Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM

69 posts, read 273,253 times

Advertisements

This is the first winter we have lived in our home and first home using heating oil. I'm just curious about other people's habits with oil heat.

We got our tank filled in September and have kept the thermostat on 55 and it's half empty already! Much quicker than we thought it would go.

We are going to look at putting more insulation in the attic and getting a new thermostat.

How many times a year do you fill up your tank?

Thanks,
Kitty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,174,368 times
How many gallons can your tank hold?

A $50 digital thermostat would really pay off. You could set Wake, Daytime, Evening and Sleep settings. Also, if it is an older house, consider thermostat placement. If it's draftier at the thermostat, the thermostat location might read 55F but half the house could be much warmer.

Before dealing with attic insulation consider hiring a home inspector to assess the condition of the home and to identify your primary sources of heat loss.

Sean

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
Me and my husband lived in a house in Vinton with oil heat and let me just say I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN! The cost was extremely expensive. Our oil tank was a 300 gallon tank at the time I could only afford to put 100 gallons into it and that alone costed me $275 (approx 2 years ago) and I would have to do that every 2 weeks. We were spending $525 a month just on heat. Granite the heat was awesome, we loved it very very warm but just to expensive. I'll stick with my gas heat any day!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,604,758 times
I live in an apartment with oil heat. Fortunatly I dont have to pay for it but my landlord says it costs roughly $1000 a month to rent the 8 unit building. I agree the heat is very comfortable although a little too dry for my sensitive allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area