Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 880 times

Advertisements

Hello, Hubby and I will be staying in Virginia next week, and I'm trying to decide between Staunton, Lexington, and similar for a 3 night stay. I know we want to travel around the civil war sites, and enjoy the mountains, but would like to have good (not crazy, we are in our late 40's) fun at local restaurants and pubs. Hubby is from Ireland, and we like authentic vs touristy pubs. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 PM

150 posts, read 211,627 times
I'll give my 2 cents since no one else has chimed in yet. I'm by no means an expert, in fact, I live in Houston. We plan to relocate to Roanoke next year. I've done a lot of reading on the area and one of the places that really stands out is Charlottesville. It might be worth looking into. It's not that far from the other places you mentioned and it's the home of Monticello and the former home of Jefferson, Monroe and Madison -- so lots of history. Looks like plenty of restaurants and activities to keep you busy. And, judging by the photos I've seen online, it's a gorgeous little city.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:11 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,017,645 times
Waynesboro VA could be a good location for a place to stay - because it is immediately adjacent to the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) to the north and the Blue Ridge Parkway to the south - and is reasonably close to Charlottesville and to Staunton - in case you want to do some exploring. If you prefer to stay in just one area and not do driving it would make more sense to go to Charlottesville or Staunton or some such!

Beautiful, beautiful area!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM

130 posts, read 139,266 times
We stayed in Staunton a few months back. Stayed at a local hotel. It was vey clean, beautiful, comfy and conveniently located to the historic area. We could leave our hotel and walk to the shops. There was a great little restaurant/pub across the way that had very good food and incredibly friendly folks. (Mill house i think?)
Right next door was a Shakespeare playhouse, if you like plays and such.
We had breakfast in organic market around corner. Great ice cream down the road. Bought antiques a few doors down from there.
Absolutely loved our Staunton stay! Would go back in a heart beat. Would love to live there!!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,410,530 times
Even if you don't stay there, definitely visit Lexington. It's a neat historical town with both Virginia Military Institute and Washington & Lee University side by side yet totally different. Visit the chapel on W&L campus, burial place of Robert E. Lee and his family (and horse) as well as the cemetery in town where Stonewall Jachson is buried. Don't bother visiting Natural Bridge, or if you do, try to look around the cheesy tourist trap stuff that grew up around it and enjoy the natural scenery. I know it's been recently sold so hopefully it'll get better. Lots of history in that area, so enjoy!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM

911 posts, read 2,144,734 times
I would say Lexington. It's so beautiful, I could just walk around all day. Stonewall Jackson's house is there, which you can tour, and it doesn't get much more cram packed with history than VMI. It's a beautiful, pleasant small town. If you haven't yet, watch Field of Lost Shoes. I think it's still on Netflix. It's a civil war movie about the VMI boys, and it takes place in Lexington, Staunton, etc. It'd be a cool thing to watch before you go, to add perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area