U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Virginia: college educated, taxes, homeschooling, traffic, teacher, job market.

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM

77 posts, read 165,206 times
SW Virginia would seem to be a great fit for you. The housing prices are in your range, and the general attitude of the people is friendly and helpful. There is a good mix of conservative types and liberals, but the govt. side of things leans to the right.
I live in Staunton, like the previous poster. There is a small private college here which may offer you employment in religious studies? There are so many towns in this area which have colleges/universities/seminary schools. You should check them out online. I would avoid NOVA, Richmond, and probably Va Beach areas if you are looking for a small community feel of church goers. Just my opinion, but those areas seem more spread out and/or liberal. Good Luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-02-2008, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 20,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbagz21 View Post
Ok a little background about me before I answer. I've lived all over but I grew up mainly in the Norfolk/VA Beach/Newport News area of Virginia, in many ways a large amount of us dont consider ourselves southern (at least culturally), were in our own little world, this probably has to do with a century of 7+ military bases stationed here, with Norfolk naval being the largest naval base in the world. Richmond and the Northern Virginia area are have their own personalities as well. Overall speaking western VA is sooooo different then central, north and east. I went to ministry school for two years in Roanoke, VA but traveled extensively throughout the U.S. mainly in the South and Mid-Atlantic on a weekly basis. I finished school in TN close to Chattanooga and the GA border. When I was there I took many trips to GA. Ok, with all this being said here I go :-)

Regarding North Carolina: I don't know where you heard about the lack of jobs from, but 2 of the most booming areas in the U.S. right now are most definitely the Raleigh and Charlotte areas. So keep this in mind. CensusScope -- Demographic Maps: Population Change, 1990-2000 the two bright green dots in NC are these areas. Your source about ATL was right, it isn't a good indicator of the rest of GA but north & north east of ATL are very nice I might add, so you could give it a look. If you say SC is too humid, then obviously anything below that would be even worse, When I lived in South GA I was constantly sweating lol. As for the country music, the umtillion hours I've driven through ALL of the south there wasnt one time I didn't have access to a country station, so your good there :-)As for Kentucky, they have some of the worst poverty levels out there (eastern section) When referring to the culture clashes thats just something you'd have to see for yourself. Many southerners would more than likely open up very well to a Yankee who wishes he/she was southern, they're probably always tired of being made fun of or degraded by the typical Yankee attitude towards them, this will probably be a refreshing attitude. Another politically incorrect subject I'll bring up is the racial demographics. I'm used to living in a mostly black area of Virginia and going to mostly black schools so it's not a shocker to me, but...I know Maine isn't known for it's diversity should I say so it would be a big shocker to you. With that link I added you can also view racial demographics & many other topics so give them a look. I am in no way being the stereotypical "racist" this society is sooo afraid of being labeled but to not act as though this is a very relevant topic for moving to a guy from Maine would be ignorant. Also, however you saw African-Americans acting in Maine, just know it's completely different in many parts of the south. For in depth info on potential relocation cities just check city-data, they have great stats as you very well may know. Hope I helped
Well, that's what these boards are for...info from a variety of sources...I spent some time in SE VA when I was in the military (Yorktown) so I am familiar with the area somewhat. I appreciate your willingness to address the race issue because it does have to do with quality of life, for any race. Like anyone else, I have had positive and negative experiences with all races and I am sure other races would say the same. I try to lean toward MLK's view when he said we should judge each other by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. Having said that, as you said, Maine is not the most racially diverse state in the country, or New England as a whole for that matter and, unfortunately, the majority of my experience with African-Americans in New England have been negative ones. I want to say emphatically that that has not been my experience as a whole. I served in the military with first-rate African-Americans. Perhaps the NE area attracts certain types of Afro-Amer, mainly those who want to sell drugs and collect welfare, although all races possess these types. I personally am not a racist man but I also don't want to be tagged a racist simply because I am white, something that happened to me on a Boston subway recently. These are the kind of race relations that concern me. Obviously, it is difficult to live in an area of the country where the relations are adversial simply because of skin tone. How prevalent is that? Thanks for the info on Raleigh/Charlotte...I may check into that. I was looking at east TN...Any info on that? Thanks!

