Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What are the people here like? Are a lot of them genuinely nice, or the kind of surface-nice but clique-ish (i.e. narrow-minded)?

Would it be easy for a single, young, educated woman (Asian) to feel comfortable living and making friends in this area?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM

120 posts, read 316,430 times
I think you'd fit in nicely. All kinds of people are moving into Roanoke. We moved here a few months ago, and are pleased with the diversity of families and people.

We have an foreign-born adopted son and no one blinks at our multi-racial family.

The downtown area is magnificent. Shops and galleries and wonderful restaurants. It's a wonderful, small city. I think you'll like it here. We do.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM

430 posts, read 918,984 times
As a woman, probably you have an advanage, men tend to be more tolerant towards opposite sex regardless of race.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

246 posts, read 782,043 times
Roanoke is a fairly open-minded, diverse town.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 AM

192 posts, read 631,150 times
In general we are friendly and welcoming. Of course there are a few "meanies", but that is definitely not the norm. This is a wonderful place to live!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 AM

17 posts, read 57,046 times
I think you would find Roanoke to be very diverse and you should feel comfortable pretty much anywhere you go. Sometimes in the more rural outlying areas you will find those who are not so "open-minded", however these people are still friendly to most any stranger. Roanoke seems to be going through somewhat of a renaissance and this bodes well for people such as yourself who are considering moving here.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Everyone (just about) here is open and welcoming. I have ran into many nice people here and I just hope I can stay here for a lonnng time. I have thought about moving (if I have to) but the thought makes me nervous I dont think there are many places around like Roanoke. We have a small town vibe like no other in my opinion. There is nothing better than being downtown hanging out with friends looking up to the star and the mountains in the background listening to some good music that is what life she be like.. : ) I am somewhat biased I guess but you should definatly fit in nicely here. The way of life here is perfect for me.. laid back, no rat race, I will get there when I can attitude.. No worries just living life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: