Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,563 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Roanoke with a houseful of pets! I've made a visit to one vet who was quite nice but very expensive, even by California standards.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced vet in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,422,084 times
We love Brandon Animal Hospital.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:49 AM

1,813 posts, read 4,194,561 times
I am also new to Roanoke. I have met a woman who works at Angels of Assissi and another who uses this clinic for routine care for her dogs. If you want low-cost, this is your place. For routine vaccinations, spaying and neutering, dental cleanings and other items, their prices are shown here:

Angels of Assisi :: Community Pet Clinic

Dental cleanings for dogs and cats are expensive. They charge $100 plus $15 for extractions. In Newport News, getting this done ran $300 to nearly $500 per pet depending on whether extractions were done.
And you can schedule an appointment online.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 PM

63 posts, read 99,790 times
Hi DaisyLu,

Did you find anything? My family and I also have lots of furry babies and are relocating to Roanoke soon. Would love to hear more about vets in the area.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 PM

150 posts, read 211,529 times
Parkway Vets in Vinton was recommended to us and we were very pleased with the service. From what I understand, one of the veterinarians from Vinton Veterinary Hospital (top rated) went out on her own and opened Parkway Vets - same great service but more reasonably priced.

With few exceptions, veterinary clinics are pretty expensive. We've only visited Parkway Vets once since we are also new to Virginia, but we were very impressed with Dr. Sonia Bolen and feel we were charged a fair price for services.

Parkway Veterinary Hospital - Veterinarian In Vinton, VA USA :: Home

Now if we could only find a good KENNEL to board our dogs like the one we had back home in Houston. This has been a very stressful challenge and we have not at all been pleased with the choices so far or with where we left our dogs a couple of weeks ago while we were in Alaska. I should say I am very particular about my dogs so someone else might be perfectly fine with the same kennels.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:11 AM

63 posts, read 99,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Parkway Vets in Vinton was recommended to us and we were very pleased with the service. From what I understand, one of the veterinarians from Vinton Veterinary Hospital (top rated) went out on her own and opened Parkway Vets - same great service but more reasonably priced.

With few exceptions, veterinary clinics are pretty expensive. We've only visited Parkway Vets once since we are also new to Virginia, but we were very impressed with Dr. Sonia Bolen and feel we were charged a fair price for services.

Parkway Veterinary Hospital - Veterinarian In Vinton, VA USA :: Home

Now if we could only find a good KENNEL to board our dogs like the one we had back home in Houston. This has been a very stressful challenge and we have not at all been pleased with the choices so far or with where we left our dogs a couple of weeks ago while we were in Alaska. I should say I am very particular about my dogs so someone else might be perfectly fine with the same kennels.

Very helpful, as always Cumbriabeval - thank you! We have 4 critters and lately, it's been one thing after another. We've averaged about $500/month for the last 3 months! But they are so worth it, aren't they?

I agree with you about kennels. I can't do it. You might try contacting a local Boy Scout troop and see if they have a Scout interested in pet sitting. There is a merit badge some Scouts are working towards (we are Scouts). If it's not during summer, I'm sure my 13-year-old would do it. Both of mine are in National Junior Honor Society and must perform service projects to remain in the Society. I'm sure there are a lot of kids around who will do the same.

I have heard of one near Cave Spring called Sleepy Hollow Kennel. Their website is Sleepy Hollow Kennel. I was impressed with their set-up and that it's run by a family.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:45 AM

150 posts, read 211,529 times
Hi Roanoke Bound ~ Pet Sitting is not an option for us so we will continue our search to find the right kennel. Thanks for mentioning Sleepy Hollow Kennel. I will check them out.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
Angels of Assisi as mentioned is the most affordable. We take our rescue dogs there.

I use Pet Vet on Electric Road, but that would not be convenient for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: