Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM

111 posts, read 98,238 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? *HOPING for summer-fall of 2019

Where are you coming from? *North East Pennsylvania

Why are you moving?
*Warmer weather, better outdoor activities, better economy, more thriving state

Where will you be working?
*I work from home, my husband works for Comcast/Xfinity. We are hoping to be able to transfer his job to the local area

Have you been here ?
*No, but will be making some weekend trips to look around.

Will you buy or rent?
*Would like to buy ASAP, would rather avoid renting because we have dogs and it is hard to find reasonable rentals. They are essentially our kids as we don't have children.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo?
*House with decent sized yard, and space between neighbors (hoping for .25.50 acres)

How much can you spend? *Preferably a nice house under 200k (would truly like to be well under that, but I know cost of living differs)

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?
*if we absolutely HAVE to rent- Would prefer to rent a house, ok with an apartment that is dog friendly.

How much can you spend? *I’m honestly not sure what a reasonable amount is for an apartment with two dogs. We’ve owned our home the last 7 yrs. I’m hoping under $1,000.00,Hopefully less than $1500<—some utilities included.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
*a walk up

Are you married or single? *Married

Do you have children?
*no

Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A

Do you have pets?
*Yes, 2 well trained mixed pittbull breed medium sized dogs. 5-6 yrs old

Do you want or need a yard? *Yes.

Are you keeping a car?
*Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
*Calm and quiet, but within a reasonable distance to the bustle.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Some fun things to do, not into the “party” scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 12:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,424,979 times
Daleville in Botetourt County will hit the mark for you as far as space and quiet. 20 minutes to downtown Roanoke. Shentel recently expanded into that area so may have jobs.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 PM

15,127 posts, read 27,651,175 times
OP, you really need to read the threads, do your own research, visit, etc. before throwing out diff. locations and asking for "lots of details"

Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Thanks flamingo, I have done all of that; but I still prefer to get the opinion of people who actively live there or have recently relocated as well. Thanks :-)

Old 11-24-2018, 04:29 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,205,379 times
Under 200K - you will find more options in the City of Roanoke. The city seems to be the least desirable place to live in this area judged on the number of folks who commute into the city for work. I live in SW and like the City of Roanoke. Though there are a few areas of the city that I personally would not feel safe living in, overall Roanoke is a good place to live. I wish our Realtor had shown us homes throughout the city but she steered us to SW. Our money would have gotten us a much nicer home in SE than in SW.

Comcast is available in Salem. Cox covers the city of Roanoke. Cox's guaranteed price is worthless. They are a company with horrible customer services and their cable service sucked. We are Caps fans. Too many times the sound came through, but the picture was frozen. The box was constantly having to be reset.

Botetourt County seems to be a popular and more expensive place to buy real estate. Salem and Roanoke County are also more expensive than the city.

The home inspector we used was BAD. We may have been paying him, but he seemed to be working for the seller and the realtors. Be careful who you use.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:56 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,034,318 times
I'm not sure if you are targeting Roanoke or the larger general area - but as I read what you posted, the Garden City area of Roanoke immediately came to mind - it is within the city limits but is somewhat semi-rural in nature. The Clearbrook and Mount Pleasant areas of Roanoke County are adjacent - and also worth checking out.

All of these fall within 24014 and you can get pretty good bang for the buck - and you will have more luck in finding a little larger lots than if you were to look within the areas that were developed as subdivisions.

24014 is a really interesting zip because it also includes the very upscale city neighborhoods of South Roanoke! Garden City is the "other side of the mountain" - literally!

So just do a search on Zillow or your preferred housing search engine using 24014 and you will see how the prices run.

The schools in Garden City (city) aren't quite as popular as those in Mount Pleasant/Clearbrook - but that also means you might find it easier to find affordable property.

There are PLENTY of other options besides 24014 - that's just the one I know the most about.

We are actually moving from Mount Pleasant to Daleville (in Botetourt County). However I know Botetourt has been noted for having a lack of affordable housing - so that might be hard to find the right place or it might be overpriced. But still you might check the zips 24083 (Daleville) and 24175 (Troutville).

Good luck and feel free to post more after you have scoped things out!

Old 11-24-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
The city seems to be the least desirable place to live in this area judged on the number of folks who commute into the city for work.
I would disagree just a bit here with my buddy TN Lily!

There are definitely folks who prefer "county" over "city" based on several factors, including a more "desirable" (based on economics) demographic in the schools. OTOH there are several city neighborhoods that are highly desirable for those whose criteria are much different.

We looked and looked and looked in Roanoke City but the neighborhoods we loved generally had much older housing stock - and we decided for newer construction that is mostly one-level living (in planning for the uncertainties of future health changes - as we are in our sixties). But otherwise I would have clearly preferred the neighborhoods in Roanoke City!

Old 11-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
There are definitely folks who prefer "county" over "city" based on several factors, including a more "desirable" (based on economics) demographic in the schools. OTOH there are several city neighborhoods that are highly desirable for those whose criteria are much different.
I would put it this way - those looking for the "burbs" will lean county and those looking for the "urbs" will lean city!

I would also add that the Salem zip code (24153) includes not just the City of Salem but also the surrounding areas of Roanoke County that are part of the Glenvar High School zone - this could also be a good place to look for some houses with a little more space for you and the dogs....and would be a good location for work if spousey connects to Comcast in Salem.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:38 AM

Thank you everyone! The majority of your posts have been very detailed and I greatly appreciate that! Once we return home from holiday travel I’m going to research all of your suggestions! Im going to try to plan some trips for us in the next few months, hoping winter will be nice to us

Old 11-26-2018, 04:29 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,205,379 times
Wikipedia has a page listing and briefly describing the neighborhoods in the City of Roanoke:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...noke,_Virginia

The City's website also has neighborhood pages: https://www.roanokeva.gov/1198/Links-to-Neighborhoods

Some of the neighborhoods have watch groups and/or Facebook pages.

Here's a website for SE Roanoke: Home

Watchful, the impression I have is that the school system in the City of Roanoke is deemed undesirable by many of those who chose to live in one of the counties.

Garden City is unique. https://web.archive.org/web/20080907...JBSPM551RLAREN

Garden City is a suburb annexed into the city. I believe its elementary school has had issues with accreditation in the past. Good luck OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area