Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:03 AM

10 posts, read 12,861 times

Advertisements

Pictures of the area look all like gentle, rolling, small mountains with well maintained roads going through hills. Are there any roads with sheer drop offs? Are these located deep in the mountains where you would really only be going to explore or hike? How are the roads between Blue Ridge and other eastern County areas, Daleville, and towards Roanoke? What about driving towards Blacksburg, or even crossing the mountains towards Pennsylvania? The mountain roads here in California are often very sheer and sometimes without rails and I'm having a hard time getting that picture out of my mind when I try picturing Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 07:16 AM

696 posts, read 1,424,343 times
No worries at all. The road from Blacksburg to Roanoke cuts through a mountain, and the roads from Daleville/Blue Ridge are not mountainous at all. The road south to Floyd is switchbacky and fun to drive (if nausea-inducing for passengers), but no sheer dropoffs to be found.

Our mountains have been here a long time and they have nothing to prove. They are pretty chill about letting you pass through them.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,938,568 times
I'm gonna Highjack this thread to ask a related question - when it's snowy are the roads cleared/treated? Or is it like here in Charlotte, wait til the snow melts. I'm coming up in February and of course in the back of my mind it will have just snowed - cuz I bring snow places I think.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,030,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I'm gonna Highjack this thread to ask a related question - when it's snowy are the roads cleared/treated? Or is it like here in Charlotte, wait til the snow melts. I'm coming up in February and of course in the back of my mind it will have just snowed - cuz I bring snow places I think.
The "through" routes are treated very quickly but very rural and residential roads might linger for a while.

Moving here from Texas it seems to me that they do a pretty good job. But those who come from much snowier places complain a lot!

Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM

696 posts, read 1,424,343 times
Most roads are cleared. Smaller residential streets not right away and low-population rural roads not so much, but Roanoke and the surrounding counties have snow-clearing equipment and they're not afraid to use it.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,389,410 times
Would like to point out though that there are many roads out there with dangerous curves and steep drops offs without guardrails, although they are mostly are rural back roads.

But, even in the city limits there are places where you need to take careful control and not veer off too far to the edge, as you will find yourself stuck down into a deep ditch.

Just don't want the OP to get the wrong impression.

If someone was on a mission to find some horrifying places, they wouldn't have that far to travel.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 12,861 times
Horrifying roads sound easy to avoid at least.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 AM

363 posts, read 555,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAndFamily View Post
Horrifying roads sound easy to avoid at least.
Most "horrifying" roads are easy to drive with common sense. I know living here makes it easier to deal with these roads, but really its no big deal IMO.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:33 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,030,315 times
I'm an Uber driver on the side so I make it around the area quite a bit. If you are a normally careful driver not under the influence, the roads are not particularly scary - having moved here from the flatlands they do take some getting used to!

Here are the things I truly do watch for:

1 - Steep roads during icy conditions. Avoid if possible.

2 - Some driveways can be a bear to back down!

3 - DEER. That's probably number one. Stay alert, because they are all over the place, even in the city.

4 - Interstate 81. That's still probably the most nervous I get, due to heavy truck traffic and elevation changes. You really need to drive defensively. The truck drivers are obviously very skillful, but they sometimes follow awfully closely. Don't just set your cruise control and drive - prepare to get out of the way.

The roads are often narrow and winding but the speed limits are pretty slow!

Old 01-29-2017, 01:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,389,410 times
Also on I-81 between Roanoke and Christiansburg, be careful of Speed Limit changes. They go back and forth and you can get ticketed if you don't pay close enough attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area