U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:53 PM

165 posts, read 129,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Thanks for the report, RC Guy! We're planning to take it to Philadelphia soon - it's the only city on the route where we don't have people or roots so it's a trip that wouldn't get taken at all otherwise.

I love Union Station! My destinations are on the Red Line though.
Glad to hear you're taking the train to Philly. 30th Street Station in Philadelphia is still primarily a train station (and not mostly a shopping mall like Union Station in DC has become). Finished in 1934, 30th Street Station is the last truly grand train station built in this country with an enormous interior waiting room that is simply awe inspiring.

Your AMTRAK ticket will get you a free trip on SEPTA regional rail to two stops in downtown (Center City) Philadelphia. The first is Suburban Station (City Hall) and the second is Jefferson Station (Reading Terminal Market). There is a separate SEPTA station inside and above 30th St. Station. Check with the Visitor's Kiosk for further info.

If you wish to see the Liberty Bell and other historic sights, enter the subway station at 30th & Market Sts. and take the Market-Frankfort Line to 5th and Market Sts. then walk one block west to the Independence National Historical Park's Visitor Center at 6th & Market. Free tickets for a tour of Independence Hall are distributed there (first come, first served).

Hope you have a great trip!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:08 PM

880 posts, read 1,817,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Tourist draws are only a small portion of it. And Bedford has plenty enough of "amenities as well as an infrastructure" to handle it.

The main reason for the Stop is for locals to have a better place to get on and off. As well as for it to attract more riders. I mentioned Bedford County, Franklin County and Smith Mt Lake. The Bedford Stop may just be the incentive needed to attract more riders from those areas. As they may just otherwise find a different means to travel.

Both of the above points together will Boost the Local Economy which by the way, isn't that one of the biggest reasons for it to finally go to Roanoke?

Why deny Bedford the same?

With it going right though the place to boot ??

Is the 5 minute Stop that painful ??

Just doesn't make enough sense for it not to stop.
Infrastructure: Train station, bus system, taxi services (most service comes from Lyn or Rke)
Amenities: Lodging, decent late night restaurants, entertainment

Not to disregard Bedford, but with this reasoning, every town with cool things to see needs a train stop. Where does the money come from to develop the infrastructure and what is the tipping point in the way of opportunity cost when the trip takes longer and longer? A high percentage of County residents also live in close proximity to either Rke or Lyn; they certainly would drive to a larger station closer to home than head out to Bedford. Lastly, one of the major reasons this train was extended to Lynchburg was to alleviate commuter traffic on US 29 and provide alternatives to road travel. If there had been a wye in Charlottesville, it would have stopped there and never even made it to Lynchburg. The second train in the budget for next year is directly tied to agreements made when the state nixed the bypass around Charlottesville. That said, any economic boost was secondary to providing multiple modes of travel. I love Bedford (my dad lives there) but I don't think we should water down the service by including every small town on the route (and there are several that would have a better argument than Bedford). A better target would be some kind of transit connectivity between Bedford and its two larger neighbors- JAUNT would be a good model.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 621,408 times
Like I stated, Bedford's Infrastructure would be and is plenty good enough to do a sufficient job.

Also, with it implemented, it would have room to grow, the main idea of my point of an Economy Boost.

But then again, the main focus is the Locals, not the Tourist. Tourist activity would just be an additional contribution to the cause.

You mentioned a bus or "some kind of transit" from Bedford. With that philosophy and if it's such a good idea, then why not a Bus from Roanoke too. Wait a minute, that's what they had!! And people fought for years to change it!!

To look at it another way, let's think of the savings of having the Stop. Without it people would need to travel to Roanoke or Lynchburg to get the train. It would probably be about half and half. Half would travel by Car, half by Bus (if there is one). In Car travel, that would be at least an average of 1/2 Hour of travel, one way. Back home would be, obviously, 1 Hour. If someone were to drop off their passengers and travel back home, when time to go get them again, now we are talking 2 hours total. Look at all the fuel savings and traffic congestion that would be reduced.

Now for the Bus, I doubt it would be profitable. Now who pays for that? More inefficiency.

