U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:34 PM

148 posts, read 164,349 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Roanoke next month and plan to spend some time looking for possible areas to settle when we relocate next year. Some folks within these threads have suggested finding a home with a view which would be great -- but where?

It seems 24015 / 24014 are very popular areas to live but if we also want a view -- where do we look? Our #1 priority is finding a safe area close to amenities, but we're also hoping to find a beautiful mountain view.

We'd prefer a "neighborhood" feel and definitely want to stay clear from areas too close to wildlife (ie. the kind that might be interested in eating us or our little dogs.).

As far as I can tell, some of the homes in 24019 (north) and 24018 (Cave Spring area) have some very pretty scenery. Are there other places we should consider?

As long as we're moving to Roanoke for its gorgeous natural beauty, it would be nice to wake up to it every day.

Thank you.

Last edited by cumbriabeval; 09-03-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 07:08 PM

65 posts, read 58,048 times
One Word, Not Plastics but 24018 is the location for views. Good Luck!!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:14 PM

So the Cave Spring area. Awesome! Thank you, Rke Deschutes.

It appears Cave Spring is pretty convenient to downtown too (hopefully).

PS: Not sure what "Plastics" is / are.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 809,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
We will be visiting Roanoke next month and plan to spend some time looking for possible areas to settle when we relocate next year. Some folks within these threads have suggested finding a home with a view which would be great -- but where?

It seems 24015 / 24014 are very popular areas to live but if we also want a view -- where do we look? Our #1 priority is finding a safe area close to amenities, but we're also hoping to find a beautiful mountain view.

We'd prefer a "neighborhood" feel and definitely want to stay clear from areas too close to wildlife (ie. the kind that might be interested in eating us or our little dogs.).

As far as I can tell, some of the homes in 24019 (north) and 24018 (Cave Spring area) have some very pretty scenery. Are there other places we should consider?

As long as we're moving to Roanoke for its gorgeous natural beauty, it would be nice to wake up to it every day.

Thank you.
Too close to wildlife, are you serious? The most dangerous wildlife you will ever experience would be humans?
Perhaps you should relocate to Chicago where you will find no animals by the true definition!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Rickcin, perhaps you take me too literally. One of the reasons we are moving to Roanoke is to enjoy nature, including wildlife, I just don't necessarily want it in my backyard where I'd have to worry about my dogs or while taking the trash out at night. When you've spent your entire life in a city the size of Houston, you are naturally a little cautious moving to an area like Roanoke where the critters are a lot closer.

Chicago? No thanks.

Last edited by cumbriabeval; 09-03-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM

Ok, perhaps a little too literal, but we just moved here from the NY area and are living in the Cloverdale area by Read Mountain. We have a small cat who stays outside almost all of the time and the biggest concern with his demise would be getting run over by a car.

Unless you are going to buy a place with a septic system, on 5 acres or so, I really don't think animals would be a major concern.
We have not seen or heard of any dangerous wildlife so far and where we are located, we are on 1/2 acres lots which is considered a lot of property for this area.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:23 PM

Thank you, Rickcin. That's really good news. I'm sure it won't take long to acclimate to the area and I can relax my silly fears.

Kind of funny (but not really). We've recently had cats disappearing in my neighborhood here in the heart of Houston and they suspect coyotes that live along the bayou. We also have raccoons and possums so maybe Roanoke won't be all that different after all.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Are you looking to buy a single family house to a Condo or renting?

Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM

The plan is to find short-term lease (looking for a quality apartment) for about 3-months while we search for a single-family home. Hope to find a brick ranch on a smaller lot in a good area. Everyone seems to like Cave Spring so we'll probably look there since we don't want to wait a full year to purchase a home. Open to suggestions.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 PM

65 posts, read 58,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rke Deschutes View Post
One Word, Not Plastics but 24018 is the location for views. Good Luck!!
If you ever saw the movie "The Graduate" back in 1969 Dustin Hoffman was given advise on what to do with his future life
and one word "Plastics" was given as at that time when the Plastics industry had a big future. I guess I am getting old
Ha Ha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or