Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,651 times

Advertisements

SW Va, Southern WV, and East Ky pronounce it "App-a-latch-a". Whenever I hear it said the other way on tv and such, it makes me cringe, like nails on the chalkboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I like to get sandwiches at the Appalachian (app-a-LAY-ch'n) Deli in Garrison, NY. It is located where the Appalachian Trail crosses Rt. 9.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Do you say it Bwane'-na Vis'-ta ?
There is actually a town in Texas called BUNA but BUENA is always pronounced BWAY-na!

Fortunately I don't have to say it very often!!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Do you say it Bwane'-na Vis'-ta ?"...yes with the Spanish pronunciation it deserves...see the dictionary or
listen here. Or listen to the next one...."wa-no"...with little or no emphasis on the "b". One would assume that Colorado had a Spanish origin as it was originally part of old Mexico...thus one would assume the Spanish pronunciation would be accurate, not the anglo version of bue-na (long u). But hey...say it the way you want...being correct has nothing to do with it. What is the proper pronunciation of Colorado ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Yeah, here in Virginia we have our "own" way of saying words in our own state, even though the words originated elsewhere.

No one has responded to Buchanan yet, lol.

How do you all say it ?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 AM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
Very simple. Apple-at-chia.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Yeah, here in Virginia we have our "own" way of saying words in our own state, even though the words originated elsewhere.

No one has responded to Buchanan yet, lol.

How do you all say it ?
Before coming here I would be inclined to say Bew-CAN-non ("bew" as in "view") but I think I hear it more like Buck-cannon here (not sure of the accent)

Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
But hey...say it the way you want...being correct has nothing to do with it.
There are PLENTY of weirded out pronunciations in Texas, especially of words with Spanish roots.

The street San Felipe in Houston - should be sahn-fuh-LEE-pay but it comes out san-FILL-uh-pee

The town Refugio in TX - should be something like ray-FEW-hee-oh but it comes out ruh-FEERY-oh

The town Mexia in TX - should be something like meh-HEE-ah but it comes muh-HAY-uh or even
muh-HAIR

And my fave - the town of Bogata - I think someone misspelled their attempt at Bogota - but despite the spelling, in the town it is pronounced buh-GO-duh

But BUENA just messes with my head for some reason.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Before coming here I would be inclined to say Bew-CAN-non ("bew" as in "view") but I think I hear it more like Buck-cannon here (not sure of the accent)
You are correct. It is pronounced BUCK-cannon.

Even the TV Reporters pronounce it that way and it they are from out of the area, the seem to learn pretty quick, lol.

We could go on and on, lol.

Anyone for Pulaski ?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Appalachia, put a latch on it.

Every region has idiosyncratic ways of pronouncing certain place names. The ones around here still sound silly to me after nearly a decade (Byooona Vista, Buck-ann-in, Botty-tot) but the ones in MD that sound normal to me because I grew up there would sound silly to y'all (Boo-ee, Mt. Rain-yer, Rowe ["ow!"] Blvd., Weemsport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area