The whole bottom line is, I would agree if the Railroad had to build new tracks and swing the route out of it's way, but as stated, the train goes right through the town anyway.

Now in all fairness, when you mentioned "and there are several that would have a better argument than Bedford", what would be some good examples? (Has to be a town at least as big as Bedford, has to have the tracks already going right through the town and has to have another station more than 1/2 hour away).

Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Like I stated, Bedford's Infrastructure would be and is plenty good enough to do a sufficient job.

Also, with it implemented, it would have room to grow, the main idea of my point of an Economy Boost.

But then again, the main focus is the Locals, not the Tourist. Tourist activity would just be an additional contribution to the cause.

You mentioned a bus or "some kind of transit" from Bedford. With that philosophy and if it's such a good idea, then why not a Bus from Roanoke too. Wait a minute, that's what they had!! And people fought for years to change it!!

To look at it another way, let's think of the savings of having the Stop. Without it people would need to travel to Roanoke or Lynchburg to get the train. It would probably be about half and half. Half would travel by Car, half by Bus (if there is one). In Car travel, that would be at least an average of 1/2 Hour of travel, one way. Back home would be, obviously, 1 Hour. If someone were to drop off their passengers and travel back home, when time to go get them again, now we are talking 2 hours total. Look at all the fuel savings and traffic congestion that would be reduced.

Now for the Bus, I doubt it would be profitable. Now who pays for that? More inefficiency.

The whole bottom line is, I would agree if the Railroad had to build new tracks and swing the route out of it's way, but as stated, the train goes right through the town anyway.

Now in all fairness, when you mentioned "and there are several that would have a better argument than Bedford", what would be some good examples? (Has to be a town at least as big as Bedford, has to have the tracks already going right through the town and has to have another station more than 1/2 hour away).
Orange, Warrenton. Both have people who actually commute to DC. Name any small town on the corriror between NY and DC, and they would have a stronger argument, as well. Bus or transit connectivity to both Rke and Lyn would serve Bedford better than anything else. A train stop won't happen anytime soon, either way. You should read up on the hoops the state jumped through and the money they have given NS to make Rke happen (& the stretch to Lyn is still subpar). I just don't think they will pony up money where there is little need.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:05 AM

Well time will tell.

Also want to add that this 5 Minute Stop would only be a minor inconvenience (if you can even call it that) for Roanoke passengers only, to and from Roanoke. Probably nothing worse than 2 Red Lights worth in the Bus that used to make the run.

In the meantime for those who would like to see it implemented, here is a petition to sign, sponsored by both the Bedford and Smith Mt Lake Chamber of Commerce:

Petition

Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well time will tell.

Also want to add that this 5 Minute Stop would only be a minor inconvenience (if you can even call it that) for Roanoke passengers only, to and from Roanoke. Probably nothing worse than 2 Red Lights worth in the Bus that used to make the run.

In the meantime for those who would like to see it implemented, here is a petition to sign, sponsored by both the Bedford and Smith Mt Lake Chamber of Commerce:

Petition
They could have the train leave 5 minutes earlier; probably would be the only option as the timetable north of DC is pretty rigid.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 PM

65 posts, read 45,981 times
I travel to DC frequently and if the train stops at Bedford I will drive to Lynchburg and park free, plus Lynchburg has more train
options for connections to Richmond and beyond. After 40 years of getting train service to Roanoke I can't believe Amtrak
would want this train to be more uncomfortable for Roanoke passengers. The ride from Lynchburg to Roanoke is very very slow
bumpy and winding. I believe I could drive it faster but at 9pm I dont feel like getting off in Lynchburg and driving to Roanoke.
Its still great Roanoke has service and before it adds Bedford or Hooterville Amtrak needs track improvements which is a
long shot anytime soon.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Almost sounds like some of you all wish the Bus to Lynchburg and back was still in service.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
They could have the train leave 5 minutes earlier; probably would be the only option as the timetable north of DC is pretty rigid.
I was thinking the same thing. Also that way they wouldn't have to change all the current time schedules as well.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,959,679 times
Yesterday's R-Times had an update on the hoped-for Amtrak station and why it may take a while...

Roanoke mulls ideas for train and bus center | Business | roanoke.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area