Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times

Advertisements

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. The traveler asked the farmer, "What sort of people live in the next town?"

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town."

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard-working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 AM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
So true!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. The traveler asked the farmer, "What sort of people live in the next town?"

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town."

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard-working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
great post

Old 07-17-2015, 11:32 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Nomad, you should really submit this for an op-ed to the Roanoke Times - as a spark to healthy discussion.
definitely!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 PM

238 posts, read 338,321 times
Default Madison Wisconsin

I read an article that said Madison was one of the "snootiest" cities in the U.S.!!
Move over Chrlottesville!!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
I read an article that said Madison was one of the "snootiest" cities in the U.S.!!
Move over Chrlottesville!!
This is typical in upper middle class progressive/left communities.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
Hi

This is my first post here. My partner and I live in Houston and hope to be moving to the Roanoke area in the not-too-distant future.

Please bear with me, as this kind of post is not normally how I would choose to introduce myself. Still, I have to say how unimpressed I was with the OP here. Nomad Stephanie made a very passionate and articulate case but it fell way short for me in many ways.

One, the fact is that the struggles of the underclass are everywhere. There are insufficient services for very broad swaths of humanity, and it is indeed a problem we will likely always face. There is nothing unique about Roanoke in that respect. And yes, I feel confident of saying that without ever having lived there. If it is a disproportionate problem in Roanoke, no one has provided it here as anything more than an opinion.

I have worked in the mental health/social work area for about 30 years. My entire professional life has been one of dealing with deficits. Deficits in funding, housing, job training, food and even a dearth of legal justice for the people I have worked with.

I never once considered leaving where I live because of that. In fact, if I had I would have considered myself very selfish. I have always found solace in the fact that the more people or classes of people are marginalized, the more they need my help....even with its many limitations.

I chose rather to stay and try to inspire people to pitch in, but I never begrudged those who didn't simply because they were invested in their own lives and families. Or in their own ways of doing things in their church of choice.

Communities who want to grow must attract taxpaying citizens with discretionary income. True enough, only a small percentage of them will contribute meaningfully to less fortunate residents. However, one question deserves to be answered. Who will these unfortunates turn to if the only people who would help them flounce and leave the building? I am not trying to be rude here, just honest.

My partner and I have been in a literal coast to coast search in order to escape big city life and treacherous heat. We also want to enjoy four seasons and a home surrounded in natural beauty. Roanoke is where we have 99% decided to make our new home.

Do we have any illusions that Roanoke is perfect? No. We are assured to find things we don't like. We are aware that human beings, too, are flawed, just as we are. We know that every city and state in the country is a mixed bag.

I really appreciate what Nomad Stephanie had to say, and how she said it, but it does not deter me one bit from considering this beautiful spot, crumbs and all, as a place to call home.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
my only experience with Roanoke was a stay at Econolodge on Route 460 for the night en route from The Bronx to Birmingham 17 years ago. totally different from Northern Va off I 95 with mountains in the background. very charming. i saw the video very disturbing

Old 09-13-2015, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 29,025 times
Nomad, as one who is looking for an area to retire to in a few years, I appreciate your views of the Roanoke area. The best thing about your OP is the honest conversation it has generated in this thread. Personally, my own preference is Lynchburg but as I said I'm getting near retirement and don't need/want a vibrant nightlife etc. although my potential other half most likely would prefer it, which is why I'm investigating Roanoke. You have been both honest and fair from how I'm reading things, and so have the other commentators from their individual perspectives. Thanks to all who have thrown in their comments, its refreshing to see people disagree about something and have a truly intelligent conversation about it.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 PM

126 posts, read 324,558 times
Default I'm sorry I didn't know you when you lived here, NomadStephanie

I haven't posted on CityData in a looooong time. But I signed in to reply to this thread, even though it's been a while since the last post and the OP has moved away.

She had some very valid points, most of which I have witnessed. I appreciate her thoughts and wish I had seen her post before moving to Virginia.

Like the OP, I have happily lived all over the US and the attitude of the South took me by surprise. Many of my experiences were so vaguely unsettling that I wasn't able to identify them (let alone their source). But NomadStephanie summed it up perfectly.

I WAS mislead by the advertising and available data. Roanoke (and the adjacent areas) need to market themselves in a different way. Acknowledge that they are not a willingly diverse community. Most especially, amend the info about the city being predominantly Democratic to include the overriding conservative attitudes. Then, people can make an informed decision, based on open and frank information before they move here.

I am posting, not to argue with any of you who like living in SW Virginia, but to offer my support to NomadStephanie and second her experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area