Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM

49 posts, read 63,114 times

Advertisements

Hello friendly city-data users.

I will be moving to US for my PhD studies in Urban Planning. I plan to stay for about 4 years. After that, will return to Brazil to continue my academic career.

I got accepted into University at Buffalo-SUNY (Buffalo, NY) *already declined the offer there, University of Florida (Gainesville, FL), Texas A&M University (College Station, TX) and waiting for Virginia Tech (Blacksburg) also, fall 2014, and having really hard time on deciding where to go to. As my deadline for deciding is getting close, I am considering VT together, so I can make a well informed decision.

So, a little about myself, I am from the south of Brazil (temperature on winter can get around 32F, lived for a semester during fall/winter 2003 at Yosemite National Park CA; and had no problem with snow). I am married, 33 years old, professor at a local University. My wife and my dog will be moving with me also.

So, I am gathering the most information I can get, since it will represent al least the next 4 years of my life.
If anyone can give any thoughts on:

1-comparing the universties;
2-comparing the cities (Blacksburg, Gainesville and College Station)
3-general information about day to day living, like: need car (I will most likely buy one), grocery shopping, city life after 5pm (not parties and nightclubs, but if there is "life" in the city), housing, safety, etc...
4-what to do? Nearby activities, place to visit, place to travel to on a weekend.
5-any other information

Academic speaking, I can find a good fit for my research on all the options above, so that is why I am specially concern about the city, life style, walk-ability, etc... since I will be moving with my wife, so as I will be studying, she don't get trapped in a isolated place. In the beginning, at least, for Visa requirements, she won't be able to work, so could get quite lonely in a suburban area.

I know it is a lot of information, and I am researching the forum as well, as other online information.

Thank you all very much for your time and attention, really appreciate any information you can give.

Best wishes,
Luiz Felipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Blacksburg Virginia is in a scenic mountain area, and its university is noted for its great Engineering program which attracts students from a wide area including coming from the suburbs of Washington DC. The area has beautiful mountain hiking trails, and forests.

Gainesville Florida has flat terrain, and its streets are very straight, and have numerical names, which facilitates orienting/ learning directions. The town is also very suited for bicycling for that reason. Florida often has short rain showers daily.

I do not know Texas as well. But I know that the city of Austin is famous for country music nightclubs, and has progressive culture and politics.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Gainesville and College Station will be much warmer and flatter.

Blacksburg is a gorgeous four-season area (distinct winter, spring, summer, fall) with wonderful outdoor opportunities, but if you want less cold in the winter, you will prefer the other two!

College Station is a very friendly area where you should find it easy to get to know people. It is not nearly as visually beautiful as Blacksburg. Houston is close for big city stuff.

I am generally familiar with Florida, but not so much with Gainesville in particular.

GOOD LUCK! I used to live one hour from College Station and now I live one hour from Blacksburg!

Previous poster noted that Austin is known for "progressive politics" but College Station is quite different - much more conservative, but friendly as I have noted.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 8,544 times
I live in Houston, and am friends with a lot of A&M grads. I'm also from Roanoke, and friends with many Tech grads (I went to Radford ).

What I know about A&M is it is extremely heavy on tradition, carries a lot of weight in terms of prestige (at least in Houston and other parts of Texas), and is a very good agriculture school. Similar to Tech, except I would say A&M is probably a little more prestigious.

There is nothing in College Station except A&M. Bars. Drinking. That's about it. I think Blacksburg offers a little more in terms of culture (indie bands do come through Blacksburg, artsy stuff, etc), and if you like the outdoors, Blacksburg will be much better. The weather here in Texas is great though, if you like it warm. College Station is pretty close to Houston (about an hour's drive), too, which has everything.

I know nothing about Gainesville, so I can't help you there, sorry!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Go Gators, nuff said. And maybe that Gville is a great town for your criteria.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM

49 posts, read 63,114 times
Guys, I want to thank all the help and informations you gave me.

I am back to let you know that I choose University of Florida at Gainesville after much deliberation.

I will be arriving at FL this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area