Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times

Advertisements

If you're not involved in the criminal lifestyle...you will not have much of a chance of interacting with a criminal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 05:11 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
An old thread, but I'm pulling it back up. The situation of shelter in place if you live within half a mile of 2100 Grandin Road is going on right now. And this is in SW, the "good part" of town. City public schools are closed for the day. All the news is saying thus far is it's an active situation. I learned about it when walking a dog early in the morning from the newspaper carrier. I can easily walk to Patrick Henry. I'm glad the Roanoke Times person stopped and warned me.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
An old thread, but I'm pulling it back up. The situation of shelter in place if you live within half a mile of 2100 Grandin Road is going on right now. And this is in SW, the "good part" of town. City public schools are closed for the day. All the news is saying thus far is it's an active situation. I learned about it when walking a dog early in the morning from the newspaper carrier. I can easily walk to Patrick Henry. I'm glad the Roanoke Times person stopped and warned me.
There is a fellow wanted for a murder that took place in rural Virginia (Franklin County) and his vehicle was spotted in this neighborhood in Roanoke.

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2019...lter-in-place/

Old 11-15-2019, 04:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Even a "good part" of a town can and will see crime. It's just going to happen everywhere. It just happens much less in the good parts. Not sure why you regurgitated this old article and it was title/article that was full of it.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Even a "good part" of a town can and will see crime. It's just going to happen everywhere. It just happens much less in the good parts. Not sure why you regurgitated this old article and it was title/article that was full of it.
Exactly correct❗️

Old 11-28-2019, 06:38 AM

8 posts, read 6,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob540_squad View Post
is this article the truth? I thought overall roanoke was getting better since 2007 but maybe not.It is true tho i know drug crimes are up i seen old white lady shooting up heroin outside broad daylight two weeks ago anyways what your guys opinions?

Richmond in the top five most dangerous cities in Virginia list - National Community Issues | Examiner.com
I laugh whenever I hear anyone from Southwest Virginia say that there is a problem here with crime. I moved here almost four years ago from the East side of Cleveland Ohio. The general attitude for much of that struggling rust belt city was anger and grief. People in Cleveland looked out for themselves, and didn't care whatsoever if that sacrificed the respect of others. This attitude comically manifested itself in Cleveland's general climate. I got sick of the seemingly eight months of cold, wet, dreary, snowy, slushy precipitation. I am a lover of the outdoors, mountains, and motorcycling. I have never looked back. Moving down here is the best decision I have ever made.

Living in Cleveland, I heard the police sirens on average ten times a day (and I lived in a nice area near where the doctors from the Cleveland Clinic lived). Down here, it seems like the only time I hear sirens it is from ambulances en route to the hospital. I can count on one hand the times that I have heard police sirens.
People down here are genuinely friendly, and much more respectful of others. I'm not sure if it is because the religious influences of Christianity, but people look down on those who disrespect others.

Now, I'm not saying that Roanoke is void of crime. I work at a hospital, and I see the effects of intravenous drug abuse. That said, I simply avoid those areas and people where I likely might encounter those problems. Identifying questionable areas can be quickly done simply and easily. As a general rule, I avoid the immediate Northwest (between 581, Shenandoah, Peter's Creek, and Hershberger), and the immediate East of 581 (between the highway, Riverland, Bennington, the far west end of Vinton, and areas west of Washington and Gus Nicks). However, I would never hesitate to drive through these neighborhoods during the day time, and I don't consider them relatively dangerous compared to the vast wasteland of evil and delinquency in Cleveland's inner city.

As far as the outdoors, Roanoke is an absolute Mecca. People down here have no idea how good they've got it. There are mountains in every direction. You can pick a new trail to explore every week within an hour of downtown. Endless scenic driving opportunities for the motorcyclist, including epic off-road trail options. If you prefer asphalt, the state and county highways seem to follow along the rivers and valleys, and the Blue Ridge Parkway provides beautiful overlooks.

