Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,421,218 times

Advertisements

We're in SW Roanoke and my son's girlfriend is in Vinton. He's there in 15 minutes on a moped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
Another question here: I just recently accepted a job in Roanoke. I am a recent college grad with no kids or pets and I'm looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment/duplex in a nice area. It doesn't have to be over the top, but I don't want to worry about ending up in the "ghetto" (I have seen some nice "looking" apartments, only to read reviews about riff raff and police visits every night). Anyone have any thoughts about the best/worst apartment complexes?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM

363 posts, read 553,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itslaurxo View Post
Another question here: I just recently accepted a job in Roanoke. I am a recent college grad with no kids or pets and I'm looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment/duplex in a nice area. It doesn't have to be over the top, but I don't want to worry about ending up in the "ghetto" (I have seen some nice "looking" apartments, only to read reviews about riff raff and police visits every night). Anyone have any thoughts about the best/worst apartment complexes?

Are looking to be downtown? In a "suburb"? What would you need near by? There is about 4 different complexes under construction/just opening. (not counting all the apartments downtown). With another larger one (about 500 units) coming in the next couple years along 460.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,238,871 times
Hi I thought I'd jump into this thread to get a better understanding of Vinton. There appears to be moderately priced homes, our budget is $150,000 and under in today's dollars (we are moving in about 8 years to retire). Is Vinton very crowded? Would a $140,000 home I see online sit really close to the house next door with a 1/4 acre chain link fenced lot?

I see one house listed at $139,000 with taxes of $600 http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...67-45621?row=5

The next house I see is listed at $146,000 and has property taxes of $1,500 http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...28-58713?row=7

What's up with that?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM

I wouldnt call Vinton crowded. However that is a matter of opinion. Would the house beside it be close? Maybe in a suburb type of way. The taxes I believe are based on assessed value of the home not the listed price.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
I wouldnt call Vinton crowded. However that is a matter of opinion. Would the house beside it be close? Maybe in a suburb type of way. The taxes I believe are based on assessed value of the home not the listed price.
I agree they base taxes on assessment. But with listed prices about the same how can one be assessed at nearly 3 times the value of the other one?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I agree they base taxes on assessment. But with listed prices about the same how can one be assessed at nearly 3 times the value of the other one?
One is listed bedford county while the other is listed Roanoke county.

Roanoke County real estate tax is $1..09 per $100.00 assessed.

Bedford County real estate tax is $0.52 per $100.00 assessed.

So the $143,500 is about $1,564.15 and the 139,500 is about $725.40.

Bedford is much more rural than Roanoke county so there is less tax, but at the same time you have further to drive for food and entertainment. You obviously pay more the closer you are to urban advantages.

Links:

Roanoke County, VA - Official Website - Tax Information

Bedford County

Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 18,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itslaurxo View Post
I had a studio at the Patrick Henry Hotel (not really a hotel don't so let the name put you off) and it was amazing. It's an old historic building downtown that's been fully renovated. The Ponce de Leon (also an old historic hotel) is another place you could look at for nice studios in the downtown area. They just finished a huge multi-million dollar renovation there as well. Either one of those will put you in walking distance of pretty much everything there is to do in Roanoke. The Cotton Mill, The River House, and Parkway 301 are also all very nice options for studios downtown. Roanoke has gone through a bit of renaissance in terms of urban living with multiple up-scale apartment buildings geared towards younger people. You don't mention your budget but with any of those buildings your looking at 550-650 a month in rent. If that is too much then I would definitely recommend renting in a neighborhood. The Grandin Village area and most of Historic Old Southwest has homes to rent, town houses, duplexes, etc. for great prices and you're still only 4-5 minutes from everything downtown. I live in Old SW now and I constantly see for rent signs in front of very nice looking homes and have friends who have rented here and enjoyed it.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
One is listed bedford county while the other is listed Roanoke county.

Roanoke County real estate tax is $1..09 per $100.00 assessed.

Bedford County real estate tax is $0.52 per $100.00 assessed.

So the $143,500 is about $1,564.15 and the 139,500 is about $725.40.

Bedford is much more rural than Roanoke county so there is less tax, but at the same time you have further to drive for food and entertainment. You obviously pay more the closer you are to urban advantages.

Links:

Roanoke County, VA - Official Website - Tax Information

Bedford County

Thanks, I figured it would be a tax rate thing. I'm staying out of Roanoke county if I can help it.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks, I figured it would be a tax rate thing. I'm staying out of Roanoke county if I can help it.
No problem. If you want to stay out for tax reasons I understand, but at the same time do not completely shut it out. Roanoke county has some of the nicest areas to live in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area