Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 PM

94 posts, read 154,732 times

Advertisements

Just an interesting note I read from the U.S. Census Bureau on rankings of the 388 Metropolitan Statistical Areas as it relates to Roanoke.

Although Roanoke has a tiny metro population of 300,000 of only 4 counties we don't make an impact on Companies looking to
Relocate or expand. Our visibility to the outside world is growing with the proximity of growing Blacksburg new door. When and if the Feds decide to combine Roanoke -Blacksburg into one metro area we will have around 500,000 population. Some nearby metro areas have been granted up to 12 counties such as Knoxville, TN with 1 million population.

What really surprised me according to the 2013 census is that Roanoke has a ranking of 131 out of 388 metro
areas in the U.S. for per capita income. VA cities rank high on the list but since Roanoke has fallen behind other cities
in Va, Nc, etc on population growth, higher paying jobs coming here, I was surprised.

For comparison, Asheville is at 251, Greensboro at 249, Charlotte at 141.

For per capita income Roanoke must be gaining residents with money instead of low skilled workers. I continue to remain confused on why we have such poor retail opportunities with these impressive numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times
Might also just be more single HHs. Much easier to have high PCI with just 1 or 2 people and both working vs family of 5 or 6 and 1 or 2 earners.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM

94 posts, read 154,732 times
Yes, there must be an explanation. Roanoke has a large retired population. I have always known there is old money here which explains the $70 million Art Museum whereas cities 4 times the size couldn't get the donors. I am seeing downtown evolving into a higher income enclave. I often wonder what happened to the poor people who inhabited that area, now gone. My hunch is
More higher income retirees are moving here as there are certainly no higher wage jobs coming to Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: