Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,608,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Dude, Teebyrd86, if you're going to insult me, then please have the courtesy to do so privately. This is a public forum. When I do disagree with someone in a public forum, I work very hard to express my opinion respectfully and in a way that does not undermine the integrity or character of the individual I am disagreeing with. I try to treat the group here exactly as I would were I talking with them in person. This includes being as honest and genuine polite as I can be. It also includes, you know, not talking trash about someone else in the group, particularly if they can hear me
Sean I dont believe that was an insult but an OPINION, howcome I cant have an opinion too??? I dont feel I trashed you. I sent you a pm explaining some of the reasons you irritate me. Yes I kept that privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,569,421 times
I would say if you are a more traditional person, Roanoke would probably suit you better. If you like a lot of diversity, then Winston-Salem would be a better choice. Roanoke is also further North and more in the mountains, so it would be cooler in the Summer and Winter. I am a North Carolina native and it would be no contest for me. I would choose Roanoke. I have never felt safe in Winston-Salem. I think Winston-Salem has wonderful hospitals.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Winsto...-Carolina.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Roanoke-Virginia.html

Last edited by NCN; 12-23-2008 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

17 posts, read 56,978 times
I would definitely choose Roanoke over Winston Salem. Roanoke is a much cleaner and safer city and the arts community is really taking off there. Winston does probably have better shopping but you can find most of what you need in Roanoke. And when it comes to natural scenery then Roanoke wins hands down! The mountains, lakes and rivers here are truly amazing. There is any outdoor activity imaginable and that is especially good when raising a family. Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,285 times
Roanoke off course Roanoke obviously has better Skyscrapers than Winston Salem and better job rates than Winston. And the state of North Carolina sucks Virginia Washington and Montana are better states.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM

238 posts, read 337,157 times
Roanokes tallest building is about 21 stories. IMO Id like to see more vertical structures especially condos/apartments or Hotels
which take advantage of the mountain views. In the future I hope builders will be sensitive to the natural surroundings here and
the efforts local investors have taken to bring back to life many older buildings downtown. The sterile high rise structures may
work in Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston Salem as those cities have destroyed so much of their past and they are creating a 21st
century look. Tall modern buildings are interesting to look at but they block out light on downtown streets creating an unsafe
atmosphere. As more growth continues downtown I think Roanoke should discuss height limits on new buildings. I like Winston
the people are very friendly and like Greensboro, Charlotte they love super tall buildings.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 AM

895 posts, read 2,090,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingGames100 View Post
Roanoke off course Roanoke obviously has better Skyscrapers than Winston Salem....
Not that I'm singing the praises of Winston, but it is much larger than Roanoke AND has taller buildings!
1. 100 North Main Street 34 stories
2 Winston Tower 29 stories
3 GMAC Tower 31 stories
4 Reynolds Building 21 stories
5 BB&T Financial Center 21 stories
6 Nissen Building 20 stories

Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM

696 posts, read 1,425,709 times
Roanoke is better than Winston. Winston doesn't even have its own mountains! Plus Ziggy's is closing in Winston and Kirk Ave. is reopening here in #Rke. No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area