Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 PM

94 posts, read 154,715 times

Advertisements

Not much room left on Jefferson. In future years expect to see more mid rise buildings. Roanoke is a
land locked area so we'll have to get used to more buildings, hopefully they will blend with our beautiful
landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM

363 posts, read 557,248 times
The mountains will always be there. If you have to build up to make the economy of the area better than so be it. I'm not saying skyscrapers outside of downtown, but downtown could do well with some taller buildings and such if it brings office jobs and more.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:40 PM

I don't have a problem with higher buildings downtown but they tend to block out natural light and for some there is a feeling
of being unsafe, especially at night. I had hoped the old "Y" on Church could've become a dense, high rise structure with housing, office, retail and a nucleus for the emerging west end part of downtown. I really like the way the Market area has evolved. It's friendly, great views and tourists seem to love it. It reminds me of a little "downtown Disney" of restaurants, Hotels,
museums. The new Market Building is unique although I hoped The Greek had stayed.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
Hi! I am about to move to Roanoke within the next couple of months, and want to live in the city area but not sure what's safe and nice (since I'm a single female who will be living alone). I was looking at The Patrick Henry, The Cotton Mills, and South16. Any thoughts? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM

216 posts, read 421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n22015 View Post
Hi! I am about to move to Roanoke within the next couple of months, and want to live in the city area but not sure what's safe and nice (since I'm a single female who will be living alone). I was looking at The Patrick Henry, The Cotton Mills, and South16. Any thoughts? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Going off your 'safe' criteria, my suggestion would be The Patrick Henry or South16. While the Cotton Mills are really nice, it's right on the edge of a neighborhood that's starting gentrification.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Going off your 'safe' criteria, my suggestion would be The Patrick Henry or South16. While the Cotton Mills are really nice, it's right on the edge of a neighborhood that's starting gentrification.
If we were then to compare Patrick Henry and South 16 - the PH is restored old building and South 16 is brand new construction.

PH is right downtown, across street from the main library and a very short walk (0.3 mile) to the Market Building - which is the hub of downtown activity day and night. Also VERY convenient to Elmwood Park where all kind of festivals and outdoor concerts take place!

South 16 has a great location - right across the street from the medical school - but a little further walk to all the action (1.2 miles from the Market Building) - it does have a great Starbucks adjacent - and the promise of more development - and nice access to the greenway. The free trolley also runs downtown from there (but only until 7 p.m. weekdays).

Either would be great! South 16 might have a slight edge based on safety just because no one "hangs around" in that area - but most of the "hang around" people downtown are panhandling and nothing more.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:54 PM

All depends on where you wish to be downtown. I like most of the apartments downtown. South 16 is new constructions so there may be more of a modern feel. Both are quite safe IMO, but I agree that you might feel a little more safe at south 16. Also south 16 is just part of phase one of the development on that side of downtown. Much more office space and retail is suppose to be on the way in the next phases.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
There was talk of a new development on williamson rd downtown. Not sure what has become of it.

Williamson Road project could launch new era in Roanoke development - Roanoke Times: Roanoke News

Obviously if the growth continues more will be needed.

Also with downtown expanding towards the bridges maybe some more will be built along that corridor.
Channel 10 reports the new housing development on Williamson Rd downtown will begin construction in May and it
Is anticipated completion in one year. This project will add 70 NEW apartments downtown!!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
Thank you all so much for the advice!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:41 PM

No problem! If you have any other questions let us know. Welcome to the Roanoke valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area