If you make the choice to relocate to Roanoke or Salem, I really doubt you will ever regret it! There is absolutely no issue with crime down here, and the article you cite is absolutely and absurdly ridiculous coming from someone who actually experienced a crime ridden city.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant Wahoo View Post
I laugh whenever I hear anyone from Southwest Virginia say that there is a problem here with crime. I moved here almost four years ago from the East side of Cleveland Ohio. The general attitude for much of that struggling rust belt city was anger and grief. People in Cleveland looked out for themselves, and didn't care whatsoever if that sacrificed the respect of others. This attitude comically manifested itself in Cleveland's general climate. I got sick of the seemingly eight months of cold, wet, dreary, snowy, slushy precipitation. I am a lover of the outdoors, mountains, and motorcycling. I have never looked back. Moving down here is the best decision I have ever made.

Living in Cleveland, I heard the police sirens on average ten times a day (and I lived in a nice area near where the doctors from the Cleveland Clinic lived). Down here, it seems like the only time I hear sirens it is from ambulances en route to the hospital. I can count on one hand the times that I have heard police sirens.
People down here are genuinely friendly, and much more respectful of others. I'm not sure if it is because the religious influences of Christianity, but people look down on those who disrespect others.

Now, I'm not saying that Roanoke is void of crime. I work at a hospital, and I see the effects of intravenous drug abuse. That said, I simply avoid those areas and people where I likely might encounter those problems. Identifying questionable areas can be quickly done simply and easily. As a general rule, I avoid the immediate Northwest (between 581, Shenandoah, Peter's Creek, and Hershberger), and the immediate East of 581 (between the highway, Riverland, Bennington, the far west end of Vinton, and areas west of Washington and Gus Nicks). However, I would never hesitate to drive through these neighborhoods during the day time, and I don't consider them relatively dangerous compared to the vast wasteland of evil and delinquency in Cleveland's inner city.

As far as the outdoors, Roanoke is an absolute Mecca. People down here have no idea how good they've got it. There are mountains in every direction. You can pick a new trail to explore every week within an hour of downtown. Endless scenic driving opportunities for the motorcyclist, including epic off-road trail options. If you prefer asphalt, the state and county highways seem to follow along the rivers and valleys, and the Blue Ridge Parkway provides beautiful overlooks.

If you make the choice to relocate to Roanoke or Salem, I really doubt you will ever regret it! There is absolutely no issue with crime down here, and the article you cite is absolutely and absurdly ridiculous coming from someone who actually experienced a crime ridden city.
Excellent post and I totally agree❗️Crime happens everywhere, however it does differ in nature depending on if it’s happening in a good area (usually break in’s) or shootings and assaults in poverty stricken areas and you certainly have a huge drug epidemic today throughout the entire US to a more or lesser degree.

Roanoke is an excellent place to live and I’m not being partial since we've lived in other places and have only been residents here for about 4 years. Statistics can be easily misinterpreted and misleading depending on the actual reporting criteria.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
I pulled it up over frustration with the "shelter in place" order and the lack of information. I expected to hear that there had been some horrific mass murder, not that they were looking for an AWOL Marine who allegedly killed his step-father. With all the law enforcement agencies out looking for this suspect, it makes me believe that there's much more to this story.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:27 PM

94 posts, read 108,561 times
Before I moved here, the city-data crime statistics showed Roanoke was higher than many of my Texas cities! But that is per capita, and even then, doesn't seem remotely accurate. I have yet to hear a single gunshot after living here almost two years and frankly the perceiveable threat level is pretty close to Mayberry, USA... just not seeing it.

Granted some areas are a little rough around the edges. East Roanoke along Tazewell and parallel roads are tight little avenues of blight, angry dogs, and side-stares... but no biggie. Hard folks gotta live somewhere. Still far preferable to Camden, east St. Louis, north Philly, nothing like that here at all.

Seems like the larger the city, the deeper the valleys (and higher the peaks). Roanoke is too small for those extremes... thank goodness.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I pulled it up over frustration with the "shelter in place" order and the lack of information. I expected to hear that there had been some horrific mass murder, not that they were looking for an AWOL Marine who allegedly killed his step-father. With all the law enforcement agencies out looking for this suspect, it makes me believe that there's much more to this story.
No. There was a murderer on the loose and they had to capture him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area