Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 PM

25 posts, read 80,935 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!

My wife and I are thinking of moving to the area in about a year. She will be attending Liberty university and I have a few questions.
We're trying to decide between Roanoke and Lynchburg, and there's a few things I'd like to know.

1. Winter weather. My wife hates the wind, but I love snow. Which city would suit these two things better?
2. If we choose Roanoke, how long or difficult would it be to commute to Liberty in Lynchburg about 3 times a week?
3. Are there any neighborhoods in either city that we should avoid? (Crime, housing)
4. Is there any kind of racism we should know about (I am hispanic, though surely don't act it)
5. I work in the hospitality industry, which city would be better suited?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM

192 posts, read 631,114 times
Hi!
Roanoke and Lynchburg both have "some" wind. It isn't sustained and lasts for a day or so.
The commute is "approximately" 1 hour (depending where you live in Roanoke) I used to drive to L'burg every day. I found the beautiful drive something I looked forward to.
Once you come to Roanoke to look at neighborhoods you will know which are for you - and which ones are not suitable! We have many great neighborhoods suiting many different criteria.
Don't be the least bit concerned about being hispanic. Roanoke is very diverse, and we celebrate it!!
I used to be in the hospitality industry and I truly think your possibilities are much better in Roanoke.
Hope this helps!!! (by the way my husband is from L'burg and I know the city well, it's a great place)
good luck!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Thank you very much! It really seems that Roanoke is probably the better option. After doing some research it seems the area is very great and very accepting.
I would like a little bit more info on how the winters are. I've heard from several people that winter driving is not too bad (we're from Texas, but I've lived in Northern Virginia before).
I'm just abit concerned because my wife is nt too fond of cold weather (which is why we chose VA instead of somewhere in the ultra-cold midwest). She doesn't mind cold weather itself, but wind during cold weather she hates.
I read somewhere in the threads that Roanoke is windier because its in a valley, but it was written by a guy who seems to hate the area (as opposed to 99% of you who love it!). Is there any truth to this?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
I remember that wind discussion and the cranky poster who claimed that Roanoke is too windy was flat out wrong. Here is a good reference:

Wind- Average Wind Speed- (MPH)

According to that page, Roanoke has an average annual wind speed of 7.9 mph. That is less wind than almost all metros in Texas. It looks to have nearly identical average wind speeds as Houston. Hope this helps.

Winter driving isn't bad. You'll have a handful of snowy days and a handful of icy days, but people here on the ice drive slow-like-turtle when it's slippery so it's not a madhouse during inclement weather.

Sean

Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKenobi View Post
Hi y'all!

4. Is there any kind of racism we should know about (I am hispanic, though surely don't act it)
I am quite puzzled here, how does Hispanics act?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
LOL, i guess it may be different in Texas, but many hispanics wanna hold on to their heritage like their life depends on it. They wanna keep speaking their language, eating their food and push hispanic culture instead of adapting to America.
And please don't get me wrong, I love diversity (which made this country what it is), but i think there's a difference between adding your little piece of heritage and closing off to receiving the heritage of a nation that has welcomed and accepted you.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM

246 posts, read 781,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
They work at car washes.

Anybody remember that thread?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 AM

895 posts, read 2,094,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I remember that wind discussion and the cranky poster who claimed that Roanoke is too windy was flat out wrong. Here is a good reference:

Wind- Average Wind Speed- (MPH)

Sean
Sean- how in the world did you find that ?!?!

MasterKenobi- I own a business in Lynchburg and had a Mexican business partner for 5 years; I couldn't have asked for a better business relationship than that one.
In regards to diversity, neither Roanoke or Lynchburg are unfriendly to other cultures or have issues with people of other nationalities. If your research showed otherwise, it is flawed. Jobs in the medical field can also be had in both cities; Roanoke might have more openings, but there are jobs at Centra Health in Lynchburg, also. Why would your wife want to make the 2 hr. round trip three days a week when you all could go to school and work in the same city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area