Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NC ( sadly )

Roanoke is right up the street from Greensboro, down 220. And I have a friend who grew up in Staurt I think.

Long story short. Where is a good affordable place to live. That is close to local dives, bars, and stuff that is native to Southwest VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Are you looking for purchase or rental - house or apartment?

If you search on zillow (or something else) 24011 is downtown and is a good spot for apartments if you wanna be within walking distance of nightlife.

Some of the more popular neighborhoods close to downtown are located in the 24015 and 24016 zips (including Raleigh Court, Grandin Village area, Wasena and Old Southwest) - and if you are looking for single family homes that might be a good place to start. 24012 (Williamson Road area) might give you more bang for the buck. Downtown Vinton (24179) is also starting to get a little bit more vibe and may also be worth looking at.

If you want 'burbs you can go north, east, south or west!

Maybe say a little more about what you mean "native to SW Virginia!" GOOD LUCK!

Check out the sticky (post at the very top of this page) as well!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Wasena, Old Southwest, and Raleigh Court seem like solid places for you OP. I'm a VA-newbie as well coming from NY, but I've been doing quite a bit of research in the Roanoke/Lynchburg areas. Roanoke seems to have some really awesome neighborhoods fairly close to each other.

Wasena and Old Southwest will probably be the lesser affordable neighborhoods. Probably right on par with decent sections of Greensboro. We visited Greensboro a few weeks ago and definitely see what you mean by wanting to get out. Not that Greensboro sucks, I just think the VA cities have a much nicer vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area