Unread 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
SW Virginia would seem to be a great fit for you. The housing prices are in your range, and the general attitude of the people is friendly and helpful. There is a good mix of conservative types and liberals, but the govt. side of things leans to the right.
I live in Staunton, like the previous poster. There is a small private college here which may offer you employment in religious studies? There are so many towns in this area which have colleges/universities/seminary schools. You should check them out online. I would avoid NOVA, Richmond, and probably Va Beach areas if you are looking for a small community feel of church goers. Just my opinion, but those areas seem more spread out and/or liberal. Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply...Can you tell me where the "line" is that separates NOVA from the SOVA? I have heard that NOVA really takes on a Washington elitist feel and I really want to avoid that. Also, how are the religious grammar/middle/high schools as far as teaching opportunities? I like that gov't leans to the right. It seems Maine always wants to answer problems with the latest liberal solution to come down the road, usually higher taxes, and would be refreshing to live where government is not always the answer to every problem.

Unread 04-03-2008, 05:58 AM

It's hard to say where the "line" would be... so many people commute north these days. I would say that Winchester and Front Royal still have a small town feel, but are close enough to commute and many who live in those areas work in D.C.
Strictly speaking about towns along 81 (mountain towns) I would say that Harrisonburg, Staunton, Lexington, Roanoke, Lynchburg.... all would be great. They are small and have a community feel. Of course each has it's good and bad - you would want to check that out before moving. I am not sure about teaching opportunities, but there are many colleges in those areas. If you have made up your mind to teach at a more religious/seminary school you should check out Liberty in Lynchburg. There is also a predominantly Mormon college in Buena Vista near Lexington.
As far as the political climate - this entire area seems to be more conservative (but that is my perception... I am more middle of the road with liberal leanings). If you research each of these areas on this forum you will get TONS of info about this. Some folks have complained that in a town like Lynchburg it's hard to find a job if you are not a from the area or a "good ol' boy"... I have not idea if this is true, but I can believe it. Some southern folks just like to stick to their own. It can seem backwards to someone from the outside, but it sounds like you are very qualified and would not have a hard time finding a job in the academic world where people actually like a fresh perspective!
This is a wonderful area for families and I am so glad that I moved here. It's beautiful with lots of outdoor things to do.
Some of the colleges in SW Virginia:

Eastern Mennonite University - Bridgewater
Ferrum - Ferrum
Hollins - Roanoke
James Madison University - Harrisonburg
Liberty University - Lynchburg
Mary Baldwin College - Staunton
Randolph-Macon Womens College - Lynchburg
Sweet Briar College - Sweet Briar
Virginia Military Institute - Lexington
Washington and Lee Universtity - Lexington
Southern Virginia University (primarily Mormon) - Buena Vista

Hope this helps!

Unread 04-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
It's hard to say where the "line" would be... so many people commute north these days. I would say that Winchester and Front Royal still have a small town feel, but are close enough to commute and many who live in those areas work in D.C.
Strictly speaking about towns along 81 (mountain towns) I would say that Harrisonburg, Staunton, Lexington, Roanoke, Lynchburg.... all would be great. They are small and have a community feel. Of course each has it's good and bad - you would want to check that out before moving. I am not sure about teaching opportunities, but there are many colleges in those areas. If you have made up your mind to teach at a more religious/seminary school you should check out Liberty in Lynchburg. There is also a predominantly Mormon college in Buena Vista near Lexington.
As far as the political climate - this entire area seems to be more conservative (but that is my perception... I am more middle of the road with liberal leanings). If you research each of these areas on this forum you will get TONS of info about this. Some folks have complained that in a town like Lynchburg it's hard to find a job if you are not a from the area or a "good ol' boy"... I have not idea if this is true, but I can believe it. Some southern folks just like to stick to their own. It can seem backwards to someone from the outside, but it sounds like you are very qualified and would not have a hard time finding a job in the academic world where people actually like a fresh perspective!
This is a wonderful area for families and I am so glad that I moved here. It's beautiful with lots of outdoor things to do.
Some of the colleges in SW Virginia:

