U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 PM

8 posts, read 10,309 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Roanoke in less than a month and I am looking for a house to rent for $1,400 or less. I having been looking around online for a couple months and there have been very few properties that suit my wife and I's taste. We are looking for something a little newer (or at least not looking so 70s still) with a 2 car garage, and 3+ bedroom 2+ bath. I am going to be in town Aug 14-16 and I'm coming all the way from California just to look for a place.

What I am wondering is does anyone know any good property manager's that might know of a lot of places they could show me while I'm there or any websites that I can look at properties on.

I have been looking daily on Craigslist, Zillow, Trulia, rent.roanoke.com, Long & Foster Property Management, MKB Property Management, Lawson Realty and Tammie Jo Realty.

I will be working in the 24019 zip code and don't mind around a 20 minute commute. I hear SW County is a good place. I have also heard that I may be able to find plenty of places just driving around and looking for For Rent signs. Does anyone have any experience doing this? My worry is that I may find places like this but, not enough time to schedule an appointment to look.

Also, have a 4 year old and a small dog so a fenced in yard would be nice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 AM

216 posts, read 364,974 times
Your best rental market is in Roanoke City. However, you won't find "new" homes there. It sounds like you are on the right track in finding a house that fits your desires. The reality companies would have a better gauge on rentals in the counties.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Your best rental market is in Roanoke City. However, you won't find "new" homes there. It sounds like you are on the right track in finding a house that fits your desires. The reality companies would have a better gauge on rentals in the counties.
I am still pretty confused on how everyone in Roanoke refers to the area as SW County, NE City, etc....

Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,785,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeregister View Post
I am still pretty confused on how everyone in Roanoke refers to the area as SW County, NE City, etc....
It is as if you take the entire Roanoke (city plus county) and make it into four quadrants - NE, NW, SE, SW. There are a few oddities to the boundaries but that's basically the plan.

These are more geographical...in other words, there is no effort to make the quadrants equal in size or population....just drawing a large PLUS SIGN with downtown at the center.

Everything within the actual city limits is then NE City, NW City, SE City or SW City.

The upscale area of South Roanoke - for some reason does not seem to get labeled because Jefferson Street - the dividing line as I understand it - runs smack in the middle - so though part of it would be SE and part SW - it just ends up being called South Roanoke.

The same concept is then used for the parts of the County which lie beyond the city limits - so you have SW county, SE county, NE county and NW county.

These attachments often appear on the postal street address, but they aren't technically necessary to distinguish the address.

That's about all I know haha!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM

Well looks like I'm printing a map of the county and a map of the city and doing my quadrants so I can learn where people are talking about.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,309 times
Hello, We are coming down from Rhode Island the same weekend! My husband has 2 interviews. We are also looking for a house to rent with a garage but old new does not matter. I have a 14 year old that will start High school this year. I also have a small dog. We need the garage for the Harley so we can ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have not had a reply about a job at this time. I see places on Craigslist but no one replies to me there either. Plus how do I know if it is a scam? I thought of contacting a church to see if I could send someone there a deposit and they check the place and pay the down payment for us. What a problem we have to figure it all out in a weekend. I suppose if it is meant to be it will all just come together. Thank you for any information you all might have on a house for rent. Good Luck to you and your Family Mikeregister in the new chapter in your life.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM

363 posts, read 449,078 times
Default Welcome and some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBellCoia View Post
Hello, We are coming down from Rhode Island the same weekend! My husband has 2 interviews. We are also looking for a house to rent with a garage but old new does not matter. I have a 14 year old that will start High school this year. I also have a small dog. We need the garage for the Harley so we can ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have not had a reply about a job at this time. I see places on Craigslist but no one replies to me there either. Plus how do I know if it is a scam? I thought of contacting a church to see if I could send someone there a deposit and they check the place and pay the down payment for us. What a problem we have to figure it all out in a weekend. I suppose if it is meant to be it will all just come together. Thank you for any information you all might have on a house for rent. Good Luck to you and your Family Mikeregister in the new chapter in your life.
Hi and welcome to Roanoke! Somethings we need to know to help you out. What is your budget and preferred size of house? How long of a commute? Would you like to be in Roanoke city? Roanoke county? maybe Salem or vinton? (if you are familiar with any of these).

Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Old 08-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Salem or Vinton looked real good and we like Peters Creek Road area. Hollins was nice. 600-800 would be a good price range. I wouldn't want to drive more then 20 or 30 minutes. I look forward to being back in the Mountains. I grew up in WVa but been a way for 19 years. Thank you cam4vt. I just don't know how it will all work out so if he gets a job this week end we need to move because school starts end of Aug here. Not to mention I will need a job too I am a medical assistant here but I would do anything that I could do until I found a good job.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,785,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBellCoia View Post
Salem or Vinton looked real good and we like Peters Creek Road area. Hollins was nice. 600-800 would be a good price range. I wouldn't want to drive more then 20 or 30 minutes. I look forward to being back in the Mountains. I grew up in WVa but been a way for 19 years. Thank you cam4vt. I just don't know how it will all work out so if he gets a job this week end we need to move because school starts end of Aug here. Not to mention I will need a job too I am a medical assistant here but I would do anything that I could do until I found a good job.
Medical is a good area around here - since this is a major medical center for a large region. GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or