Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,275 times

Advertisements

...and any other investment in Roanoke. Now known internationally as a bigoted backward city that knows f-all about American history. Thanks, outgoing (finally) mayor David Whatamaroon Bowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 03:08 PM

238 posts, read 338,321 times
Whenever Mayor Bowers speaks I cringe. When the news came out on Norfolk Southern closing its Roanoke office his comment
was "It just broke my heart" and then he ranted on about all of the new projects coming to Roanoke. When I was watching him
I thought "What happened Mayor"? Mayor Bowers, The Washington Post and others do not know how the terrorism threat
is likely to unfold. Remarks such as the Mayors' seems to indicate he was comparing the publics reaction to the Japanese
on the west coast who were afraid the Japanese could communicate info to Japan. I did a report on this subject in college and
few people knew the U.S. actually interned these people just because they were Japanese. As far as Deschutes or future breweries coming here is concerned, I think our biggest joke is Al Bedrosian of the Roanoke County Board of Suoervisors who is
totally against Roanoke County joining an organization which promotes a clean environment. I read a beer article which said
craft beer companies are totally into clean environmental polices. Al is up for reelection in 2 years and Roanoke City loses
Bowers. On the Deschutes brewery has anyone heard anything, just curious!!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM

363 posts, read 557,291 times
Meehhh back off the ledge. He is on the way out. Getting businesses us about way more than one guy who cuts ribbons. Let's be honest that is his only job with the city.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
...and any other investment in Roanoke. Now known internationally as a bigoted backward city that knows f-all about American history.

I first believed that you had some solid news about Deschutes, but it seems like you are assuming that they won't want to choose Roanoke now because of Mayor Bowers views...

Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 PM

The latest news from Deschutes after Mayor Bowers' comments is that Roanoke is still in the running, although I am thinking
now the Mayor has probably killed the deal. IMAGE is everything in business deals and sadly Roanoke has had too much bad
news so far this year. Im wondering what else could possibly go wrong? I firmly believe Roanoke will recover from all of this
negativity as we have positioned our valley for a bright future. I am so glad I live here, at least were not being run out of town by
gangs and the local economy is still quite diverse with or without Deschutes!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:46 PM

363 posts, read 557,291 times
No matter what Deschutes will do what it was going to do before the mayor made that horrid mistake. They Re going to go where it's best for business. Besides with the response from the area and with bowers leaving after this year I'm not sure it was that big of a hit. I think whatever decision they make will be based on a lot more than this situation. JMO

Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 AM

deschutes, please ignore Liberty University president Jonathan Falwell when he calls for students to carry guns on campus. He know not what he speak. Lynchburg, btw is an hour away from Roanoke and getting more far out as that school grows.
Maybe we could send some non alcoholic craft beer to Liberty or I wouldnt be surprised if many LU folks dont come to Roanoke
to try some Deschutes products. Mayor Bowers now has a pistol packin buddy!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 AM

By the way, it was Jerry Falwell, Jr who made the announcement, and personally, I'm on his side and I agree with him (on the Gun part).

Also, I've been holding back my comments on the Deschutes deal, but now that the subject is up, I'm all for new business and all for forward progress, but being Anti-Alcohol, I won't lose any sleep if they don't decide.

I'm really amazed on many out there are all "hopped-up" on Deschutes (and yes, you can call that a pun if you want to). My main concern with Alcohol is to keep our roads free of drunk or impaired drivers as much as we possibly can. My question is, will Deschutes help or hurt that issue?

(Hope y'all took some business psychology courses out there).

Last edited by 16 Acres; 12-07-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Also, I've been holding back my comments on the Deschutes deal, but now that the subject is up, I'm all for new business and all for forward progress, but being Anti-Alcohol, I won't lose any sleep if they don't decide.

I'm really amazed on many out there are all "hopped-up" on Deschutes (and yes, you can call that a pun if you want to). My main concern with Alcohol is to keep our roads free of drunk or impaired drivers as much as we possibly can. My question is, will Deschutes help or hurt that issue?
I'm a beer nerd so I'm happy about Roanoke becoming a craft beer town. Deschutes would add to that and fits in nicely with the rest of the region's outdoor branding that's brought in tons of external dollars through the Go Outside Festival, the Blue Ridge Marathon, etc. I don't know how many great living-wage jobs a new brewery would create directly, but that one in particular would surely have a positive indirect effect.

Your concern about drunk driving is valid - I'd suggest the same thing on that front as you (as a pro-2A person) might suggest with regard to gun control: proper and consistent enforcement of existing law will go a lot farther in minimizing that crime than discouraging commerce and the safe enjoyment of something that's legal.

Only if there's a real risk of cost/incarceration/criminal record/loss of privileges - first offense - will people use DDs/cabs/uber to get home.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
will people use DDs/cabs/uber to get home.
I sure do hope so, but I worry about that "gray area". Will everyone really draw the line and not drive when they cross over their line that is not always consistent.

In a related issue, I just read in Sunday's paper (Business section) that Hard Liquor sales continue to grow in the region, and as we all know, Micro-breweries are also the "new" thing. Wineries are also on the rise in the area.

Seems like we are becoming a very "alcoholic" region lately...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area