Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times

Advertisements

In a price war, Ukrop's could never come out on top against a Food Lion or Kroger unless they were to sacrifice everything else that makes the place a unique experience. They have higher labor costs because their stores require more employees and they pay/reward them well. Ukrop's is incredibly small (with its small band of less than 30 stores) when compared to Kroger. They have less leverage than the big boys with their suppliers regarding pricing. In a market like Roanoke, Kroger could probably superficially lower their prices to inhibit the entry of a small player like Ukrop's and be perfectly fine.

If Roanokers can support Ukrop's, they can reap the major community benefits of having them in town. They would inevitably contribute greatly to local causes, organizations, schools, events, sports, etc. And while not technically local to Roanoke, they are a family owned Virginia company, supporting local businesses and farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 13,942 times
As stated very well by richmondPics

If Roanokers can support Ukrop's, they can reap the major community benefits of having them in town. They would inevitably contribute greatly to local causes, organizations, schools, events, sports, etc. And while not technically local to Roanoke, they are a family owned Virginia company, supporting local businesses and farmers.[/quote]

This, I believe is a big part of Ukrops Niche....it won't happen overnight. But if they can sustain this economy in Roanoke with support from shoppers in the Roanoke valley, the community as a whole could benefit greatly and perhaps some of those special needs and projects in the valley (whatever they maybe) may find some unexpected and rewarding support down the road.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM

246 posts, read 782,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
everything else that makes the place a unique experience
Like what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
If Roanokers can support Ukrop's, they can reap the major community benefits of having them in town. They would inevitably contribute greatly to local causes, organizations, schools, events, sports, etc. And while not technically local to Roanoke, they are a family owned Virginia company, supporting local businesses and farmers.
No one cares. If people cared about stores being community-oriented, they'd never shop at Wal-Mart, which siphons all your cash off to Arkansas and then to China. And Wal-Mart is doing really, really well in Roanoke. They're building a new super center to replace the smaller store in Clearbrook. That's one more grocery store on the same road in basically the same part of town as Ukrop's.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,449 times
Ukrops kicks the crap out of Kroger.

I like how in Ukrops, you ask an employee where something is and they walk you to it!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Like what?

No one cares. If people cared about stores being community-oriented, they'd never shop at Wal-Mart, which siphons all your cash off to Arkansas and then to China. And Wal-Mart is doing really, really well in Roanoke. They're building a new super center to replace the smaller store in Clearbrook. That's one more grocery store on the same road in basically the same part of town as Ukrop's.
They are known for having superior customer service, quality, and freshness. Their prepared foods are particularly good - and if not made on site are prepared daily at their main kitchen and bakery in Richmond. They have exclusive cattle ranches out west and produce their own shrimp. When Alaskan salmon are in season, they fly them in fresh next day to their stores. I could bore you with other things but the point is they are unique compared to a Kroger or Food Lion or a Wal-mart.

Where does Wal-mart not do really well? No one can beat Wal-Mart on price. The point wasn't that people should shop their because of community participation. Rather, their community involvement is something that will happen regardless (something everyone in Roanoke will benefit from), if they are able to remain in the Roanoke community. Richmond and Williamsburg have certainly reaped the benefits. And, while many people may not care about supporting local companies/farmers, community involvement, etc... there are many others that do.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Talking Ukrop's!

Hey everyone, I have been reading all the posts both here and on Roanoke.com. I have to say I think some of the comments are very backwards and it saddens me that so many people dont shop at Ukrop's because we are closed on Sundays and dont sell alcohol. It makes me really sad. I am very thankful for the positive comments too. To the poster praising how they treat their associates.. You couldnt be more correct! I have had the oppourtunity to work for them for the past 5 years (my first real job). In those five years I have gone from a courtesy clerk living with my parents going to high school to a department lead living on my own in Roanoke. I enjoy being off on Sundays, getting two weeks paid vacations and all the other benefits that come with working for them. I agree that we need to all work together to keep them here. I have worked at 4 Ukrop's in my 5 years and I honestly think the store here is my favorite of those that I've worked at. Our store manager has got to be the nicest guy I have ever worked for. He truely cares about this community. And yes we have supported numerious local events and charities in the valley. If you havent been into Ukrop's give us another look! I hope to see you soon!

Last edited by Teebyrd86; 12-12-2008 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 AM

The Sunday thing doesn't bother me really, but I wouldn't mind it if they loosened up on alcohol. Granted, in many cases, the fact they don't sell alcohol creates opportunities for mom and pops (lots of wine shops in Ukrop's shopping centers in Richmond)... I still think Ukrop's could very tastefully pull off a quality wine section (perhaps with microbrews, specialty beers etc), particularly in their larger stores.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM

105 posts, read 352,128 times
Default This is great!!

Although Ukrops might be at some times more pricey than Wal Mart or others, it is best for the state if people shop at this store. If you think about it, Ukrops is employing Virginians, and putting the money (what you spent there) back into Virginias economy. Because when you spend your money at Wal Mart, it goes to Arkansas.

I would love to have a Ukrops up here in Arlington.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times
WalMart pays people in Virginia, pays local property and sales taxes and many people in VA are invested in WalMart stock one way or another. A narrow isolationist view is uneconomic and silly. A successful Walmart store is better for the economy than a failing store of another brand and provides better value to buyers.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 AM

246 posts, read 782,390 times
Default Correction!

6-packs of 24-oz Diet Pepsis are regularly 4/$11 at Food Lion, not 3/$11.00, which means that Food Lion's normal price is $0.25 cheaper than Ukrop's super-one-day-special price.

You know, the Hotel Roanoke provides great service, too, but a lot more folks stay at the Holiday Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area