Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what you are referring to with "the north section of Old Southwest."

As best as I can tell, some of the difference in housing prices will connect to school zones. Most of Old Southwest will be zoned to Highland Park Elem. There are some areas close by that are, as I understand it, zoned to Hurt Park Elem. which is a much more economically disadvantaged student population. So if school zones are not an issue, that can be a good way to get a better buy - but it school zones are an issue, it will be something to consider.

West End/Mountain View area is just west of downtown and it starting to become a neighborhood of choice for those who want a little better buy, but is still a bit rough and tumble. Here is a recent article about that area - very interesting - both the projects - and the back story about Corbin!

Corbin Prydwen invests in Roanoke's West End for diversity and profit - Roanoke Times: Roanoke News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 PM

411 posts, read 853,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I'm not sure what you are referring to with "the north section of Old Southwest."

As best as I can tell, some of the difference in housing prices will connect to school zones. Most of Old Southwest will be zoned to Highland Park Elem. There are some areas close by that are, as I understand it, zoned to Hurt Park Elem. which is a much more economically disadvantaged student population. So if school zones are not an issue, that can be a good way to get a better buy - but it school zones are an issue, it will be something to consider.

West End/Mountain View area is just west of downtown and it starting to become a neighborhood of choice for those who want a little better buy, but is still a bit rough and tumble. Here is a recent article about that area - very interesting - both the projects - and the back story about Corbin!

Corbin Prydwen invests in Roanoke's West End for diversity and profit - Roanoke Times: Roanoke News
I was referring to the area around Day Avenue, 7th St, 8th St, Campbell Avenue, etc. You're probably correct about the school thing. It's not an issue for us as of yet. I'm more geared towards charter schools/private schools anyway, but it could be years. Though I wouldn't it want it to be prohibitive to re-selling should we have to. Nonetheless, it appears that there are more fixer uppers in this area, so it could be a good investment for us.

I'll check out the West End. Like I said, I'm out of the urban pioneering business. I would have to check the crime stats before investing in somewhere that is on the make. Though I've always had aspirations to flip old houses, so this may be a neighborhood worth investing in for those purposes.

I'm honestly shocked by the number of "historic" neighborhoods Roanoke has. It's quite refreshing to see them intact for the most part. Here in Greenville, many of the historic neighborhoods are too expensive to live in ($250K is a steal for most of them) or are blighted to the point that it would be potentially dangerous to reside there.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM

90 posts, read 217,376 times
Gread thread.

Come visit!

You are exactly the kind of folk this town needs.

For the last four years or so there has been a marathon here. She is pretty nasty. There is a big climb up Mill Mountain.

On the way up swing by Abingdon and watch a play at the Barter Theater. Abingdon is two hours s.w. of Rke on Interstate 81.

Rke is 45 mins from Blacksburg, where Virginia Tech is located.

Great back roads for the Truimph. What type of motorcycle is it?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:09 PM

411 posts, read 853,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Town View Post
Gread thread.

Come visit!

You are exactly the kind of folk this town needs.

For the last four years or so there has been a marathon here. She is pretty nasty. There is a big climb up Mill Mountain.

On the way up swing by Abingdon and watch a play at the Barter Theater. Abingdon is two hours s.w. of Rke on Interstate 81.

Rke is 45 mins from Blacksburg, where Virginia Tech is located.

Great back roads for the Truimph. What type of motorcycle is it?
It's a Triumph Thruxton. Very few were made but it's akin to a Bonneville. The hubby is way obsessed with it. :-)

I'm not up to marathons yet, just halfs, and goodness I HATE hills. Guess I'll have to head back to Greenville for my racing action.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 PM

363 posts, read 557,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
It's a Triumph Thruxton. Very few were made but it's akin to a Bonneville. The hubby is way obsessed with it. :-)

I'm not up to marathons yet, just halfs, and goodness I HATE hills. Guess I'll have to head back to Greenville for my racing action.
There are more races in the year in Roanoke, but the big one referred to here is the blue ridge marathon which is titled as America's toughest road marathon. The organizers even invite people who complete other marathons that claim to be the toughest to run in the BRM.

Of course there is half and double marathons as well as 5k I believe. You should find plenty of running to do here and honestly the beauty will distract you from the pain of hills till you get used to them.

The BRM weekend has become huge around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area