U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM

651 posts, read 820,856 times
About 10 years ago, city officials were asked to approve a major shopping center at the intersection of Graves Mill and the Expressway; it was a great opportunity to have a reputable developer (the same company that built the mall) build out a 500,000 sf center anchored by a Home Depot and some land for future growth. The developer was willing to pay for all the necessary road improvements, to boot. The council nixed it; there was no good reason, other than the stated desire to continue to build out Wards Rd. as opposed to having new retail in a previously undeveloped parcel. Some suggested that a certain family that owned the hardware store across the street had the ear of several on council. Scroll forward 7 years- Wards is mostly developed within the city limits and is sending potential new development (tax revenue) into the county; Home Depot built alone on the Graves Mill site (after Lowes successfully got the zoning changed, but backed out of the deal) and the city picked up the tab for the road improvements. The Old Graves Mill ext. was the biggest improvement that the city has paid for in that area; it would have been paid for by the original developer, had the city had any foresight. When Wards Xing West began construction, it was funny to hear all the same city officials complaining about the retail sales tax revenue that will be heading into county coffers. Not that Wards wouldn't fill up, but the city has had opportunities to spread out retail dev't in years past and now we are reaping the rewards. New growth is heading into the county and there is very little wiggle room along the corridor for road improvements that are needed due to the rapidly growing crowd in the only major shopping area in the region.
That's why I don't like Wards Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 AM

174 posts, read 302,196 times
I really liked Wards Road. Of course, I was only in Lynchburg to shop. I thought it was set up well, all of the shopping was right at my fingertips. I feel like I will travel back there when I feel like doing some major shopping again. I guess I will travel back there sometime between now and Saturday since I got $50 in Kohl's cash.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM

772 posts, read 1,291,348 times
Coming from some REAL cities (Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle) I just have to laugh when I hear all the horror stories about Wards Road. I'm used to seeing half mile backups on the highway exits just leading to the major shopping areas during busy times. I don't think I ever spent more than a few minutes negotiating the traffic on Wards Road.
BTW the city did approve a nother major shopping center away from Wards Road across from Billy Craft Honda with all the street improvements paid mostly by the developer. Unfortunately the developer died suddenly and the project is on hold. The decline in the economy sealed that fate.

Lynchburg's Lakeside Centre a go after a year of setbacks | Lynchburg News Advance

Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM

39 posts, read 35,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ADRUNNER View Post
There are friendly and unfriendly here. The majority are friendly. Drive the back roads and the older drivers of the cars you meet wave or acknowledge you someway. The younger ones could care less, if you are lucky they might give you half of the road.

In the mall when it is not busy the people will nod as you pass. Like most places there are times when everything is rushed and people have a lot on their minds.

Most people will acknowledge your presence and even hold the door open for you. But. we even have a few women's lib college students that take offense at this. They go back north when college is out.

Overall, I think you will find us a lot more friendly than most large cities.

When you come to visit, I hope you will be well received.

I have visited Kentucky twice and was impressed with their friendliness.
Lynchburg is generally friendly, but not as friendly as Texas I think. I mean the folks are really nice but due to the fact that it is reasonabl small it can be a little clicky. They may be friendly in nature but will not take you into their fold, if that is what you are looking for. You have to make your own life here.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM

931 posts, read 2,565,722 times
The majority of Lynchburg is rude and unfriendly. I drive through it every once in a while, but I would never set foot there.

People are extremely hostile and will point a gun at you if you sprinkle a smile at the wrong moment.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM

15,960 posts, read 8,817,090 times
Are you guys talking about one and the same Lynchburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area