Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,037,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
You are refferring to Sweet Chalybeate and Sweet Springs. Here is a link. Sweet Springs, Monroe County, WV
Thanks!

From your link, about the old resort, "...the buildings stood empty and in declining condition before being bought by some investors who plan to restore it to its former position as a fashionable resort for people looking for beautiful surroundings, with a choice of many popular and healthful activities and gourmet meals."

When we last went by there it appeared there was some cleaning up going on. That was probably 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:11 PM

246 posts, read 779,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
I was a little worried that the folks in Virginia would think of us as odd country hillbillys

You never, ever have to worry about that. You have to be pretty darned hillbilly to be more hillbilly than anybody in Covington.

That's not a booming area. It's a little depressed--people in Roanoke who favor progress like to say, "You don't want us to end up like Covington." But it is very beautiful if you like the outdoors and outdoor activities.

You may want to consider Botetourt County. Daleville is a growing bedroom community of a few thousand people with shopping and amenities. It's not too far from Covington or Roanoke.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 PM

246 posts, read 779,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
VA doesn't have any large natural lakes
Just two: Mountain Lake and Lake Drummond!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 AM

88 posts, read 178,815 times
Thanks Dave... we have looked everywhere from Botetourt county to Lexington to Bath County. They're all great communities... each with fabulous views. The main reason we are looking more in Covington is that Hubby doesn't want a big commute. Around here (texas) 32 miles is 32 minutes up the road (can anyone say "flat land"...lol)... we're finding that in VA 32 miles could be anywhere from 45-55 minute drive with roads winding around the mountainous terrain. So.. as much as we'd love to live closer to the big city... it looks like it will be Covington area. And ya never know... every big city probably started out small so maybe there's still hope for that area!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,349 times
We are thinking about relocating to Roanoke from Central Texas hopefully by May or June of next year. We are coming up the week before christmas to check it out I have an 8 year old son and we really hope there is snow. Some of the houses we have been looking at are in Hurt elementary school district any info on that school?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Default update

Well.... here we are still waiting for that perfect home to hit the market in Covington. Hubby is working there already.... coming home to Texas on the weekends... which really stinks! We are trying to be patient and not just settle on something we don't really want. My question is this.... I read about how awesome Alleghany County is from folks on these threads.... so why is it that there are no new housing developments going up there? There is an obvious need for new housing there because many people are forced to look in Fincastle for lack of new homes in Covington. We have even thought of buying land and having something custom built; but have no idea what costs or time frame would be involved. So... we wait on God.... trusting that it will all work out.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,170,371 times
Have you considered building? In that area you might get an exceptionally good deal from a hungry builder. If you're into log homes then there are a ton of log home builders. Over here we also have modular home builders that don't make grandma's modular homes anymore:

North American Housing - Homepage (http://www.northamericanhousing.com/default.htm - broken link)

The above company has a manufacturing location in Boones Mill, VA.

If you go modular one of the major benefits is that once the land is acquired and construction contracts signed, you might I'm guessing get into your house in 4-6 months. In Virginia, custom home construction can really drag on because I understand builders use a Cost Plus system, which stages out payments and builds in profit return at each stage. This provides less incentive to hurry up and finish someone's house, and builders tend to round robin between more houses to minimize voids in their schedule. Better for them, and cheaper for you, but it can make a house take 12 months to finish.

Sean

Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 AM

210 posts, read 1,136,109 times
Sandra I think most of the big developers or at least the ones who use to develop subdivisions in that area have died off. I know that there are plans for a new one but its kinda iffy right now. I've still been watching and asking for you. I am now looking for us too. We will be moving that way in the near future.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 AM

38 posts, read 112,580 times
I have realtives in Alleghany/Covington and a very trusted relator in Alleghany and the surrounding counties in Larry Dew from James River Realty check it out he might be of good help!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
Sandra I think most of the big developers or at least the ones who use to develop subdivisions in that area have died off. I know that there are plans for a new one but its kinda iffy right now. I've still been watching and asking for you. I am now looking for us too. We will be moving that way in the near future.
oh no... competetion for the already slim market there! lol... just kidding Cathy! Good luck and yes.... please still keep us in mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area