Eastern Mennonite University - Bridgewater
Ferrum - Ferrum
Hollins - Roanoke
James Madison University - Harrisonburg
Liberty University - Lynchburg
Mary Baldwin College - Staunton
Randolph-Macon Womens College - Lynchburg
Sweet Briar College - Sweet Briar
Virginia Military Institute - Lexington
Washington and Lee Universtity - Lexington
Southern Virginia University (primarily Mormon) - Buena Vista

Hope this helps!
It's OK that you lean liberal...This is great info...Thanks for your help! I had been checking out the Lexington area, too.

Unread 04-03-2008, 06:39 AM

Someone in another thread was asking about the general feel of Staunton - is it accepting of alternative lifestyles - etc.
Speaking ONLY of Staunton (because this is where I live and know best)- it's still the south, and the government is conservative, and the general feel is that the folks who have conservative beliefs are kind and tolerant of others.
I went to MBC over 10 years ago and the town has grown SO MUCH since then, and with that you have influx of different people/idea/beliefs/etc. So, even though it seems more "progressive", it's still a small southern town.

Unread 04-03-2008, 06:46 AM

28 posts, read 64,193 times
To answer your East TN question, Knoxville metro would probably be the area there that would be your employer base, however I went to school at Lee University which is a Christian centered liberal arts school in Southeast TN. You might wanna check this school out, they are great beacuse they hire from all over the U.S., not just from a local pool of people as a previous poster suggested (btw the school is beautiful). The NOVA question: Recently Fredericksburg has begun to be considered DC metro. Anything south of that and your pretty safe (for what you seem to be looking for), however the southern feel you seek (at least in Virginia) is going to lean more to the western side of the state. A previous poster mentioned Liberty University, this is a great suggestion as well. If you go to the website you can get biographies of the faculty, and you'll see that most of them aren't even from VA. Once again I hope I helped.

Unread 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM

38 posts, read 69,967 times
i would go in the central shenandoah valley. a.k.a Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta County because the summers aren't to hot and the winters aren't freezing! You also aren't in the big city and the housing prices are very affordable being around 200K give or take. Even though that will be at the top of your target price you won't regret it! Staunton has a mall and many restaurants and an awesome downtown! While waynesboro has a brand new towne center and many restuarants too! It is along the I-81 corridor and is an hour away from Roanoke and 30 minutes away from Charlottesville. Augusta County is your best bet because its more laid back and both cities of Staunton and Waynesboro are in the county! If schools would ever be an issue Augusta County is the way to go! Also Staunton is very diverse!

Unread 07-20-2008, 09:56 PM

109 posts, read 254,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRebel View Post
Had I lived in 1860, I would have been a Confederate, hence my ID name (and no, it would not have been because I approve of slavery but understand there were many more issues in the War Between the States than just that one, even if that's all we read in history books)
A confederate if you would have lived in 1860? Oh yeah, you'd fit in just fine in South West Va. I'm a liberal, Democrat supporting Yankee looking to leave. They are way too conservative, religious, pro-gun, etc. for my tastes here. This would probably be a Utopia for you. Pack up the family and move, you would feel right at home. If I have lived in 1860...well, I guess its good we live here and now

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM

56 posts, read 50,640 times
My family and I are relocating from the midwest. We consider ourselves to be a conservative,baptist,and educated family as well. I have posted request in several areas, but could use any additional suggestions on small and quaint VA towns within an hour and a half commute from southern PA, where my husband is working. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area