Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Roanoke area, seeking job hunting advice, some college experience, 15 years middle management experience, state of local job market

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 116,127 times

Advertisements

Hi Dave...
Well wouldn't ya know... It's indeed a small world!
Born and raised in Greenville... but was carted all over "Down East" as a kid with a "Traveling Salesman" for a Dad....Left at 18 for Uncle Sam's Navy...
Still have my Dad there.. and friends...Were you a Pirate?

Finally settled in "Little" Washington back in '85.. stayed until '94.. Was a photojournalist for The Washington Daily News....3 years... Ran a few boatyards too...Divorced, then back to G'ville for 2 more years...
Since then... Triangle (Cary for 12 years) and now the Triad (Yikes!) for the past 2 or so. I still Sail a lot down near Oriental, New Bern and Bath.. Mostly racing.. some cruising..Still Love the water.. Especially "Bluewater" sailing.

Was in "Noke from last Wednesday 'till today...Taking it all in and still looking for work...I've really stepped up efforts to get myself there.. Very probably, Roanoke's going to be "The Last Stop".
Funny ....how a "Sand Lapper" can see his future in the Roanoke Valley isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 116,127 times
Thanks New Guy...
Great information and encouragement for me!... Of course your opinion is relevant... and I "Thank You" for taking the time to put it out there.. I was telling Dave that I was in Roanoke for the past 5 days... and it was great...

I HAVE been doing quite a lot of interviewing too...(For the past 6 months..) Most of it positive.. but wasted in places I wasn't sure I wanted to be.. Atlanta, Columbia, SC, Raleigh etc..
But I've finally decided on Roanoke.. it has to be. Too much good there for me to ignore..It says a great deal to me that I can already claim some sort of "bond" with the area and feel that I have so much in common with a place and it's people.

I've had some great experiences of living in some great areas. The Coastal Plain of N.C.; The Triangle (Piedmont) of N.C.; and even The Mid-South (Memphis) for about 10 years.. Even though I still have a great deal of salt water in my veins.. I feel as if Roanoke is the place I need to finally stop.. and I am indeed excited about it.
I suppose J1N's post above says quite a bit about my desire for a life there...
Living Simply.. and enjoying the true joys of life is really what it is all about to me. I feel as if Roanoke is the place I can do that.

I share your view of Roanoke's collision course with a variety of opportunities...
Not a scientific view admittedly... but with my experiences and all I see and hear.. the "Gut Instinct" I have is something I have come to really pay attention to and depend on..

Good Luck to us and our search... It is meant to be...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM

246 posts, read 782,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsn1203 View Post
Hi Dave...
Well wouldn't ya know... It's indeed a small world!
Born and raised in Greenville... but was carted all over "Down East" as a kid with a "Traveling Salesman" for a Dad....Left at 18 for Uncle Sam's Navy...
Still have my Dad there.. and friends...Were you a Pirate?

Finally settled in "Little" Washington back in '85.. stayed until '94.. Was a photojournalist for The Washington Daily News....3 years... Ran a few boatyards too...Divorced, then back to G'ville for 2 more years...
Since then... Triangle (Cary for 12 years) and now the Triad (Yikes!) for the past 2 or so. I still Sail a lot down near Oriental, New Bern and Bath.. Mostly racing.. some cruising..Still Love the water.. Especially "Bluewater" sailing.

Was in "Noke from last Wednesday 'till today...Taking it all in and still looking for work...I've really stepped up efforts to get myself there.. Very probably, Roanoke's going to be "The Last Stop".
Funny ....how a "Sand Lapper" can see his future in the Roanoke Valley isn't it?
Ha! Too funny. I knew Brownie Futrell well when I worked in Washington from 1996-97. Great little town. I remember the Dairy Palace, Bill's Hot Dogs...The hurricanes haven't been kind, though. We got flooded in 1996 from Bertha and Fran. I've been to Oriental, New Bern, and Bath many times. I was a Pirate briefly, in grad school, from 1994-96.

I'd say Roanoke is about as far as you can get from racing on the Pamlico Sound! We'll get back to the coast some day. Eastern NC is a great little backwater...so much history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area