Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 AM

150 posts, read 213,239 times

Advertisements

Watchful ~ THANK YOU!! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post (over my morning cup of tea). You have been so helpful to so many on this forum and for those who don't know, Watchful played a big part in helping me make the decision to move to Roanoke. Just reading over the above post, I learned SO MUCH - and I've lived here for six months!

Watchful needs to write a book - on life in Roanoke! Seriously! Or maybe just on "life." I'd read that, too!

And thank you for explaining the humidity comparison between Houston and Roanoke in a way I never could.

The locals do seem bewildered as to why we would choose to live here. It's so funny to me. I ask them if they've ever been to Houston because if they had, they would understand. Ha! I don't think it's possible to not fall in love with the Roanoke area but those of us from other places seem to have a special appreciation for it.

Thanks again, Watchful! Always a pleasure reading your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Watchful ~ THANK YOU!! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post (over my morning cup of tea). You have been so helpful to so many on this forum and for those who don't know, Watchful played a big part in helping me make the decision to move to Roanoke. Just reading over the above post, I learned SO MUCH - and I've lived here for six months!

Watchful needs to write a book - on life in Roanoke! Seriously! Or maybe just on "life." I'd read that, too!

And thank you for explaining the humidity comparison between Houston and Roanoke in a way I never could.

The locals do seem bewildered as to why we would choose to live here. It's so funny to me. I ask them if they've ever been to Houston because if they had, they would understand. Ha! I don't think it's possible to not fall in love with the Roanoke area but those of us from other places seem to have a special appreciation for it.

Agreed - Watchful is a city-data rockstar!

I was teasing you about the humidity - I am from DC which was built on a swamp (as we are all reminded during every political campaign!) so objectively it really isn't bad here - I am growing less tolerant of it as I grow older though! (Also, I missed a "b" when I typed out your name - sorry about that!)

Watchful, check out Cuban Island on Williamson Road if you haven't yet. Good stuff!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

216 posts, read 421,641 times
Quick note on relocating. We moved from Grandin out to Botetourt County (Cloverdale) in December 2016. Reasons: Lower taxes compared to Roanoke City and Roanoke County, Schools and more land and more house.

I'd say the Cloverdale and Daleville areas are currently the fastest growing "suburbs" right now. The main issue here right now, is available housing. They've added a ton of jobs, but there is a real shortage of affordable homes. Plenty for sale in Ashley Plantation, but you're looking at homes that start at $400k. We feel lucky that we we found our home. Anything that comes on the market in our neighborhood gets a contract within weeks (I'm not embellishing).

Just my $.02

Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,401,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I have been here four years and still not gotten used to the Confederate flag thing.
The Confederate Flag is just expressing Southern Pride more than anything.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,054,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The Confederate Flag is just expressing Southern Pride more than anything.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Plenty of places elsewhere for that debate but coming here from elsewhere it definitely leaves a negative taste for me.

But yeah I came here anyway.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,054,152 times
Oh I thought of another negative.

I find the number of young cigarette smokers very stunning.

I just didn't see anything like that in Texas. Depressing. And butts everywhere.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM

63 posts, read 100,609 times
Hi Watchful -- Wow! Thanks again for taking so much time posting this information. It is SO very helpful.

My husband and I grew up in California (went to jr. and high school together!) so this is "home" to us. Unfortunately, there are SO many people, and traffic, and high prices - and we live in the Sacramento suburbs which is a little more affordable that many places in CA. Our eldest son is 26 and living in the Bay Area and barely surviving. That said, we have this sense that Roanoke is where we need to be permanently. I have always wanted to live there, for whatever reason and on a whim, started to check it out.

The most important thing to us is to provide an exceptional upbringing for our two youngest and find a place to retire when the time comes. We plan on Roanoke being our forever home. For now, we are looking for a home with a nice basement -- and there are TONS in Roanoke - almost the norm I would say -- you don't find that in CA. Our 23-year-old has not "launched" so we plan on her living in a guest area of the house with kitchenette, bathroom, etc., and SHE will be the one responsible for taking care of it, do all repairs or calling for service. That way, she will have experience when she leaves the house. Then it will transfer to the next child, and so on. VT is not far away, so that's perfect.

I understand what you mean about Anglo underclass. There was a great deal of that in Mississippi and also here in CA. Like you said, the diversity is interesting and my husband and I relate to just about anyone (except those who are racist). I REALLY couldn't stand it in Mississippi.

I was in Katrina and so sorry - you (Houston) got all of our evacuees! :-) And you're right... just like Houston, the humidity there and in Mississippi was unlivable. No seasons, no cool down at nights, and lots of tropical storms and hurricanes (that brought tornados). No thanks.

We're definitely not Baptist - lean more towards Presbyterian (USA). What we're looking for is a really strong youth group. Our family is an avid Scouting family and we place a lot of emphasis on community service. They love it and we believe it's important for them to foster the giving spirit and be able to speak to a CEO the same way they would speak to homeless person. We have a therapy dog (Yorkie) and we visit pediatric oncology kids where our little cutie is a star. We'll definitely come and visit your church, if only to say hello.

Food - I WILL miss the variety of food. One thing I'm hoping for is an authentic CA style mexican food restaurant - not Tex Mex. I call Whole Foods Whole Paycheck so that's no loss. :-) Excited about the farmers market. Sacramento is a huge farm to fork community and I would hate to leave that atmosphere. I love to cook so much so that we don't eat out too much.

Airfare - I noticed the cost. Our companies pay for travel but for the many times we'll be visiting FL and my in-laws, it will be the same as it is here (Sac to FL is usually about $500). Driving to other airports is an option, so thanks for that idea!

We are Costco snobs as well. Saves us a bunch of money with a big family and 4 critters! Sams Club is OK but we'll start adding our two cents to Costco to open a location in Roanoke.

We are SO excited! Hope to arrive by the end of October but it depends on finances. It's not an "if," just a matter of "when."

Thanks again for sharing! I read many of your previous posts. VERY helpful!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Plenty of places elsewhere for that debate but coming here from elsewhere it definitely leaves a negative taste for me.

But yeah I came here anyway.

That's a bummer. We're all non smokers and I'm actually allergic to it. Are the restaurants smoke-free. One good thing about Cali.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post

And I think Mississippi is on par with Houston. Felt like I had a wet pillow over my face most of the time. As long as you can move from a/c to a/c it's fine but forget about outdoor activity.

We had a runner nearby who was doing his normal run every day. He tripped and rolled off the shoulder of the road into a huge mound of fire ants. He must have also hit his head because he died, they say a mixture of heat stroke and the fire venom.

How bad ARE fire ants there, if at all?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Agreed - Watchful is a city-data rockstar!

I was teasing you about the humidity - I am from DC which was built on a swamp (as we are all reminded during every political campaign!) so objectively it really isn't bad here - I am growing less tolerant of it as I grow older though! (Also, I missed a "b" when I typed out your name - sorry about that!)

Watchful, check out Cuban Island on Williamson Road if you haven't yet. Good stuff!

We CANNOT WAIT to make many trips to the DC area and basically all up and down the eastern seaboard. Any insight you can share would be awesome! Recommended first stops? Our entire family loves studying WWII so anything having to do with that will definitely be on our list. Our youngest son just turned 10 and did a huge research paper on NY so he can't wait to get there!

Political swamp... isn't THAT the truth! UGH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area