U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

Looking at a move with three children. Foremost amongst priorities for us is schools; it seems that there are some very good schools around the city. But is there a best of best? Our needs run quite the spectrum. Oldest child has Down Syndrome and other one in school is exceptional; both going into second grade. Youngest if 4 years old.

Is there an elementary school/district that is best regarded? Looking for 4 bedrooms; budget is around 675,000. Why are so many of the houses in the price range so massive? Looking for high finishes; not just a cavernous building. Cant imagine dealing with more than 3000 or so square feet. Coming from costal community where square footage costs are 250- 300; we live well in 2500 square feet presently. Some variety of a view would be nice. Cheers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM

1,772 posts, read 2,781,461 times
If you are looking for the least square footage for the money (!!!) maybe South Roanoke (24014) where Crystal Spring Elementary is definitely the highest regarded elementary school in Roanoke City. Middle school and high school for this area are much more diverse, so there are those who will lean to Roanoke County - and the elementary schools in the southern suburban part of the county would be the most highly regarded - like probably Cave Spring Elementary and Penn Forest Elementary. Others might know more about the relative benefits of the various campuses. Salem City schools are pretty well regarded across the board and I am not sure about the ups and downs.

As far as why the 675K houses are so big - that would be because costs are so much lower!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Most, if not all, of the Cave Spring and Penn Forest Elementary zone will fall in the 24018 zip.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,815 times
Ski Nashville,

You said it perfectly. I’ve been looking for months for the sane thing. Up to 3000 sf and high quality and am having a very frustrating time finding a home like this. I’ve been looking in the Roanoke and Salem areas. Good luck to you!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM

So Ski and CityGirl.....I wanna make sure I understand.

You prefer a higher price range (I suppose because you are selling one house in a higher priced area and then want to buy one in the Roanoke area).

The frustration is that anything in the desired price range is really way too big. And anything in the desired size range is underpriced.

Well (just a joke here) you could overbid the asking price for the house you actually want haha!

It would be great if you could search using price per square foot. There is actually a discussion about this on City Data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...uare-foot.html

Maybe someone else has a better idea but my thoughts would be to either search the more expensive properties in 24014 - as to my understanding this is where you might get the least bang for the buck sizewise!

OR maybe some of the nicer houses in 24018 that are farther out would have an appropriately sized house on a larger piece of land that would wind up increasing the price for ya!

OR you could build a custom house with all the bells and whistles maybe?!?!

Actually the highest price per square foot would be the condos downtown I think.

Good luck, and hope others will chime in!

Last edited by Watchful; 08-08-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM

2,348 posts, read 803,817 times
Needless to say, you get a lot of house for your money here so it’s really a good thing if you have a higher budget and not looking for a huge home, you do have viable options.

As Watchful has mentioned, you can certainly purchase a builable lot in a desirable area and build the new cact house that would suit your needs and desires. From an energy and efficiency standpoint, you could be on the cutting edge.

Another option would be to buy an older home in a high end area, hire an architect and re-do the entire house to your specific specifications. This way you get a developed piece of property, know what homes are adjacent to you, etc. I believe you also benefit tax wise since as long as you leave one wall or so, it’s classified as a remodel or alteration, but I would verify this to ensure it’s correct. That being said, taxes are not a huge concern here in this area.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 AM

468 posts, read 454,768 times
In the city you also have Grandin Court Elementary which feeds out well.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,140 times
thanks everyone for suggestions. Seems clear that city school are not a good option after elementary school. I think that the bottom line is that while real estate is a good buy on a per square foot basis; it comes with needing some updating. Even newer builds are often outfitted without inset lighting, have builders grade fixtures and cabinets, lower ceilings, and are carpeted.

I am not looking for 5000+ square feet. Just want the "niceties" of our current home. Might be fun to build

Old 08-09-2018, 03:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 803,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_Nashville View Post
thanks everyone for suggestions. Seems clear that city school are not a good option after elementary school. I think that the bottom line is that while real estate is a good buy on a per square foot basis; it comes with needing some updating. Even newer builds are often outfitted without inset lighting, have builders grade fixtures and cabinets, lower ceilings, and are carpeted.

I am not looking for 5000+ square feet. Just want the "niceties" of our current home. Might be fun to build
Nothing can come close to a custom built home as long as specify all that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or