Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times

Advertisements

Meaning, what streets are bad? What sections of the city are not safe? Etc.? Etc.? Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
South of downtown and east of 5th/Memorial/Fort except for Historic Districts. Mostly the close-in portions. Gets better as you go farther out. All of 24503 zip code most desirable.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
South of downtown and east of 5th/Memorial/Fort except for Historic Districts. Mostly the close-in portions. Gets better as you go farther out. All of 24503 zip code most desirable.
How about 24504 and 24505 zip codes?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:17 PM

42 posts, read 131,164 times
Watch out for use of zip codes to check on neighborhoods.

24503 is suppose to THE PLACE TO LIVE, but it starts down town in the old part of town (and goes all of the way out to the Country Club set.

I am in the 04 zip code but live 8 miles outside of Lynchburg, go figure.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM

Unless you are into restoring old homes and like the idea of "historic neighborhoods", I would avoid White Rock Hill, Federal Hill, Cabell Street, College Hill, Fairview Heights, Daniel Hill.

There are many good low and middle class neighborhoods in Lynchburg. Fort Hill, Chestnut Hill, Forest Hills, Windsor Hills, Sandusky, Vista Acres, Richland Hills, Rainbow Forest.

As you might guess, Lynchburg sits on a lot of hills, it is known as "THE HILL CITY". There are 7 original named hills, most are listed in the first paragraph. As the city expanded it took in many neighborhoods that had hill in it's name.

A "good" real estate agent should point you in the right direction.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Thank you, Roadrunner!!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I was born and grew up in Lynchburg and moved away 40 years ago. I use to go back a lot but most family has died off in those 40 years. The last time I was up there was around 1989. I miss walking the streets and a lot of places I grew up seeing but never have missed the winters there. I couldn't take the cold winters and moved to the deep south.

ROADRUNNER, you mentioned "historic neighborhoods" and Cabell street as one of them? Has Cabell street been named a historical neighborhood? I have a ton of wonderful memories from Cabell street. The house at 929 Cabells Street is the house my Grandfather built to raise his family in (if my memory serves me correctly). My Dad grew up in that house and so did his brothers and sister. McCraw was our family name. Grandma and Grandaddy died in that house. It was a lovely home filled with lots of love. I always hated that the house was sold after they all died. I still remember the smell of that house.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Laura707, Cabell Street especially "Point of Honor" is designated a historic district. Try these links. Lynchburg's Downtown Residential Historic Districts--Virginia Main Street Communities: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
Daniels Hill Historic District, Lynchburg_City, Independent Cities, Lynchburg VA 24504

You will be interested to know Lynchburg's winters don't seem to be as cold as the were in the past.
The Point of Honor is in the one-hundred block about 8 blocks east of your family's home. I don't know if the district extends that far or not. The end near Rivermont Ave has had crime problems in the recent past.
You will not recognize Lynchburg, if it has been almost 20 years since you were last here.
If you attended EC Glass High School, you will find it is still functioning and was recently remodled from top to bottom. It is completly air conditioned now.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have heard the winters are not as harsh as they use to be.. Hay, I remember 9* nights, fresh snow on top of ice that stayed around for awhile. My oldest son lives in Glouster, Va. and his grandmother (90+ years old) still lives in Lynchburg and he goes there often to visit her. I simply could not take the cold harsh winters!

The section on Cabell street where Grandma lived and up to Rivermount Ave. was changing before the house was sold, I think that was why none of us were interested in keeping the house.

I have often thought of taking the train back up, seeing if my son would come pick me up and we spend a few days exploring my old stomping grounds. I would love to see the city again before I get to old to travel anymore.

I have a some questions, the last pictures I saw of the Monument Terrace, it had a fence around it on the lower end. Was that permanant or just a temporary thing. GOD! I remember trying to do the whole thing without stopping and I never could.. What is downtown, Main street like now between 12th and 5th?

(Thanks for your fast response, I expected not to even get a response at all!)

Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Monument Terrace is all renovated and the museum is open

What We Have Now (http://www.downtownlynchburg.com/pages/what_we_have.htm - broken link)

Also other good things are happening.

The Hook News Blog » Blog Archive » Starlight shines bright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area