Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. We live in a semi-rural area of Maryland and to be honest the lack of restaurants has become a problem over the years. My thing is getting carry out, do it all the time. Incredibly convenient and much faster, easier, and cheaper than eating out. But after 12 years Mount Airy, MD's lack of diversity has gotten to me, only have 2-3 spots to chose from (chains do not offer food good enough to get carryout in my opinion).

So basically I'm looking for semi-rural with several different types of restaurants that offer food that works well for carry out (Pizza, Mexican, Chinese, something more ethnic like Thai, Greek maybe?) that aren't an hour round trip away. I know I know probably not realistic. But I can ask can't I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 05:44 PM

371 posts, read 257,925 times
We made a trip back down through Roanoke and Salem. Marked Roanoke its self off almost immediately too big for us and downtown was really ghetto looking area. We ended up in Salem and fell in love with it and also Blacksburg area. Debating between Va and Pennsylvania right now...I want Va personally not sure about wife. Hoping to use her intense love for Blacksburg to my advantage!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 PM

363 posts, read 557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
We made a trip back down through Roanoke and Salem. Marked Roanoke its self off almost immediately too big for us and downtown was really ghetto looking area. We ended up in Salem and fell in love with it and also Blacksburg area. Debating between Va and Pennsylvania right now...I want Va personally not sure about wife. Hoping to use her intense love for Blacksburg to my advantage!
Downtown Roanoke is not ghetto looking IMO. There are outside areas that are rough, but all the money such has put downtown as one of the better places to live in the area. JMO

Old 07-26-2015, 04:44 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Downtown Roanoke is not ghetto looking IMO. There are outside areas that are rough, but all the money such has put downtown as one of the better places to live in the area. JMO
What cam4vt said.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
I visited the downtown area and agree with cam4vt. The downtown area is nice. If you want ghetto come visit Newport News.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM

371 posts, read 257,925 times
We came down 81 onto 581 and got off near downtown its self...ended up near some city housing ghetto looking places....the downtown area its self was nice looking just odd to me the housing places were that close to downtown...either way Salem is more our size and speed.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 AM

363 posts, read 557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
We came down 81 onto 581 and got off near downtown its self...ended up near some city housing ghetto looking places....the downtown area its self was nice looking just odd to me the housing places were that close to downtown...either way Salem is more our size and speed.
Probably got off onto 460 west headed toward salem. There are some city housing up that way, but still not very ghetto. I guess it depends what you are coming from as well. People living in parts of the hampton roads or any larger metro would barely be phased by any bad areas of the valley. However coming from a small area then it would seem like the worst possible part of the valley to live in.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with Salem, but just remember Salem, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Vinton are pretty much one big urban area of about 215k people that interact on a daily bases. You will be doing stuff in at least 3 of the places every week. Vinton being the odd one since you are in Salem you usually do not need to go that far east..

Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 PM

238 posts, read 338,252 times
Agreed, Salem is a nice place. Salem has some really run down houses and oddly new expensive housing next door. I think
the downtown area of Salem has a lot of potential and I'd like to see much more new housing to rejuvenate what is already there.
Downtown Roanoke is probably the best part of Roanoke as the Citys' residential neighborhoods continue their decline in housing values, lots more crime and decling schools. "Diversity" means Big Change for City Residents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area