U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
j1n

1,202 posts, read 2,883,036 times

Advertisements

hey happygal0000...
I'm not going to say that I'm happy to see others having some of the same experiences and observations as mine, but I am happy to know that I'm not the only one seeing this stuff! Good post.

I followed some of those links posted...looking at things I was interested in. Most are private yahoo groups that you can't get an info on unless you join them! How do I know if I want to join your group if I can't get any info on it? How do I make an informed decision or know if I agree with your ideas if I don't get info up front? Why would I willingly give up my email address to something I am not even allowed to be aware of? And why in the world should I have to submit a head shot in order to join an outdoor activities group?

hey headnsouth...
Despite the previous paragraph, I do appreciate the time and effort that you put into compiling and sharing that list of links.

Last edited by j1n; 04-21-2008 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM

108 posts, read 199,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
hey happygal0000...
I'm not going to say that I'm happy to see others having some of the same experiences and observations as mine, but I am happy to know that I'm not the only one seeing this stuff! Good post.

I followed some of those links posted...looking at things I was interested in. Most are private yahoo groups that you can't get an info on unless you join them! How do I know if I want to join your group if I can't get any info on it? How do I make an informed decision or know if I agree with your ideas if I don't get info up front? Why would I willingly give up my email address to something I am not even allowed to be aware of? And why in the world should I have to submit a head shot in order to join an outdoor activities group?

hey headnsouth...
Despite the previous paragraph, I do appreciate the time and effort that you put into compiling and sharing that list of links.
Hahaha! I understand your frustration. However, if you went to any of the other groups that are easier to access, you will meet the same people that belong to the more restricted ones! We are a small "progressive" group here in the valley, so chances are pretty good you can "network" and get an idea whether you like these people and want to try and get into any of the other groups.

happygal

Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,521 times
Default ever been to Blacksburg?

Here's just a thought for those interested in moving to Roanoke:

If you don't *need* to be in Roanoke city or the surrounding counties, depending on your job prospects, you might consider Blacksburg, a little less than an hour away.

My husband and I have lived in the area for about two years now. While it's not heaven, it definitely has a culture that is *significantly* different than the commonly stereotyped "southern" one several posts here have mentioned.

Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech, is a college town (some people call it a small town, but having grown up in a REALLY small town, I tend to disagree; I think it's a medium-sized town). It is, by and large, progressive. Plenty of people here are interested in conservation, recycling, and yes, liberalism, if that's your thing. Like Roanoke, Blacksburg is surrounded by gorgeous blue-peaked mountain ranges and plenty of outdoorsy things to do (as a bonus, you might meet plenty of other folks in town, from students to professors to housewives and househusbands, who will climb the mountains or go biking with you).

The cost of living is quite a bit higher than in Roanoke, but you get the benefit of a great school system where the kids come from all over the world and where parents are very supportive and involved (many of those parents are VT faculty, so I guess the value placed on education makes sense). I don't have children, but I volunteer at one of the local elementary schools and am, by and large, amazed.

But there's plenty to not like about Blacksburg, too. There aren't many jobs here, outside of the university. There are lots and lots and lots of students who love to party hard and generally have a good time - it has a way of making you feel prematurely old (I'm just 26, and already I feel ridiculously "mature" in Blacksburg!). And despite the area's strong conservationist leanings, efforts to prevent a Wal-mart from building in town failed. The big boxes are, sadly, going up beside all the cute mom-and-pops downtown.

But still, it's by and large a good place. Beautiful scenery, educated people, great school system, generally open-minded community, decent public transportation and a laid-back environment where nobody cares if you drive a beat-up fifteen-year-old car or go out to eat wearing holey sneakers.

If you have the luxury of working here but are afraid of that "close-minded" "redneck" culture others are talking about (I don't like to use these labels and stereotypes, but I do understand the fears and concerns folks are referring to), you might consider Blacksburg. Just my two cents.

P.S. There are some folks who live in Blacksburg and commute to Roanoke, although I'd advocate using a carpool and maybe a hybrid! But it can be done, if you're used to doing it. I-81 is a FAR cry better than any of the road systems I dealt with in Hampton Roads or Northern Virginia. So glad to have left those places!!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,407,700 times
I think Blacksburg can be a great place to a goodly number of folks but the cost of living is an issue unless of course you are white collar or only plan on owning a house there for around for 2-5 years. In that case you should be able to get enough equity out of the house to justify the extra up front cost. It's a nice place to live and for that town "feel" you do get some surprisingly nice amenities.

But coming from Vermont, and living in Blacksburg for close to a year I was struck by my own particular experience while in Blacksburg. For a big college town I certainly expected many more cultural events and venues than what we found while living there. I suspect that's because in Vermont, we lived close to Middlebury, home of Middlebury College. Middlebury is a very highly regarded liberal arts and sciences college. Compared to Virginia Tech, Middlebury is very small. Middlebury College is probably 1/0th the size of Tech. But Blacksburg has about 1/10th the amount of cultural and theatre events that Middlebury has. And I'm not just talking high brow cultural stuff. I'm talking music of all kinds, community theater, volunteer civic groups, etc. That's perhaps what colored my experience of Blacksburg? I'm not sure. And I'm sure 99% of the folks in Blacksburg like it just fine the way it is

Sean

Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,041 times
Im from ny also in live in lynchburg for 4yrsnow.i hate it no jobs to small
And I feel ill have a better chance anywhere.i do have a 6yr old girl and want to keep her positive.sw I hrd was good but if anything where else n does anyone know sec8 number out there.Plz help wanna move by june 1st

Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 278 times
My family is thinking of relocating to Roanoke va. Could you help me out. Which areas is good area vs bad areas.
My grandchildren is ages 5 and 2. Looking for best area for them. Also affordable housing n jobs

Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 PM

131 posts, read 77,988 times
How long of a commute is needed? How big of a house/apartment? Suburbs, Downtown or country? Type of job field you want to get into? Some more information would help us greatly in helping you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area