Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ52 View Post
We want to be within a few miles of downtown, preferably something south of Roanoke (i.e., southwest, south, southeast). We are interested in a suburban feel with mature trees and large lot. Walkable would be great. We don't really mind if houses are older or newer as long as we are not jammed in on other houses (we've tried the newer communities with .25 an acre and few if any trees and we hated it. I do love being within a 15 minute drive of shops and restaurants, though).
You should be able to find lots of options that fit your criteria!

Electric Road (419) is a main thoroughfare south of downtown with a lot of retail. There are bunches of suburban options to the south of 419 - Cave Spring area - Hunting Hills if you really wanna go upscale.

The neighborhoods between Electric Road and downtown - mostly in the city - have lots of great options too but the lots will tend to be smaller. Walkability goes hand in hand with a bit more density (naturally - otherwise there is nothing to walk to when the houses are spread out - so you get into the gas-guzzler).

Check out the 24018 zip code but don't limit yourself to it! Go to zillow.com and type in 24018...it is easy to search. It pulls up a map with pins and the price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 AM

I should add you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find Roanoke area properties that are more than 15 minutes from abundant retail. This would only happen if you desired to be really isolated. When I first moved here two years ago, I literally would laugh with my new neighbors about the fact that anything I would want to go to outside my immediate neighborhood was "about 15 minutes" away.

(But I also had to learn - coming from Texas - that 15 minutes was not 15 miles. Due to the terrain and narrow roads - 15 minutes usually means 5 miles!)

Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 AM

10 posts, read 23,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I should add you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find Roanoke area properties that are more than 15 minutes from abundant retail. This would only happen if you desired to be really isolated. When I first moved here two years ago, I literally would laugh with my new neighbors about the fact that anything I would want to go to outside my immediate neighborhood was "about 15 minutes" away.

(But I also had to learn - coming from Texas - that 15 minutes was not 15 miles. Due to the terrain and narrow roads - 15 minutes usually means 5 miles!)
Hilarious! Thanks for the info. It's good to know an area to consider, so I will check out that zip code. I would prefer a house closer to downtown than my husband would. But he travels a lot and I'll be "home" more, so I am trying to find something that meets both our needs--walkability for me and large lot with trees for him.

Our real estate agent sent us a list of houses that are too far out--Bent Mountain Rd, for example--so I need to be very specific with what we mean by larger lot with mature trees (I think we told him "and a view would be nice" so he focused mostly on the view). I'd forego a mountain view for a pleasant neighborhood with lots of birds and trees and friendly people, maybe a greenway nearby....I do not want to feel isolated. Been there, done that

Old 06-09-2015, 01:08 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
How far out (time wise) is Bent Mountain from Roanoke?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM

363 posts, read 557,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
How far out (time wise) is Bent Mountain from Roanoke?
Depends on what part, but from bent mountain to downtown is about 30ish mins. 20 or so miles give or take.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Depends on what part, but from bent mountain to downtown is about 30ish mins. 20 or so miles give or take.
Yeah Bent Mountain post office to Market Building downtown Roanoke shows 26-29 minutes depending on traffic. The PO is right on the highway so you can add 5-10+ minutes for properties off the beaten path.

There used to be an elementary school in Bent Mountain, but now they have to come in to Back Creek.

There are some spectacular switchbacks on US 221 going out to Bent Mountain, but I would not enjoy driving those every day.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM

CJ52's post said Bent Mountain Road which could be quite a bit closer to Roanoke - the name for US 221 changes from Brambleton to Bent Mountain at some point.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Re: house listings our agent sent us

The closest house on the list to Roanoke that's near Bent Mt. Rd. is a mile away from Back Creek Elementary School. Google maps says the house is just under 12 miles from Center in the Square, which is about 24 min drive.

I really hoped to be a bit closer to the city, although I must admit the views from the houses near and on Bent Mt Rd are spectacular. However, I can't help but think about being stranded when the weather is bad...and what about fog on that side of the mountain? I'm not familiar enough with it to know what issues to consider other than those. It just seems a bit too far out of the city for me when looking on the computer; we may take a drive out there this weekend to get a first-hand feel for it.

Right now, Cave Spring or Hidden Valley or Hunting Hills seem more my style if we can find something affordable (less than 325,000). It's funny, though, how my husband and I are finding that he's more "rural" and I'm way more "semi-rural" than we thought.

Last edited by CJ52; 06-10-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ52 View Post
Re: house listings our agent sent us

The closest house on the list to Roanoke that's near Bent Mt. Rd. is a mile away from Back Creek Elementary School. Google maps says the house is just under 12 miles from Center in the Square, which is about 24 min drive.

I really hoped to be a bit closer to the city

I don't think your agent is understanding what you are asking for! There should be plenty of options much closer and not too pricey.

There are plenty of rural-ish properties much closer to Electric Road/419 with incredible views!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I don't think your agent is understanding what you are asking for! There should be plenty of options much closer and not too pricey.

There are plenty of rural-ish properties much closer to Electric Road/419 with incredible views!
Thank you. Today my goal is to locate a few of those listings and take to him when we meet Friday! I appreciate your advice! I hadn't planned to do all the work myself, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area