in the 80s.. The city is segregated beyond repair. The are not shop to speak of unless you are into granma style!!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisa View Post
I totally and utterly agree with GOV06VT.Perfect.The people are friendly but they are closed minded.If that suit you great. The dress sense is a joke.... stuck in the 80s.. The city is segregated beyond repair. The are not shop to speak of unless you are into granma style!!
I completely disagree. You can find what you want here. Does that include dixie flags, rednecks, mullets, and an 80's fashion sense? Yup! But I choose not to run in those circles, so I don't see it too much.
Segregation? Compared to where I relo'd from (NJ/NYC area), the segregation here is a joke. Folks (and neighborhoods) mix way more here than up north.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM

57 posts, read 160,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal0000 View Post

We didn't look at Salem, because Lynchburg spoiled me on small, snobby towns. I want to live in an area where people are welcoming and happy to have new neighbors. I didn't get that feeling from the people in Salem.
happygal000

I do not understand why everyone and their brother warns everyone off about Salem. I'm 26 years old, and I live in Salem. Salem is heavily sports oriented, and they consistently win, so perhaps that I why people hate Salem. I was marching band, not sports, and I don't have an uber salem spirit either....but it does rankle when people constantly crap all over salem, while reccomending the Melrose area and Orange Avenue.

There are a few people in salem that I wouldn't give 2 cents for, but I also lived in Roanoke County, and there are areas of it where you do not get the time of day unless you're driving a Bmw or a Lexus. I also worked at 2 different krogers, one in salem, and one off of brambleton, and while both had their share of snobbery, the Brambleton Ave store was much worse. I had a woman toss a bloody loaf of bread at me because we were out of roast beef.

Salem does have many nice points, taxes are not bad, utilities are better than roanoke, the trash people will literally pick up anything at all, while Roanokes will not. Salem high has good teachers, and much less crowded conditions. It is centrally located, and commute times are pretty darn good to about everywhere.

There are wonderful areas in Roanoke and Roanoke City, but you do have to be careful. I have to drive through Melrose about 2 twice a week, and I do not feel safe there. My mother had several friends who used to love that area, but the crime and violence drove them out....which is a true shame, because if the city poured more resources and protection into the area, it could be amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area