Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times

Advertisements

I suspect everyone is aware of the situation, but I thought people interested in the Roanoke area might want to see a picture of the fires that hit the area yesterday during some extreme wind.

We have been here since 1989 and have never seen wind as bad as it was yesterday. The airport in the valley recorded gusts up to 67 mph, and I am sure it was higher up on the mountains where we live.

At 5 pm today when the picture was taken, the fires were still burning, and there reports that power won't be restored to everyone until Friday.

There are a couple of more pictures at my blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Unhappy Sad fires

Thanks for the pics! I was in Richmond this weekend... so I missed the winds here.. Richmond got hit with it too though nowhere as bad as here in Roanoke. It was sad for me to see the fires burning while I was on I-81 today.. I was one of the lucky ones who didnt loose power.. I think I may be on the same line as Corillion or something.. all the homes in my neighborhood went out except for this block.. Again thanks for the pics.. I hear that fire has taken out 2,000+ acres so far :-(

[quote=dsobotta;2797601]I suspect everyone is aware of the situation, but I thought people interested in the Roanoke area might want to see a picture of the fires that hit the area yesterday during some extreme wind.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Over here on the other side of the blue ridge in Boones Mill I can smell the smoke and the haze is settled into our valley. It's dense enough for my HVAC to be pulling in the odor into our house.

The winds yesterday on this side of the mountains were also very strong. A few downed trees on our 128 acres but only minor damage to fencing. I was painting my house up on a 20' ladder during the wind, on top of an exposed hill at about 1320', which is not entirely out of character, although I could have picked a better day

Sean

Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Good to see you are okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Over here on the other side of the blue ridge in Boones Mill I can smell the smoke and the haze is settled into our valley. It's dense enough for my HVAC to be pulling in the odor into our house.

The winds yesterday on this side of the mountains were also very strong. A few downed trees on our 128 acres but only minor damage to fencing. I was painting my house up on a 20' ladder during the wind, on top of an exposed hill at about 1320', which is not entirely out of character, although I could have picked a better day

Sean
Stilling challenging mother nature I see.

My wife had dinner with some friends last night in the area. One of them lives not far from Oak Grove Plaza on 419. Her power has been off since the middle of the afternoon on Sunday. She is being told that they might not get to her area until Friday.

When you consider she lives about one half of a mile off of one of the busiest roads in the area, it is a pretty good indication of how much damage the storm did.

This morning the winds have changed and we can now smell the smoke over on our side of the Valley.

I think I will head back down to the coast where we only have to worry about Nor'easters this time of year.

We have had some fog but nothing like these winds. I'm glad the mountains are around to protect those of us living on the coast.

Last edited by dsobotta; 02-12-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
We have had some fog but nothing like these winds. I'm glad the mountains are around to protect those of us living on the coast.
Funny, I say the same thing - only in the inverse - when eastern NC gets pasted by hurricanes and tropical storms and all we get is some much needed rain

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area